Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596285 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.7 released!
« Reply #2505 on: April 24, 2015, 01:36:24 pm »

Released URR 0.7.0b! A few bug fixes, typos, a couple of crash fixes; I think that should be everything. Onto 0.8! http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/

mete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: April 24, 2015, 05:36:06 pm »

Good job with your game! Looks like your game can also works has a very detailed engine for other games. If there is a possibility to mod the game anyway.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2507 on: April 25, 2015, 05:38:11 am »

Good job with your game! Looks like your game can also works has a very detailed engine for other games. If there is a possibility to mod the game anyway.

Thanks! Very glad you like where it's going. It could potentially be so re: an engine for other games, but I'm afraid I don't have any plans to open the game up to modding :(.

And now this week's update, cross-posted from my blog:

- I’ve just released version 0.7.0b: it contains several crash fixes, fixes for some smaller bugs, and then a bunch of truly minor stuff for typos, rare edge cases in a few generation algorithms, etc. If you’re exploring 0.7.0, I’d upgrade to the new version: rest assured, everything should be totally save-compatible since I don’t think a single new variable anywhere has been added – things have just been fixed, and as far as I know, it should be crash-stable now, but let me know if you upgrade to the new version and something goes wrong.

- This week I found myself giving two presentations, one at the AISB AI & Games Conference down in Kent, and then an invited guest lecture at the Psychology Department of the University of Bedfordshire kindly set up by an old friend; the slides for both, and a Youtube video of the latter, should be online soon! Also heading to this conference for another games talk this week, though I don’t know if this one will be recorded, but I’ll naturally add the slides for this one to the other bunch too once I’ve given the talk. Hoping to get some more “public” talks going this year (there could be a really exciting one in the works!) and I’ll post here whenever there’s another opportunity to meet some of you folks in person.

- Another reminder: I’m hosting IRDC UK 2015! We’ve got some big names talking: DarkGod (creator of TOME), the Curious Expedition guys, Darren Grey (of Roguelike Radio), me (if I may place myself in that illustrious company), Ido Yehieli (Cardinal Quest), Tommy Thompson (AI and PCG researcher) and many others, with also the potential for David Ploog (DCSS), Thomas Biskup (ADOM) and Kornel Kisielewicz (DoomRL)! You should click here to find out more, and come along!

- Work has begun on 0.8. I’ve actually been secretly working on the NPC face generation algorithm for some time and it is almost completed – I suspect I will unveil it either next week, or the week after, depending on how things go. It’s looking pretty glorious. I’m currently in the early stages of planning everything else and what order I should do everything; I think it’s actually pretty likely I’ll work on improving the rendering system for walking around outside first, and thereby extend the player’s line of sight, since a few people have rightly commented on that, and it really needs an upgrade now that I actually know how to code. Either way: I’m working on faces and improving the vision algorithm, and then I’ll probably be working on crowd/population mechanics, before storing specific NPCs. 0.8 is such a huge upgrade it’s hard to know where to begin!

- And that, I’m afraid, is all. See you next week for either some general games commentary or the first proper 0.8 update!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: April 25, 2015, 02:43:27 pm »

I’ve actually been secretly working on the NPC face generation algorithm

Mother of fucking god
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2509 on: April 25, 2015, 08:40:42 pm »

Mother of fucking god

Aw yis 8). It's pretty frickin' sweet.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: April 26, 2015, 04:31:02 am »

Portrait generation is something I'm planning for my game, and I even have the base pics languishing on my HDD. But whatever I can cook up using the moddable tiles code will be far inferior to your work!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: April 26, 2015, 04:47:47 am »

Wow, an adventurey game which finally gives NPCs their own faces, unlike DF's @/e/h/g ? I like it.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2514 on: April 27, 2015, 06:26:57 am »

Portrait generation is something I'm planning for my game, and I even have the base pics languishing on my HDD. But whatever I can cook up using the moddable tiles code will be far inferior to your work!

Ah, cool (but thanks!). It's obviously still totally ANSI/ASCII, and there's probably around a hundred million possible variations. Same system of many layers and shapes as much of the other procedural graphic stuff.

Wow, an adventurey game which finally gives NPCs their own faces, unlike DF's @/e/h/g ? I like it.

OH YES!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: April 28, 2015, 08:09:20 am »

FACE GENERATION?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2516 on: April 28, 2015, 09:33:38 am »

Mother of fucking god

Plus one.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: April 28, 2015, 02:40:48 pm »

Well. World-gen is completed and i can say YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Now gamelay! Dies the next release will feature items? (Of course they will) and if yes then what kind of items will be?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2518 on: April 29, 2015, 05:15:57 pm »

Well. World-gen is completed and i can say YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Now gamelay! Dies the next release will feature items? (Of course they will) and if yes then what kind of items will be?

Oh yes! It does indeed. I'm not quite sure at this point: it'll depend on development speed, what mechanics around items emerge, etc etc, but I'm currently thinking of primary all types of clothing, and also almost certainly coinage (which I am *really* looking forward to generating the art for).

There are also currently two other concerns. Firstly, I obviously want to present URR at the IRDC UK at the end of June, so I need to make an "interim" version which is not the full 0.7, but which is stable, and playable by those who turn up, so that will slightly influence my development plans. Similarly, I'm one of the speakers at GDC Europe this year (!!!!) and when that happens (since I am talking about URR and procedural generation), I want to make sure I have lots of cool stuff to show on the slides. These are obviously small factors, but might slightly influence how 0.7 develops...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:49:13 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2519 on: May 02, 2015, 05:44:27 am »

Procedural ANSI face generation is here!

Ok, so a little about the system. I basically wanted a system which adhered to four (five) major objectives. Firstly, it should be massively varied, and even if you spend a decent length of time just looking at the ordinary people in the street, it should take some time and under you see any two people who are identical. Secondly, it should be demographic – which is to say, each nation can have a set of preferred hairstyles, likely skintones, other signifiers (like turbans, tattoos, jewelry, etc), and these should be distinct in each nation. Thirdly, and following on from the second point above, there should be enough of these that (much like everything else in URR) you should be able to gain visual information: when you meet someone you’ve never met before, you should be able to make a reasonable guess about their nation of birth. Fourthly, any combination should be possible, as a means of undermining the idea that only “primitive” peoples will be found with certain cultural signifiers – in one game perhaps the people in the most technologically and militarily powerful empire all have extensive facial tattoos, for examples. Fifthly (I suppose), the objective was to make them look visually and aesthetically interesting, and striking, and distinct: as with everything else in URR, if I wasn’t able to make face generation look enough to meet my standards, I’d have just cut it.

I’m not honestly sure how many variations there are (since some variants cancel out other variants in the generation process, making the simple solution of just multiplying everything together inaccurate). Roughly speaking there are nine skin tones, thirty hairstyles for women, thirty for men, a dozen different forehead/chin/nose shapes each, a dozen hair colours (which are genetically placed around the world and are toned appropriately to reduce contrast with skin tone), four eye colours (likewise, genetically varied around the world), several dozens beards (for the gents), and then a massive range of other visual identifers. There are five below: paint/dye markings, turbans, brands (sometimes consensual/cultural, sometimes as identifiers of slavery), facial tattooing, collars (always denotes slaves), scarification, and a bunch I haven’t shown here. There are also some rare additions like scars, eye patches (like the lady at the top of this entry), and some other neat and extremely rare properties as well. These will always tie to that NPC’s history, so someone with an eyepatch will have a distinct event in their past where it was lost – you can sometimes, therefore, get a bit of “personal” data from someone’s face, as well as cultural/national/etc.

When you ‘l’ook at an NPC, you’ll get a new range of screens to cycle through in this coming release. If you’re currently in combat, it’ll automatically go to the screen showing their health; if you’re not (which will obviously be the case in this release) it will show you their face, and a little bit of data. There will then a list where you can scroll through everything they are wearing and bring up the appropriate attendant images for all of those (clothing, shoes, any holstered weapons, jewelry, etc). I’m going to remove anything you could not “physically” determine, until you know for sure: which is to say, an NPC’s lookup will never state their affiliations, unless you have explicitly talked to them and found out (though they might have lied…) or someone else has told you. Here’s a spectrum of the skin tones in the game, with a bunch of hairstyles and beard styles (where appropriate). Alpha Centauri players might also note the worrying but entirely unlpanned similarity of one of these nine women to a certain Sister Miriam Godwinson…

And that glorious image pretty much concludes this entry. I’m currently working on a bunch of optimizations for the game – primarily in terms of how data is saved, and the efficiency of the rendering and line-of-sight algorithm, since this needs some serious improvement so that you can see further than a couple dozens tiles in front of you. Once that’s done (which hopefully won’t take too long) I’ll probably get working on clothing generation, and then doing some major work on families, family trees, and how NPCs should be stored for remaining still and/or moving around the map, as an important precursor to getting them actually spawning. See you all next week!
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 221