Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216598 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2011, 04:41:13 pm »

Lesson Zero is my favourite episode of all the ones released so far.
It's my second least favorite of the entire series :P

Anywho, weird revelation of the day: I've been playing an idiot idealistic hero in a roleplaying game, and today I realized, after buying ~400 milkshakes and putting it on the mafia's tab, that I'm essentially roleplaying Pinkie Pie. Just a Pinkie Pie that shouts "truth and justice" every once in a while and has a laser sword.
What are you smoking playing and where can I get some?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 23, 2011, 04:42:45 pm »

So, when did everypony become a brony/pegasister?
As for me, November 2010.

I can trace the first time I was exposed to anything pony-related back to a post on this very forum. I watched the first episode, and soon after, what was released of season 1. I've been hooked since.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2011, 04:46:52 pm »

We're (loosely) playing BESM with a space opera themed campaign. I'm the idiot who works for the mafia and thinks he's spreading justice as a galactic hero, while everyone else is a sadistic jackass that manipulates him.* His pinkie pie moments include always shouting his intentions to people wanting to kill him (eg: we're here to take back what you stole from the mafia! Could you hand it to us?), playing an "announcer" when he hijacked the intercom on what was supposed to be a stealth mission, and the aforementioned milkshakes.

*Well actually they might be coming around to my side a bit; we ditched the mafia this very session, so maybe we'll do some actual heroic things! Unlikely, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2011, 04:48:17 pm »

Lesson Zero is the greatest episode ever. How could you not like it?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »

For me it was mainly OOC Rarity.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2011, 04:58:15 pm »

How could you not like it?

This was discussed rather thoroughly in the previous thread. Most reasons tended to fall into one of three categories:

1) Creepy off-model Twilight is creepy.
2) They're trying too hard to be memetastic.
3) Characters are behaving out of character.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2011, 05:05:27 pm »

How did you feel about Nightmare Night? Since apparently they decided not to bother including Rarity at all.

This is at the heart of my disappointment with the new direction the show is  taking. It's my favorite characters that are being ignored and abused by out of characterness. If Twilight were my favorite, it probably wouldn't bother me so much, but she's amongst my least favorite. I love Pinkie Pie. Lesson Zero, she had four lines in the entire episode, half of them were out of character, and they gave Spike some of her Pinkie-being-Pinkieness. Nightmare Night she had lines, but her whole personality seemed off.

Rarity's another favorite of mine, and she got even worse treatment. She's the classy, elegant one. In Lesson Zero all she did was freak out over stupid little things. Does it make sense for Rarity, the pony who took completely in stride being kidnapped into slavery by diamond dogs, to cry herself silly over being unable to find a ribbon that was on the floor? Does it makes sense for Rarity, the pony who mocked Twilight for overeating to losing the mice for the Gala, to suddenly have her whole character be defined by overreacting over every little thing she can? Three times in the same episode? And then Nightmare Night rolls around and they completely axe her from the episode.

Meh.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2011, 05:09:21 pm »

Rarity weren't no OOC. She's overly dramatic before she gets on with business. That's how she's always been.

Twilight's not off model.

What do you mean, Memetastic?

Characters aren't out of character.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2011, 05:14:03 pm »

Twilight's not off model.
Yes, yes she was. Not the unintentional version, though.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OffModel
However, Tropes Are Not Bad. Cartoonist John Kricfalusi has repeatedly stated that "staying on model is only for wimps and communists", or more subtly, if you don't break the character's model to emphasize some emotions, it'd be just as good done live action. The result of staying true to off-model animation is fantastic, in Kricfalusi's case. Walt Disney Animation Australia and Star Toons are also examples. However, their use of it is Depending on the Artist taken Up to Eleven, rather than accidental off model.

The crazy faces are anything but normal expressions. In fact it could be argued the wonky eyes seen sometimes (like in pinkie's breakdown) are minor examples of them going off model for added "expressiveness." Go too far and you get good old narm, which is exactly what happened in Lesson Zero. 
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2011, 05:16:48 pm »

I loved Lesson Zero.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2011, 05:18:58 pm »

Though it feels odd being here, allow me to say that while I dislike the show itself, the animation i've seen is not to bad. But thats about it.

Kaiser

• Bay Watcher
  • Post Traumatic Sparkle Disorder
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2011, 05:22:36 pm »

Though it feels odd being here, allow me to say that while I dislike the show itself, the animation i've seen is not to bad. But thats about it.

Thats what everypony said...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:24:10 pm by Kaiser »
My Little Dwarf: Losing is Fun!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2011, 05:24:46 pm »

I'm of the opinion that Rarity was OOC and crazy Twilight was painful to watch.

Didn't we have an argumentdiscuss this very same thing earlier?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2011, 05:26:18 pm »

No, I don't like the show. Animation is alright but like I said thats as far as it goes. Watched 1 episode because I wanted to see what the damn deal was about. Nothing too much imo. But, everyone has diffirent likes hm?

Also, if possible Necro.. TONE DOWN THE DAMN PONY PICTURES ON OTHER THREADS. Now, I shall leave. Beating people with their own limbs awaits!

EDIT: Applejacks is a boss in TF2, and I hate fighting her.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:29:31 pm by Masked_Hunter1825 »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2011, 05:28:17 pm »

The animation in this season in general feels really weird. It's probably because they have a bigger budget, so they do more complex stuff with the faces and so on.
Still looks weird to me. I preferred it when it was simple.
And yes, I'm essentially going "they improved it, now it sucks" here.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 153