Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596225 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.4 released!
« Reply #1995 on: April 12, 2014, 10:24:07 am »

Ah, thanks for the link, now it's clear. Well, it's as shame that you dropped the original ideas, those were awesome and unique. Now this will be yet another dungeon crawler baiscally. Oh well, it is your game, so I won't complain. It's just that the original plans sounded much more epic. IMHO of course.  :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1996 on: April 12, 2014, 10:34:25 am »

Ah, thanks for the link, now it's clear. Well, it's as shame that you dropped the original ideas, those were awesome and unique. Now this will be yet another dungeon crawler baiscally. Oh well, it is your game, so I won't complain. It's just that the original plans sounded much more epic. IMHO of course.  :)

With all due respect, another dungeon crawl is *PRECISELY* what it will not be. There's no magic, minimal combat (and combat there is will be wholly unlike other roguelikes, and will instead be a timing/rhythm style akin to a turn-based Dark Souls, for lack of a better description), basically no fantasy creatures, a lot of procedural graphic generation (other dungeon crawlers have that?!), cryptography and procedurally-generated languages, and will be heavily focused around a certain unique mechanic do to with history and knowledge which I haven't fully unveiled yet. "Dungeon" is perhaps too broad a word, or one that evokes certain things, but it will be nothing like your Nethack, DCSS, whatever (as much as I love those games). If I failed to express this in that blog post, that's my mistake, but rest assured nothing like the central mechanics I have in mind have *ever* been done in a game before (whereas armies, 4X etc, all have). I don't think a game with "places in which you do things" instantly becomes a dungeon crawler!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:47:32 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1997 on: April 12, 2014, 04:20:16 pm »

Have been alerted to a pair of very rare crash bugs, and a couple of very minor non-crash bugs; will be releasing 0.5.1 probably tomorrow!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: April 12, 2014, 04:30:40 pm »

With all due respect, another dungeon crawl is *PRECISELY* what it will not be. There's no magic, minimal combat (and combat there is will be wholly unlike other roguelikes, and will instead be a timing/rhythm style akin to a turn-based Dark Souls, for lack of a better description), basically no fantasy creatures, a lot of procedural graphic generation (other dungeon crawlers have that?!), cryptography and procedurally-generated languages, and will be heavily focused around a certain unique mechanic do to with history and knowledge which I haven't fully unveiled yet. "Dungeon" is perhaps too broad a word, or one that evokes certain things, but it will be nothing like your Nethack, DCSS, whatever (as much as I love those games). If I failed to express this in that blog post, that's my mistake, but rest assured nothing like the central mechanics I have in mind have *ever* been done in a game before (whereas armies, 4X etc, all have). I don't think a game with "places in which you do things" instantly becomes a dungeon crawler!

I love what are you doing here. In the beggining I thought it would be just a DF's adventure mode clone, but it is turning to be a very unique game. Go on, it is looking great.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1999 on: April 12, 2014, 06:09:39 pm »

I love what are you doing here. In the beggining I thought it would be just a DF's adventure mode clone, but it is turning to be a very unique game. Go on, it is looking great.

Thanks very much :).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: April 12, 2014, 08:31:26 pm »

Independently, I would not have associated the culture-politics sim aspects of URR with the Borgesian focus on mystery and puzzle solving. I find it hard to imagine they melding into a cohesive gameplay experience. One aspects seems to revolve around solo exploration of isolated dungeons and relies on the player's skills and knowledge, while the other seems to involve managing armies and balancing constantly shifting allegiances as the world outside the ziggurats evolves.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2001 on: April 13, 2014, 03:10:42 pm »

Independently, I would not have associated the culture-politics sim aspects of URR with the Borgesian focus on mystery and puzzle solving. I find it hard to imagine they melding into a cohesive gameplay experience. One aspects seems to revolve around solo exploration of isolated dungeons and relies on the player's skills and knowledge, while the other seems to involve managing armies and balancing constantly shifting allegiances as the world outside the ziggurats evolves.

Thanks for the message. It's... tricky to answer this question without giving too much away, but I can totally see why it might seem like a strange meld. The best answer I can give it that the former - the exploration and puzzle solving - will have a direct effect on the larger world. If you give a look at "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", that might give you a tiny bit of an idea about the idea that actions can change the agreed-upon reality of the world. That's... sort of the idea... but yeah, I totally see where you're coming from. All I can say is "take it from me, the big picture is coherent!", though I know it'll be more convincing when you see it :).

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 13, 2014, 10:52:19 pm »

Downloading the new version now!
Shouldn't the thread title be changed to v0.5 released?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 14, 2014, 03:39:46 am »

Aaaaaaw. :-\
I was really looking forward to the original idea of the strategy-esque URR, and it's sad for me to know that this is no longer in the plans.
But it's your game and I can't change that.

Just letting you know that there's one person less following the project.
I may look at it every now and then, but it's definitely not my "#1 game to make hype about".

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2004 on: April 14, 2014, 02:30:43 pm »

Downloading the new version now!
Shouldn't the thread title be changed to v0.5 released?

Ah, yes! I need to do a big update of screenshots and information here, my blog, a few other sites too; I might get on that tomorrow...

Aaaaaaw. :-\
I was really looking forward to the original idea of the strategy-esque URR, and it's sad for me to know that this is no longer in the plans.
But it's your game and I can't change that.

Just letting you know that there's one person less following the project.
I may look at it every now and then, but it's definitely not my "#1 game to make hype about".

It has been in this new model for over a year now!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2005 on: April 15, 2014, 12:16:45 am »

Well, new bugs arose and I found myself working on 0.6 for most of the last two days, but either way, 0.5.1 will be up some time this afternoon/evening.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2006 on: April 15, 2014, 12:43:36 pm »

Uploaded URR 0.5.1 with a few bug-fixes, now onto 0.6 (first 0.6 look later this week)! http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.5 released!
« Reply #2007 on: April 18, 2014, 03:50:40 am »

As I’m away from tomorrow until the next weekend, this week’s update is a little shorter, and a little bit early for once. First off, thank you all for the awesome response to 0.5 – copies have been flying off the virtual shelves and I’ve got a lot of really supportive feedback, and some important bits of constructive criticism too. Since I don’t know the meaning of “resting on your laurels”, I have already started work on 0.6 and made big strides in generating many of the game’s settlements. I decided to start off with farms, and have created a system for generating farms of various sizes, with various crops and various interior dimensions. Farms are obviously far from finished – I still need to get buildings generating, as well as making the trees in the orchards (currently just generic trees) – but it’s a solid start. I’m leaving the generating of buildings part until I have all the different types of settlement ready for building generation so that I can code it all in one fell-swoop; I expect taking account of all the required factors will end up being quite complex, so I’d like to do it all within a couple of coding days back-to-back.

I’ve also begun to implement some of the basic parts of town generation. It starts off by creating a network of roads appropriate to the type of road going through the town (if any – special cases for isolated towns have not yet been handled) and then spreading buildings along them. There will be a variety of rare and crucial buildings in towns – more on this in some later entry – and then a large amount of general housing and the like. For now, just for the sake of testing the system, the buildings are generating… as lava… but I’m sure you get the idea in the bottom image for how towns will end up looking. The town code as it stands now only took a little over a day and I’m amazed at how interesting these layouts are already looking. Once I start to add buildings to towns I’ll put up another update on that. I’ve started to work on generating architectural styles as well, and varying the materials that civilizations like to construct buildings from, but the next step for towns is basically the creation of a massive building database.

From this point onwards (once I’ve done the few additions to farms I need to do) I’ll be working on the non-building parts of other settlements. I’ve got some very interesting ideas for how hunter-gatherer settlements will generate, but I think I may work on graveyards next, or possibly nomadic fortresses. We’ll see. Either way, I have a train so catch to that’s everything for this week. Let me know what you think of these very early stages, and see you all in eight days.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: April 18, 2014, 02:56:09 pm »

Fancy as always!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: April 18, 2014, 03:22:50 pm »

Looks sweet. It could be a traditional hand sewn pattern.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 221