Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598289 times)

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.7 released!
« Reply #2580 on: June 12, 2015, 01:28:08 pm »

Fine clothing, true masterwork you have done here. Ill think Ill take this clasped clothing
If there would be much more clasps that form something like this:
                [][][][][]
[][][]    [][][][][][][][]    [][][]
 [][]    [][][][][][][][][]    [][]
         [][][][][][][][][][]
          ==========
         [][][][][][][][][][]
      [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[] - clasp of metal
=== - belt
It would look like this (or at least similar) to a splintmail!
Can't wait to play that update.
Question: Does clasped (and pretty much any) clothing code-wisely gives very basic protection?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2581 on: June 13, 2015, 05:03:46 am »

CLASPCEPTIONNNNNNNN

(I like that image a lot)

No, all clothing gives the same amount of protection, i.e. basically zero. They're just visual differences, and therefore means for the player to note the potential wealth and cultural allegiance of an NPC at a glance.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2582 on: June 14, 2015, 06:17:48 am »

This week I’ve finished off procedural clothing generation for the richest individuals in feudal nations. The game can now create upper-body garments, lower-body garments, and boots, for each civilization. These different garments across a given civilization maintain a consistency of colours, a general consistency of size/aesthetic, and a consistency of whether the patterns etched into the clothing are circles, octagons, squares etc, based on the visual preference of the nation in question. Thus far these are only the “upper-class” clothing variations, but I think one can reasonably extrapolate how the others will look (which will come in a few weeks, I expect). Here’s a summary of the three layers of clothing currently implemented – I’m also going to add gloves and cloaks this release, but haven’t got around to them yet (since they’re hardly a priority compared to implementing crowd mechanics before the UK IRDC in a fortnight’s time!), but they’ll probably reflect the coats of arms of important houses if upper-class cloaks, and then just have some appropriate patterns on for middle-class, and nothing special for lower-class. Anyway, onto the clothing of our procedurally-generated aristocrats:

Upper-Body Garments

There are currently seven “archetypes” for upper-body clothing, an example from each being shown below. I’m working on an eighth archetype but it is proving extremely challenging to make it look anything other than awful, so that one might not see the light of day. Regardless, each of these has three sub-archetypes, making for twenty-one high-level “clothing styles” at present, each of which then undergoes extensive randomness within that clothing style, meaning that even if the maximum number of feudal nations are present, there will still be several “unused” high-level clothing styles left over – so that’ll do for now.

Lower-Body Garments

It is very challenging to make “trousers” which look even vaguely as interesting as upper-body garments (or boots or gloves, for that matter!), but I’ve done my best. The “Japanese” and what I have taken to calling “Hebrewlonian” archetypes in the above picture (middle top, and third bottom) will count as both upper- and lower-body garments, whilst the lower-body garments shown here will be distributed to the rest of  the clothing styles. Although in many nations there will be little sexual dimorphism (so to speak) between clothing styles for men and women, this will not be the case in some cultures, and a “dress” clothing archetype has yet to be worked on (I’ll get to it in the next few weeks). So some nations have the J/H archetypes above for both sexes; some nations will have the other above clothing for both sexes; some will have different clothing for the two sexes (and this will all, obviously, be chosen procedurally). So, some trousers/skirts etc (skirts are especially hard to make interesting, but I’ve done my best):

Boots

Now onto the “paired” items of clothing – boots (and gloves). I decided for the time being to forego “shoes” and go with something of a Game of Thrones/TV-adaptation-of-Wolf-Hall logic, i.e. that even those at the very top of society have to give something towards practicality and pragmatism, and basically wear extremely nice boots, rather than wearing beautiful footwear which never comes anywhere near a bit of mud. Boots, like gloves, have a distinct item for each in a pair, so that we can handle things like losing limbs, damaged limbs, etc, later in the game. Gloves and boots use the same colour system – they take the established colours from the clothing above, and then blend it 70% into a generic “leather” colour, to give the impression of dyed leather. Boots are therefore deliberately a tad less “striking” in colour than other items, but still maintain a strong semblance of the same colour schemes. Remember, as always, that you’ll never see these next to each other in game!

Gloves

Gloves are coming soon… but possibly not before the end of June, since now that I have the three most essential items of clothing in place, I’m working solely on NPC mechanics in preparation for showing off an interim “0.8”-ish building at the UK IRDC at the end of the month.

Complete Generated Clothing Sets:

Here are some complete (aside from gloves) “sets” of clothing – note, of course, that the zoom level does vary across each item of clothing so that the player can see maximum detail, and you’ll obviously never see them all in-game “lined up” like this, but I think it’s quite nice to look at some of the aesthetic consistencies across different items of clothing belonging to the aristocratic echelons of a given civilization:

(Note that Set 4 contains no lower-body garment since the robe covers both the upper- and lower-body slots, and also in some of these examples, the underlying pattern – square, diamond, etc – varies, which it won’t in the actual game.)

I will be working on middle-class and lower-class/slum clothing soon, but that’s taking a back-seat now to work on some mechanics for the version I want to be able to show off at the UK IRDC. There will also, of course, be distinct clothing styles for nomadic civilizations and tribal civilizations, but those are going to come along later, although I do have some ideas for what types of generators I’m going to build for both of those.

Future Mechanics

Clothing generation is increasingly pointing towards an obvious but potentially very interesting and unusual mechanic: the ability to “fake” being a member of a given culture. Perhaps you can don clothes of other cultures (and perhaps lighten/darken your skin, as many real-world explorers and “adventurers” in the distant past did for exactly this reason?) and attempt to “pass yourself off” as a native in a distant land… which then yields potential gameplay around attempting to maintain the deception, say appropriate things in conversation, and give nothing away, whilst perhaps other NPCs are capable of noticing slightly unusual things about your character which suggest to them that all is not as it seems? I think this could be some really interesting territory to explore in the future…

What next?

Well, we now have heads, upper-body and lower-body clothing, and boots, so I’d say we’re about to ready to actually create URR’s NPCs. This week I’m going to be working on optimizing the field-of-view algorithm which needs some serious improvement for the next release, creating the new “character lookup” window which has room to include a face and to scroll through their clothing (and in 0.9 their armour and weaponry, if any), and continuing to work on crowd mechanics, spawning/de-spawning NPCs, etc. See you next time for an update on hopefully all of these things!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:21:35 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: June 14, 2015, 06:46:15 am »

As such, I am putting a few small limitations on this variation to guarantee “plausibility” (in this one regard) according to the real world, which is to say “full dresses” will never be generated as a male clothing style.
Aww, shucks. I was hoping for dresses for men. :-[ My big brother wears dresses and he really manages to look very manly with them.

Boots
Will there be religious orders who have to go bare feet? I think I remember there where some Christian monk… order group thingies, I don't know what they're called in English… that always went barefooted. Maybe make this a possible religious restriction? It could have practical consequences, with all the hazards boots are supposed to protect you from.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2584 on: June 14, 2015, 07:24:15 am »

As such, I am putting a few small limitations on this variation to guarantee “plausibility” (in this one regard) according to the real world, which is to say “full dresses” will never be generated as a male clothing style.
Aww, shucks. I was hoping for dresses for men. :-[ My big brother wears dresses and he really manages to look very manly with them.

Boots
Will there be religious orders who have to go bare feet? I think I remember there where some Christian monk… order group thingies, I don't know what they're called in English… that always went barefooted. Maybe make this a possible religious restriction? It could have practical consequences, with all the hazards boots are supposed to protect you from.

That's really interesting! Actually, in light of a lot of feedback (your's included), I've decided to change that - maybe it was a bit of a cop-out (for anyone wondering, my logic was entirely in the interests of preventing some players from being "amused" by having male NPCs wearing "dresses", i.e. the problematic history of transvestism being seen as inherently "comic", and a concern over unintentional humour, not one over any kind of desire to replicate the real world, since clearly playing out alternate histories is a big part of URR's intentions), and if someone chuckles... then they're probably not the kind of player I'm after! I've since updated the entry and the game's code; dresses for everyone! (Or whichever nations choose them).

Yes, definitely, and I like the idea a lot. There will definitely be some clothing things for certain religious orders, though I need to figure out how that is going to integrate with the rest of the clothing generation...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:48:29 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: June 14, 2015, 08:07:58 am »

That's cool! I'm happy dresses for men are back in again.
Oops, I think I mixed up dresses and skirts here. My big brother is wearing skirts, not dresses, a bit like this:

Source
If you want, I might be able to get you a photo of him wearing a dress, if that is of interest in any way. I don't know. It's a bit different from these people.

Still, dresses for men, yay! :D
Taste my Paci-Fist

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: June 14, 2015, 08:56:28 am »

Historically, a lot of clothing (even togas for example) are a lot more dress like than today.

These look fantastic and the variations are extremely interesting - I'm guessing peasants/non-aristocracy will wear a lot plainer/standard items, with perhaps a basic pattern or small identifier of caste/class?

Lastly, I wondered how easy it would be to add on some small defects/damages? I could imagine you might be able to quickly layer on some mud/sand on boots or some minor tears/scuffs in fabric, which would differentiate things more and give a more 'lived in' feel - especially for those from not in aristocratic classes.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: June 14, 2015, 10:31:37 am »

Boots

That's really interesting! Actually, in light of a lot of feedback (your's included), I've decided to change that - maybe it was a bit of a cop-out (for anyone wondering, my logic was entirely in the interests of preventing some players from being "amused" by having male NPCs wearing "dresses", i.e. the problematic history of transvestism being seen as inherently "comic", and a concern over unintentional humour, not one over any kind of desire to replicate the real world, since clearly playing out alternate histories is a big part of URR's intentions), and if someone chuckles... then they're probably not the kind of player I'm after! I've since updated the entry and the game's code; dresses for everyone! (Or whichever nations choose them).

Yes, definitely, and I like the idea a lot. There will definitely be some clothing things for certain religious orders, though I need to figure out how that is going to integrate with the rest of the clothing generation...

Meh the fact we associate dresses with females is a somewhat wide spread idea, but it is still a punctual idea that doesn't hold in all societies of the day and of the past...
I don't think you should censor URR to fits todays "western" ideas, except maybe for child trafficking because that would certainly make a lot of publicity. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: June 14, 2015, 05:39:00 pm »

Seems you were able to supply us with MOAR clothing of noble class. More pieces of fine masterwork.
QUESTION: Since these clothes are really beautifull does the player starts with a full set of this clothing? Or he just starts with peasant articles of clothing?  or a bit of that and that?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: June 14, 2015, 08:28:50 pm »

Rather impressive clothing pieces , are you planning to make headgear too (crown, hat, hood, rags, bonnet etc...) ?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2590 on: June 15, 2015, 06:58:33 am »

That's cool! I'm happy dresses for men are back in again.
Oops, I think I mixed up dresses and skirts here.
[...]
Still, dresses for men, yay! :D

Oh, right! Yeah, those were always in (but

Historically, a lot of clothing (even togas for example) are a lot more dress like than today.

These look fantastic and the variations are extremely interesting - I'm guessing peasants/non-aristocracy will wear a lot plainer/standard items, with perhaps a basic pattern or small identifier of caste/class?

Lastly, I wondered how easy it would be to add on some small defects/damages? I could imagine you might be able to quickly layer on some mud/sand on boots or some minor tears/scuffs in fabric, which would differentiate things more and give a more 'lived in' feel - especially for those from not in aristocratic classes.

Very true! Yes indeed, plainer items, fewer identifiers of nationality, but still come broader aesthetic/spatial outlines, I hope. Still working on how exactly that'll look! For the UK IRDC everybody is basically going to be wearing super-swanky clothing, but that's just how it has worked out. Not for the actual 0.8 release though, of course. Defects/damage is a tricky one, and I'm trying to think about a nice "generic" system which can apply damage, but it's a bit of a nightmare...

Meh the fact we associate dresses with females is a somewhat wide spread idea, but it is still a punctual idea that doesn't hold in all societies of the day and of the past...
I don't think you should censor URR to fits todays "western" ideas, except maybe for child trafficking because that would certainly make a lot of publicity. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

I'm not! As I outlined in the entry, it was *not* in any way an "ideological" decision, purely a "pragmatic" one out of a fear of unintentional humour; but I now realize that was a rather cowardly cop-out, so I've acknowledged the mistake, and changed things appropriately :).

Seems you were able to supply us with MOAR clothing of noble class. More pieces of fine masterwork.
QUESTION: Since these clothes are really beautifull does the player starts with a full set of this clothing? Or he just starts with peasant articles of clothing?  or a bit of that and that?

Thanks! Yes, the player will start with a full set of upper-class clothing for their nation of choice.

Rather impressive clothing pieces , are you planning to make headgear too (crown, hat, hood, rags, bonnet etc...) ?

Cheers! Yes indeed, headgear is coming; certainly crowns, of course, but hats... I'm not sure about those. I did a few experiments and they all looked abysmal, so I'll have to experiment/investigate further.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2591 on: June 21, 2015, 05:33:28 am »

Other stuff to read

Before we start this week’s entry, I have some other stuff you might all like to read! This week I had a piece published at First Person Scholar about the intriguing player-AI dialogue which develops in the danmaku game “Warning Forever” (http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/warning-forever/), and a piece in Memory Insufficient about the alternate history aesthetics of the Red Alert series (http://meminsf.silverstringmedia.com/art/alternate-history-aesthetics-in-red-alert/). If you’re interested, do give them a read and support those other two sites!

Now, on to this week’s many attractions:

Clothes as Items, and Inventory Changes

Clothes have now been transported out of the file I use for working on the game’s graphics and added into the game itself, and turned into items (with a horrifyingly large number of variables – it took me much longer to integrate them than I expected). When you look at an item of clothing, it tells you nothing except the quality of the tailoring – “ornate”, “well-made” or “poorly made” – and what type of thing it is – “shirt”, “pair of trousers”, etc, and tells you nothing about the nation it is from, as that’s part of the learning/discovery process. Along side this implementation, the inventory system has been changed. Previously there were different keys for each action, so one would press ‘d’ to ‘drop’, ‘D’ to ‘drop several’, ‘t’ to throw’, and so forth; they’d then bring up your inventory, you’d select the item you wanted to perform the action with, and go ahead and do it. However, this meant you only saw the picture of the item when you pressed ‘i’ to simply look at your inventory, and that meant the images were (to an extent) being wasted. I’ve now changed it so that there are only two inventory functions: ‘i’ brings up your inventory, and ‘D’ allows you to drop many items at once (without looking at them). When you now press ‘i’, therefore, and choose an item, a line of text at the bottom of that item lists everything you can do with that item, so you always get to see the graphics, and the range of possibilities for each item is made a lot clearer (so things you can wear, or things you can use in some way, or eat, or whatever). I think this is a lot better, makes more use of the graphics, and tidies up the UI a little (given how many roguelikes use every damned letter on the keyboard). An example of a piece of clothing currently un-worn, and one being worn:

Character look-up

The look-up window for any character (player or NPC) has now been significantly changed and upgraded, and faces have also been moved out of the graphical-testing file and fully integrated into the game’s code. The first page currently shows the face of the NPC you’re looking at (or your own), and lists everything that person is currently wearing (which is visible; rings are “invisible” if they have gauntlets/gloves). The second page will soon show health, but I’m still working (yet again!) on thinking through how health is going to work, so we’ll have to see, and for now it has been removed (and will probably stay removed for 0.8 unless I finally figure out how health will work, even though I know how combat is going to work). So here’s a shot of me (without a first name, so the name up there is my family name), and this time I happened to be in the “scarification” civ. You’ll also notice I’ve made all eyes into a light grey instead of white! The reduced contrast is far less jarring.

Browsing clothes

The coolest thing about the new look-up? You can now hit Enter and browse through all the things a character is wearing, using the arrow keys. As you move around the “grid” of things the character has on them, each image then appears on the right-hand side (the first time the right side of the screen has ever been specially used!). For now, therefore, you can look over the upper- and lower-body garments, and boots, but I’ll be working on all non-armour garments in this release, meaning that we’ll be adding gloves, and probably cloaks too, but armour will come next time, and necklaces and rings will come… whenever. Either way, here are some nice illustrative screenshots of this! (With some placeholder first names and surnames…)

NPCs are now spawning

This speaks for itself, really, given the above screenshot. They don’t move, think, react, converse or do anything yet, but they are there, and the game can handle them and draw them correctly, and the player can ‘l’ook at them and browse what they’re wearing. My objective for this coming week before the IRDC is to really crunch and try to get crowd mechanics working to the point that NPCs will spawn and despawn out of the player’s line of sight. As for line of sight and field of view, there’s something cool on that point later down this entry…

Genetics, Culture, etc

I’m pleased to say (and one might extrapolate this from the integration of the facial images) that we’ve now got a model for genetics and cultures spreading around the globe. Genetically the game now chooses large chunks of land for eye and hair colours (they bleed out around the edge, but these screenshots show only the dominant colour in each region; equally, although these are very geometric and unsmooth, that doesn’t ultimately matter, since populations of NPCs in-game will always blend and travel). The first picture shows eye colour variation, the second hair colour, in a generated world:

As for how these work for individual NPCs, basically, each nation has a “core” set of values for their skin tones, eye colour, etc, and that’s based on what values are present in their capital city specifically. Equally, they can also spawn NPCs who might have been born hundreds of miles from the capital, but are still within the same nation. The further you get from a nation’s capital, therefore, the more and more people you’ll see who are born according to the demographics of that particular area, and the closer you get to the capital, the more you’ll see people who look like the people of that capital city. Cultural norms will be maintained however far you go – so people in the capital and a distant colony have the same hairstyles – but visual/genetic markers (eyes, skin, hair colour, etc) will vary as you move around. So if you have a capital city on the far, far east, and a colony of that nation on the far west, and in that colony you might expect 25% to “look like” they came from the capital in terms of eyes/skin/hair colour, most to look “native” to that colony in eyes/skin/hair etc, but they will be visually unified according to their hair styles, other cultural markers, beard styles, clothing, etc etc. So we basically have two layers – the “genetic” and the “cultural” – and these blend and intertwine as you move around the world. Also, different types of civilization have different levels of cultural variety – the open and well-traveled nomads have the most variation within a nation, the small tribal societies have the least, and the feudal civilizations are somewhere in the middle.

Field of View Optimization (at last!)

People have been asking for this for years, so I have finally put some time into optimizing the field of view algorithm, and now you can see basically everything on-screen at one time. Buildings will still have a reduced field of view, and it’ll reduce at night, too, but here’s a screenshot and a gif of wandering outside in the daytime:

Next Week

Well, the IRDC is in a week’s time, and I’m crunching like mad to get some kind of NPC pathfinding/crowd mechanic simulation going there. It’s going reasonably well, and I think I’ll have something good to show off, but I’ve been running into some fundamental design questions – can NPCs push past each other, for instance, if one occupies a tile the other wants to get past – which have surprisingly far-reaching algorithmic implications for how pathfinding and gameplay will actually play out in the longer run.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:30:47 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2592 on: June 27, 2015, 03:27:09 am »

Streaming this year's UK International Roguelike Development Conference from 10am (UK time) onwards! http://www.twitch.tv/roguelike_con

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: June 27, 2015, 07:17:41 am »

This looks really good !

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2594 on: June 27, 2015, 04:24:13 pm »

This looks really good !

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 221