Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596221 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.4 released!
« Reply #1965 on: March 30, 2014, 03:28:34 pm »

The names of all these are very cool, it all sounds fantastical, I can't wait to drawn myself into reading what each new world can generate for history. I'd like to point out though, something that's been irking me. The names of civilizations and families. They're too..difficult? Too strange, too unfamiliar. Too hard to remember. If they're to be of importance in the plot, the first thing players will forget will most likely be this. I've gone through the 2 pictures presented, and 2 different civilizations have been talked of. They've been wiped from my memory already(the meteor, green eleven, the math language however, haven't)hope I don't come off as offending

Any possibility in normalizing them, or giving them an english variant, like DF does?

P.S. First picture has a typo in the name of the people for "Rites of the whisperers"

Not at all! I appreciate all feedback :). What kind of english variant do you have in mind? Also, I suspect that as the game goes on that will become less and less the case with a player spending time in the world; additionally, the other distinguishing factors (like flags, political systems, etc) I think will stick in people's minds a lot more. Do you mean the '!' as the typo? That's not a typo - that's a click sound! Language have a small chance of having them.

URR is inspired by Borges, right? So instead of having the names of civilizations and families be random strings of letters, why not lift them wholesale from Borges' work?

For example...Uqbar is more interesting (and sounds like Iraq, so it's familiar) than the feud between Ej-ipox and Ejop-ax.

You raise an interesting point - but Uqbar will be playing a huge plot role in the name in its own right :). And besides, I don't think there would be enough Borgesian civilizations to use anyway.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1966 on: March 31, 2014, 12:02:02 pm »

Distributed a test build to a couple of friends and feedback on the histories and the encyclopedia is very positive, especially in terms of the subtle (Dark-Souls-esque, I hope) hints towards the game's story hidden within them. Release tentatively planned for Saturday the 12th!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: March 31, 2014, 04:08:21 pm »

Glorious news indeed.

Good luck getting it out there! Very excited to have a play with it.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1968 on: April 01, 2014, 01:38:34 pm »

Glorious news indeed.

Good luck getting it out there! Very excited to have a play with it.

Thanks :). I think people will really like what's being set up in this release...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1969 on: April 02, 2014, 06:39:04 am »

Finishing off Cities in the encyclopedia; now shows high-level map, owner, owner flag, list of districts, with space for more info later...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1970 on: April 03, 2014, 04:42:11 pm »

Well... that's never happened before.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 03, 2014, 05:07:54 pm »

That looks quite defensible. Really nice deep water port.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 03, 2014, 05:14:09 pm »

Yep, too bad you can only get there by boat... or I guess swimming.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 03, 2014, 05:30:43 pm »

That's almost a really awesome feature. Give it a narrow bridge out from the mainland and that'd be a great thing to have crop up on rare occasions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: April 03, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »

Is it a bug or is it located on a small island?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1975 on: April 04, 2014, 08:05:12 pm »

Yep, too bad you can only get there by boat... or I guess swimming.

That's almost a really awesome feature. Give it a narrow bridge out from the mainland and that'd be a great thing to have crop up on rare occasions.

Thanks all :). Yeah, it's pretty neat. Rare, but I rather like it. It should crop up occasionally.

Is it a bug or is it located on a small island?

The latter!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1976 on: April 06, 2014, 08:13:39 am »

We’re now just a week away from releasing version 0.5! This version sees the addition of feudal cities & towns, nomadic fortresses and hunter-gatherer settlements to the world map; the creation of colonies by civilizations so inclined; an encyclopedia function that tells you everything about the world you’ve so far learned; a number of generated in-game histories which hint towards NPCs, items and plot points of interest; several tens of thousands of possible family sigils along with family trees for important houses; distinct flags for each type of civilization, and symbols for religions and cults; and various other small fixes, tweaks, memory/speed optimizations, etc etc. This week’s entry is going to be a summary of what’s happened in the last week, then next week – on the 12th – I’ll be releasing 0.5!

First off, for those who didn’t see this on Facebook, Twitter or elsewhere, this week the game really surprised me for the first time in a while by producing this rather tremendous city upon a small island (with a single slum just on the outside) and only accessible by docks:

This in turn raised several things I’ll need to take account of for the next release, 0.6, when I’ll be generating the interiors of cities, towns, fortresses and settlements! Which is – what if a city has no roads? Or what if a town is completely enclosed by mountains? I’ll need to have the game recognize that and ensure the former can only be accessed by docks, for example, or ensure a mountain pass is generated to access the latter. It shouldn’t be too tricky to do that, but I’m glad this brought those possibilities to my attention.

I’ve also updated the “choose a save” screen, so it now looks something like this. For this release it just lists every civilization, but in the future it will naturally only list those you have actually encountered:

And now some other more general notes:

- There will only be three cults visible in the in-game histories for this release and in the encyclopedia; these are the cults that will relate to the three early-game areas. Others are being coded in the game but will remain hidden for the time being. Likewise, only certain languages will show up in the “discoveries” list, but this will expand as versions go on.

- Although you can view nomadic fortresses and hunter-gatherer settlements in the encyclopedia, there is (as of yet) not a lot of information about these. I’m still working on precisely how they’re going to be structured, so there will be more on that in the near future.

- The resources map has been changed to the “resources and trade” map which displays roads as well as mineral resources, and will later show naval trade routes, mountain passes, etc (passes will show on the normal map too, but they’ll just be highlighted on this one).

- I’ve adapted the ziggurats to feature the correct language – though in this version you can still auto-translate the clues – and I’ve also begun some work under-the-hood for displaying other languages, allowing you to keep track of your information on languages, etc.

And that’s pretty much everything. See you next week for 0.5′s release!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: April 07, 2014, 08:35:56 pm »

This game sounds amazing. PtW.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1978 on: April 08, 2014, 04:45:33 am »

This game sounds amazing. PtW.

Well, thank you :).

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1979 on: April 08, 2014, 09:44:26 am »

Started a little bit of early work on roads and architectural styles today - might even get roads generating on the human scale (as in, not on the world map) before this release is out! Was expecting to leave this until 0.6, but it's going pretty quickly thus far.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 221