Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Urge to wipe out the human race: Rising  (Read 11166 times)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urge to wipe out the human race: Rising
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:02 pm »

"A bunch of teenagers are kicking one laying on the ground, and the crowd does nothing!"; I bet we've all heard this one a million times.

Yup.  Seen it a few times too.  Most of them have ended with me also getting my ass kicked when I try to help.  Which was worth t.

Then I applaud you, and am glad to hear that this kind of people still exist.

Still, most of the cases end up with bystanders doing nothing and people that weren't there gasp in horror. Most of us (me included) want to think we'd be the hero(ine) who does the right thing, but when we're actually there, we do a quick risk-gain assessment and walk along.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:52 pm »

Have Itnetlolor and Necro910 been watching Torchwood perchance?
Never heard of it  :P

Does it relate to the "Guide to suicide as a god" or the "Murdering antagonists for fun and profit" bit?  :P

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2011, 01:23:58 pm »

Have Itnetlolor and Necro910 been watching Torchwood perchance?
Never heard of it  :P

Does it relate to the "Guide to suicide as a god" or the "Murdering antagonists for fun and profit" bit?  :P

Both, but mostly the former :)
It's a pretty good Doctor Who spinoff series.

We're getting pretty off topic here though, so drop me a PM if you'd like a link to it.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2011, 01:52:28 pm »

To be fair, these people are not "just" risking their own economic welfare were they to intervene; they're also risking that of their spouses, kids and maybe even parents, siblings and in-laws who might depend on them. If your choice was between this kid and your own kids future, would it be as easy a choice?
Love, scriver~

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »

I wish I could honestly say that I would stop and help, but I'm typing this twenty minutes after I watched it, having had time to calm down and detach myself. I can run pretty far in twenty minutes.
I'm agreeing with this.

I sometimes get the sort of thing where I'm walking with a destination in mind, and I see something which makes my head go into overdrive, thinking about what could be happening, what possible choices of actions are, and what would be best to do. By the time I come to a decision, I've either walked quite a distance away already, or someone has already stepped in. Usually, I get a gut feeling in my stomach that says, "Wow, I messed that one up."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2011, 03:46:12 pm »

To be fair, these people are not "just" risking their own economic welfare were they to intervene; they're also risking that of their spouses, kids and maybe even parents, siblings and in-laws who might depend on them. If your choice was between this kid and your own kids future, would it be as easy a choice?

Yup.  Your attitude about being a hero changes drastically when you have other people who depend on you completely.

I think about this stuff a lot, so when I'm ever faced with the choice, I'll be prepared.  I'll do just about anything to help a person unless it involves a good chance of getting killed, crippled, or otherwise made unable to support my family.  My responsibility to them precedes and takes priority over my responsibility to anyone else.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]