Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596208 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.5 released!
« Reply #2115 on: July 13, 2014, 08:10:02 am »

Last week I announced that starting in a few months I planned to have an entire year of full-time development on URR. The response here and on other websites has been overwhelming, so I must give a huge thank you – I’m amazed at how excited and positive everyone has been, and I cannot wait to start the year! My objective is to do everything currently on the Development Plan page, and I think that is very achievable within a full year. This year will be starting within a few months (a little bit into the new academic year) and that’s what I mean when I say “next year” within this piece.

Until then, however, I do (alas) need to actually finish my doctorate. I estimate this taking 2-3 months, so I expect to start the full-time year some time in September, depending on exactly how long it takes, when I move house, and various other factors. The second half of next week’s announcement is that my best friend has got a PhD in Game Studies in Lincoln, so we’re both moving there in September, at which point I’ll be starting my full-time year (with a little bit of game studies publication on the side, hopefully). As mentioned last week there will be no Kickstarter, though I do appreciate the willingness many have stated to donate to help me out this year. I may add the possibility for this, but I’m more likely to wait the full year and then evaluate. If, however, the entire coding year goes by and I haven’t yet found a job and I find myself ~15 months from now suddenly entirely lacking in money, I may then set up some form of donation system to potentially keep myself afloat. But that is in the distant future.

So, what now? Well, these next few months I’m unfortunately going to have very little time to program, though I hope to snatch a few hours of coding here and there. The past week I’ve been making a little progress on some more fortress archetypes and the mysterious standing stones in hunter-gatherer settlements, but not enough for a full update. Thus, instead, for these next two months we’re going to have primary game criticism updates. I know a lot of people have enjoyed these in the past and I’ve got a line-up of interesting ideas. Since it would be going off-topic a little, check out the full blog post at http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2014/07/13/the-path-to-next-year/ for details of what these posts are going to be :).

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 13, 2014, 10:14:22 am »

Cool. (Pre-emptive) welcome to Lincolnshire, my home county, I hope you like it there!

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 13, 2014, 10:49:23 am »

Great work! I've been watching this for a good while, but I've yet to play it. How playable is URR at the moment, as of version 0.5.1? Is combat implemented yet? Or are you mainly focusing on the world-building mechanics, to create the framework for the actual gameplay development later on?

As for the name itself, Latin for "The Last Resort of Kings", it seems the phrase, while originally referred to war declarations, has gained a strong connotation towards cannons and artillery over the centuries. Louis XIV of France had it cast on the cannons of his armies, and it's the motto of at least a couple of artillery units. There's also a somewhat related quote from Frederick the Great, "Do not forget your great guns, which are the most respectable arguments of the rights of kings." :P

So that begs a bonus question: will there be cannons? :D

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2118 on: July 13, 2014, 11:15:35 am »

Cool. (Pre-emptive) welcome to Lincolnshire, my home county, I hope you like it there!

Haha, thanks! I've moved around the UK a heck of a lot by the standards of someone who's 24, but I've never been in the East of the UK. I'm visiting for the first time in a few days to have a look around, see where we'd like to live, etc...

Great work! I've been watching this for a good while, but I've yet to play it. How playable is URR at the moment, as of version 0.5.1? Is combat implemented yet? Or are you mainly focusing on the world-building mechanics, to create the framework for the actual gameplay development later on?

As for the name itself, Latin for "The Last Resort of Kings", it seems the phrase, while originally referred to war declarations, has gained a strong connotation towards cannons and artillery over the centuries. Louis XIV of France had it cast on the cannons of his armies, and it's the motto of at least a couple of artillery units. There's also a somewhat related quote from Frederick the Great, "Do not forget your great guns, which are the most respectable arguments of the rights of kings." :P

So that begs a bonus question: will there be cannons? :D

No combat yet alas (though that is a core goal of the full-time year); I'm working on all the wordbuilding aspects first, and estimate at the most one year remaining on that (3 years on it to date). I want to add gameplay stuff, but I can't add weapons until there are markets, can't add markets until there are NPCs to man them, can't add NPCs until there are civilizations for them to belong to and cities for them to live in... and thus we come back to building the world first :). I'm really coming to the end of this phase though - I've enjoyed it a lot, and I'm hugely excited about the full-time year to finish off the worldbuilding, but I'm very much anticipating starting to work on gameplay. Combat will sort of be the last worldbuilding part and also the first gameplay part at the same time, so that should be very interesting. I have in mind something very akin to Dark Souls combat, and something very different from most ASCII-ish roguelikes.

Ha, I didn't know the Frederick quote! I like it. There will some early gunpowder weapons; I am still deciding whether things like sieges and siege weapons can play a meaningful role in the games story or not. There's a good chance it will, but not for quite some time...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2119 on: July 20, 2014, 06:34:36 am »

I've got a little bit of URR work done this week; finished all the textures for hunter-gatherer buildings (bone, wattle and daub, stone, mud bricks, and a dozen others), done some preparatory work on the other forms of fortresses, and fixed some of the road-generation bugs on the world map, but progress will still be slow for the next two months. Trying to make sure to still get a little bit of coding in here and there, though.

So, as mentioned last time, here's the first of the game design/criticism blog entries for the next couple of months, starting with some detailed thoughts on the strengths (and, especially, weaknesses) of Dark Souls 2: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2014/07/20/dark-souls-2-design-ravings/

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2120 on: July 23, 2014, 06:14:47 am »

Things are still ticking over, albeit slowly; thesis is going well though, which means I should be able to start the full-time URR year when I move in September, but started seriously working on the military city districts and the next fortress archetype (for the wise civilization that prefers their forts to be of a pentagonal nature). This downtime really sucks, but the full-timing will, I think, rather more than make up for it :)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:48 pm »

Things are still ticking over, albeit slowly; thesis is going well though, which means I should be able to start the full-time URR year when I move in September, but started seriously working on the military city districts and the next fortress archetype (for the wise civilization that prefers their forts to be of a pentagonal nature). This downtime really sucks, but the full-timing will, I think, rather more than make up for it :)
Awesome, you post here!

Anyway just wanted to know if you plan to make URR (easily) moddable? Sorry if it's been asked already, but 146 pages is a lot of text. I'd love to be able to tinker around with the game's balance and add content to it post-release.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2122 on: July 25, 2014, 02:44:09 am »

Awesome, you post here!

Anyway just wanted to know if you plan to make URR (easily) moddable? Sorry if it's been asked already, but 146 pages is a lot of text. I'd love to be able to tinker around with the game's balance and add content to it post-release.

I do indeed! I'm afraid not - there's no plans to make URR moddable at this time. I'm always very open to ideas, and once we get to gameplay development I'll be very interested in any and all balance/design feedback, but modding isn't on the cards, alas.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 27, 2014, 07:55:00 pm »

Awesome, you post here!

I do indeed! I'm afraid not - there's no plans to make URR moddable at this time. I'm always very open to ideas, and once we get to gameplay development I'll be very interested in any and all balance/design feedback, but modding isn't on the cards, alas.
Yeah I suspected as much, thanks anyway. I'll be waiting anxiously for the next release.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 28, 2014, 11:16:08 pm »

How have I never seen this thread before? This looks amazing.

Is there a wiki or an overview of what you hope to make the game look like when it's "done" (or as done as such things ever are)?
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2125 on: July 29, 2014, 01:49:23 pm »

Yeah I suspected as much, thanks anyway. I'll be waiting anxiously for the next release.

No worries :). 0.6 is the biggest update ever - you'll be able to walk around cities, towns, farms, graveyards, settlements, fortresses, slums, and other such goodness.

How have I never seen this thread before? This looks amazing.

Is there a wiki or an overview of what you hope to make the game look like when it's "done" (or as done as such things ever are)?

Thanks! The best thing I can recommend would be this blog post:

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2014/02/15/plot-story-and-the-game-itself/

and the "Info page":

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/info/

where I talk a bit about some of the long-term goals. Don't know if you've seen this in the thread/on my site, but in a few months I'm going to be taking a year to work on the game full-time. By the completion of that year I am to have the "worldbuilding" block of the game finished, and that'll be ~33% of the game complete, and will have a ton to do and explore. Basically, think of it as a cross between Dark Souls and Dwarf Fortress. That's always the best way to describe it, I think. I do actually have stored on my laptop a very specific and very detailed release plan from here until release, but I only list a few versions ahead on the site - there's not much point in saying "Three years from now I'll be working on x!" at this point :)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 31, 2014, 12:43:59 am »

PTW. I may try it if I can actually figure out how Wineskin works.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2127 on: July 31, 2014, 03:43:50 pm »

I'm glad to say in my upcoming full-time-development-year, a Linux native version is one goal. Hopefully from 0.7 onwards (next version is 0.6). But if you get it working, do let me know! :)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 31, 2014, 06:17:12 pm »

I'm glad to say in my upcoming full-time-development-year, a Linux native version is one goal. Hopefully from 0.7 onwards (next version is 0.6). But if you get it working, do let me know! :)
Yeah, I'll test it when I get computer access.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2129 on: August 02, 2014, 08:07:22 am »

This is the first development update in a couple of weeks. I’m still primarily working on my doctoral thesis in the hopes of finishing before the end of September, at which point I’ll be starting the full-time development year. Nevertheless, I’ve managed to snatch a little bit of time here and there to code and keep things ticking over.

Fortresses

I’ve done a few more fortress archetypes. As mentioned before, there are twelve “shapes” fortresses can generate in total; each civilization chooses one, and there can never be more than five nomadic civilizations, so it’ll be a long while until you see each archetype (not to mention, obviously, that each instance of each archetype will generate differently). I’ve thrown together the “Pentagon” and the “Double Fort” algorithms, and here are a bunch of screenshots. Fortresses are really interesting to walk around – they definitely evoke a very different feel to towns or cities or settlements. One thing I’ve found to be a very good idea is to really emphasize difference in procedural generation – sure, in the real world, a “castle” and a “fortress” may be very similar, but by placing one at the core of cities and giving the other to nomads, I’ve emphasized the differences in each one to create two totally different kinds of structure. Even though they lack NPCs yet, walking around the four different types of population centre (cities, towns, settlements, fortresses) all feel totally, totally different (which was exactly the goal) and I can’t wait to see what everyone else thinks once this release is out. Some fortresses are more or less militarized than others; some have larger or small markets, or housing, or defenses; some are more open, some are more closed and more challenging to navigate. There’s a great amount of variety, and they all also handle rivers in different ways, leading to some really interesting maps (which have been challenging to make ensure walkable generation on)…

Hunter-Gatherer Buildings

I’ve thrown together the generators for the textures of all the different building materiasl hunter-gatherer civilizations might use. Whereas feudal civilizations use variations of bricks and nomadic civilizations sometimes uses bricks, or stone, or drystone walls, hunter-gatherers are forced to be a little more resourceful. There are currently sixteen different materials, each civilization will choose a different one (a couple are tied to particular climates) and they won’t repeat, so you’ll have a wide variation every game. Here’s an example of the outcomes of each of the generators for the different materials. Going left-to-right and top-to-bottom, these are “logs”, “leaves”, “wood”, “stone”, “bones”, “mud bricks”, “snow bricks”, “interwoven sticks”, “mud”, “drystone”, “thatch”, “wattle and daub”, “rope”, “bamboo”, “leather”, “fur”:

The materials have no particular gameplay difference, but they do lend a nice variety to the hunter-gatherers, especially as the way they are displayed in-game varies according to the colour of each texture. HG civilizations are now looking rather more complete than they were before, and the other reason for this is the introduction of standing stones.

Standing Stones

Different religions worship in different ways; some have big idols, some might have small totems in the houses of worshipers, and so forth. Some hunter-gatherer civilizations have standing stones in the middle of their settlements as the focal points for worship. Each of these is a different shape, contains a symbol of the appropriate religion, and… some other text, in an ancient language. In future versions this text will be one of many clues around the world to help you find your way through the world’s mysteries, and will be one of several reasons you might consider visiting a hunter-gatherer settlement you pass on your way to parts unknown.

NEXT UP:

The next three entries will probably be the other games criticism entries I discussed before, then we’ll have a roundup of some more code at the end of August/start of September. By then I should have more of the fortress archetypes done (maybe all of them?) and maybe some more city districts too – military districts might be next on my list, though I think I also need to make some changes to market districts; playtesting them by myself suggests that they might need to be a little more contained and a little less open to make them more enjoyable and more understandable to navigate. The plan thus remains: I’m working hard to finish my thesis before I move house in late September, and then to start the full-time year of development in October, with the intention of releasing 0.6 – admittedly the biggest URR update ever, since it is generating every town, city, fortress and settlement – within November.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 221