Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 215291 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #420 on: October 26, 2011, 11:24:32 am »

Twilight carries spike on her back all the time. It stands to reason they'd be carrying something enough to warrant use of clothing in that area, and it'd evolve similarly to saddles.

I've yet to see foot rests on any of the saddles, and the one twilight uses in winter wrap up looks more like a coat than anything else.
Yes, saddles seem to be more like overcoats/backpacks than our saddles.

Just look at the bleached/preripped jeans: you're taking something that was originally practical and necessary and turning it into an absurd fashion statement.
Must... resist... rant...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 26, 2011, 11:37:00 am »

Just to add to the previous couple pages discussion on lack of violence, even backwater farming villages like Ponyville have unicorns in them. Even if the occassional hungry maniticore were to wander into town, a dozen or two unicorns of totally average magical ability would probably be more than they could deal with.

Also, running theory seems to be that Luna and Celestia are goddesses. If there were any significant, recurring threats to ponies, it's likely that they would step in and deal with them. For example, in the parasprite episode, Celestia canceled her Ponyville visit to personally deal with the problem in Phillydelphia.

Having goddesses on call to deal with invaders probably keeps it from happening too often.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 26, 2011, 11:46:14 am »

Well, we know that Celestia and Luna have lifespans measured in millenia at the least. It isn't unreasonable to assume that at some point in the distant past they had simply killed off so many predators that the only surviving ones in the present have genetic traits/magical compulsion that prevents them from approaching pony lands. As for the griffons, I'd think that a few decades of wholesale genocide would convince them that eating ponies is a bad idea. This goes off the assumption that Celestia is essentially a pragmatic goddess who puts on the benevolent dictator facade for the benefit of her subjects. She really does care about them, to the point that she will kill off/magically mass mind-control species that threaten them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 26, 2011, 12:00:43 pm »

So at this point, we have a geocentric solar system that only functions with external forces (magic) forcing them to move, a dictator who xenocided everything that she could, and aforementioned dictator is most likely a control freak.

My little pony... My little pony...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 26, 2011, 12:12:46 pm »

Were you part of the conversation back when we were discussing the racially based caste system and child slavery implied in the show?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 26, 2011, 12:30:31 pm »

How is Spike a child slave? He's essentially Twilight's kid, and having your child assist you in daily chores is pretty much par for the course. You could say that he's being overworked for a child, but considering that some children end up supporting their families as soon as they get old enough to work, even in first-world countries, Spike certainly isn't suffering.
Nothing important here, move along.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:46 pm »

I wouldn't even go that far.
He is essentially Twilight's assistant and while we don't know whether she pays him (I'm guessing Twilight basically got a scholarship from Princess Celestia and gets enough money from that to take care of herself), he does get board and lodging from working for her.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 26, 2011, 01:20:58 pm »

How is Spike a child slave? He's essentially Twilight's kid

Twilight's entrance exam to Celestia's magic school was to hatch a dragon egg. Consider the implications of that. If that's the standard entrance exam...where are they getting all the eggs from?

He's essentially Twilight's kid

But she's obviously not his mother. I would describe him as a wizard's familiar. He is Twilight's assistant, and presumably if others who pass the entrance exam also hatch eggs and also get their own baby dragon imprinted to them, then the standard practice seems to be to steal baby dragons and hand them out to successful magic students to act as servants.

How is that not child slavery?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 26, 2011, 01:27:14 pm »

I'd imagine that there are civilized dragons who don't want children yet or uncivilized dragons who just want to get rid of the runt of the litter while making gold from it.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 26, 2011, 01:28:02 pm »

It seems highly unlikely that they expect untrained applicants to be able to hatch the egg magically in the first place. The egg is not incubated and likely unfertilized. Twilight was probably the exception to the entire system in that she did something that should have been impossible.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 26, 2011, 01:28:51 pm »

There are a few things wrong with your conclusions, Bucket.
First of all, we don't know whether this is a standard entrance exam or a special occasion. Dragons don't seem like motherly creatures, so if the wizards of Equestria stumble upon a dragon egg, ensuring that they grow up safely makes sense, especially because dragons are really rare.
Furthermore, we haven't seen any other unicorns that have servants or assistants. We don't know whether the baby dragon was handed out to Twilight or whether she chose to care for him.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 26, 2011, 01:29:32 pm »

Were you part of the conversation back when we were discussing the racially based caste system and child slavery implied in the show?
Eeyup.

How is Spike a child slave? He's essentially Twilight's kid, and having your child assist you in daily chores is pretty much par for the course. You could say that he's being overworked for a child, but considering that some children end up supporting their families as soon as they get old enough to work, even in first-world countries, Spike certainly isn't suffering.
We were talking about the rock farm that Pinkamena worked at, with her Amish parents, I believe.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 26, 2011, 01:32:23 pm »

That's a family business. The children are essentially doing their chores.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 26, 2011, 01:35:50 pm »

That's a family business. The children are essentially doing their chores.
Eeyup. I don't think it's child slavery, but when fanon gets involved...

things get Fun.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 26, 2011, 01:37:51 pm »

I don't really like THE SHOW IS A HORRIFYING DYSTOPIA! line of thinking. I prefer the Equestria is fine, but after this fanfic it'll be Hell on Earth line of thinking.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 153