Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216594 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #225 on: October 23, 2011, 06:24:50 pm »

In other news, "muncheth" just became the latest (and best) addition to the ye olde butcherede englishe vocabulary.

Entropy is not what it used to be.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2011, 06:29:06 pm »

I think what we're seeing in Lesson Zero is the episode-specific character quirks. Basically, different parts of the ponies' personalities are emphasized in different episodes for writing purposes.
Otherwise known as flanderization, a staple cop-out for mediocre comedy writing. You can't make a joke out of the situation you've put your characters in, so you inflate a trait or create something new entirely for the sake of a joke. This is a big immersion killer. Fine (in fact, probably great) for a series where you don't necessarily expect immersion; this is not one of those series.

Nobody got mad about Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash being prank-obsessed in Griffon the Brush Off, while not playing any pranks for the rest of season 1.
Oh they did, but they directed the anger at the meddling that caused it. The writers couldn't keep the EI tag without marginalizing their pranks.
Twilight is being more OCD than usual in Lesson Zero. Twilight was extra socially awkward in Look Before You Sleep.
Look Before You Sleep is actually an excellent example of good character writing... for Applejack and Rarity. The episode itself was... meh, but that's due to the setting (sleepovers aren't exactly the most interesting plots).
Concerning Twilight, that's a rather minor example and one I'm pretty forgiving to. If Lesson Zero were on a similar level (and honestly it probably would've been without the stupid crazy expressions), there would've been far, far less complaining. Sometimes you have to bend the rules a bit (nothing's perfect afterall); the question is, do you get a net positive result from it?
Pinkie's Pinkie Sense doesn't appear in any episode but Feeling Pinkie Keen but nobody really cares about that.
Probably because most people try to forget that episode :P It has its merits but the shoehorned and badly, badly worded moral killed it good.

I think people are just mad about Pinkie and Rarity because they haven't had an episode to themselves yet this season, so the few lines they have had are given extra scrutiny.
I'm in agreement here somewhat. Everyone has their favorite pony, and when they feel they're ignored...  ::)
My favorite pony has been very in character so far, so I'm not a victim of that (I really loved Applejack's reaction to Luna. Being quick to forget her fear and trust Twilight is so very, very Applejack).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2011, 09:00:03 pm »

Having watched all the episodes so far in the timespan of about three days, seeing the sudden off-model appearances was especially jarring.
No, I did not enjoy Lesson Zero. I had to pause the video quite a few times to cringe and facepalm. The premise of the episode was alright, but I really disliked the execution and animation in it. Although I am a fan of prop gags, Rarity's appearance in the episode wasn't really funny. But Spike breaking the fourth wall and Rainbow Dash's "Deal with it" glasses amused me greatly.
However, I greatly enjoyed Luna Eclipsed. I don't think Pinkie Pie was that out of character and I really liked the portrayal of Luna. I didn't notice too much off-model going on there, so I suppose/hope that was just a one-off joke for Lesson Zero.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2011, 09:12:49 pm »

I got my Luna cutie mark t-shirt in the mail today.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2011, 09:13:12 pm »

The animation in this season in general feels really weird. It's probably because they have a bigger budget, so they do more complex stuff with the faces and so on.
Still looks weird to me. I preferred it when it was simple.
And yes, I'm essentially going "they improved it, now it sucks" here.

I agree as far as Lesson Zero. They screwed up a lot in that. If you haven't yet, watch Nightmare Night, they handled it much better.

Better, yes. But still quite weird in some places. And I was quite dismayed by the appearance of yet another little twerp. Aren't the CMC enough?
Also, Fluttershy on the receiving end of slapstick violence is just cringeworthy IMO. That works well for wacky characters, such as Pinkie, or very active and physical ones, like Applejack or Rainbow. Fluttershy... just no, okay?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2011, 09:20:09 pm »

Have you read the Bay 12 Collab story? :)
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 23, 2011, 09:21:09 pm »

I seriously doubt he'd like it...
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 23, 2011, 09:34:08 pm »

Might want to stop rubbing it in. Everyone knows it exists, no need to keep mentioning it.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 23, 2011, 09:38:14 pm »

I don't do fanfic. The only one I read was Cupcakes, and only because everyone was making such a fuss about it. Oh and that one where the commie ponies overthrew Celestia and then couldn't raise the sun, which was like a page long. That's about my attention span when it comes to text.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 23, 2011, 10:32:18 pm »

So, finally watched Luna Eclipsed a little while ago. For the most part, awesome stuff, though it does feel different. Perhaps it's just the animation style change. The only part that really bothered me was Pinkie's personality. It was just so...weird. It didn't feel very natural, but I'm hoping that that's just because she was in character for the chicken costume or something, as she seemed a bit more Pinkie Pie-ish for the few moments after revealing that she was being scared for fun. I did metaphorically face palm at the inconsiderateness of her actions though.

I'll just have to hold on until an episode that's not Lesson Zero to see if they've got pinkie's personality down better. Oh, besides that I actually thought everypony seemed to be in character for the most part.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 23, 2011, 11:09:27 pm »

So, finally watched Luna Eclipsed a little while ago. For the most part, awesome stuff, though it does feel different. Perhaps it's just the animation style change. The only part that really bothered me was Pinkie's personality. It was just so...weird. It didn't feel very natural, but I'm hoping that that's just because she was in character for the chicken costume or something, as she seemed a bit more Pinkie Pie-ish for the few moments after revealing that she was being scared for fun. I did metaphorically face palm at the inconsiderateness of her actions though.

I'll just have to hold on until an episode that's not Lesson Zero to see if they've got pinkie's personality down better. Oh, besides that I actually thought everypony seemed to be in character for the most part.

She was trying to be in-character for Scootaloo.

I should punch myself for making a joke that cliched.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2011, 11:12:22 pm »

She was trying to be in-character for Scootaloo.

I should punch myself for making a joke that cliched.
SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTALOO ISH DA CHEEKKAN

Eeyup.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2011, 12:16:12 am »

DOHOHOHOHO

Made me laugh. Also, Luna is into shotacon?  :o

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2011, 12:33:32 am »

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 24, 2011, 01:18:12 am »

I think what we're seeing in Lesson Zero is the episode-specific character quirks. Basically, different parts of the ponies' personalities are emphasized in different episodes for writing purposes.
Otherwise known as flanderization, a staple cop-out for mediocre comedy writing. You can't make a joke out of the situation you've put your characters in, so you inflate a trait or create something new entirely for the sake of a joke. This is a big immersion killer. Fine (in fact, probably great) for a series where you don't necessarily expect immersion; this is not one of those series.

I know flanderization, but I was more implying that the characters were going to have different parts of their personality emphasized for single episodes when it fit that episode's plot, especially when the character is minor in that episode. Flanderization is more of a permanent thing. Basically what I'm saying is "Just because Rarity was a little bit of an extra drama queen for one episode, for a single gag, doesn't mean this is a permanent change."

Normally I'm not a "guys guys stop complaining and wait" kind of guy but I think everyone is just paranoid about flanderization and these complaints about Pinkie and Rarity are definitely premature.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 153