Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216690 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #525 on: October 26, 2011, 09:23:19 pm »

Just go with the Four Horsemen (hurr hurr) of the Apocalypse and make up two more.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:58 pm »

I'll be more direct. How will ponies take dragon eggs and get away with it?

I don't really understand how you can ask this question seriously. Spike obviously had time to eat his fill. How long does it take a dragon to hunt, eat and return home? Twenty minutes? An hour? How long does it take for a magic weilding, teleporting unicorn to rush in, grab an egg and leave?

It would be very easy, and magic and/or flight could be used to cover tracks and hide scent. You've suggested that a dragon would go after the egg. But how does she do that when the eggnaper leaves no scent? How does she do that if the egg is passed off to a pegasus? We've no indication of how fast dragons can fly, but we've every indication that pegasi can fly very fast, and bring in rain and clouds to hide in and remove their scent from the air if they want to. Where does your rampaging dragon go to find her egg? Which village does she destroy? Surely she knows where they all are, but with no indication of which one is harboring her egg, or even if it's in a village at all, does she risk the wrath of ponies and goddesses tearing up towns to find it?

If ponies wanted to steal eggs, they could.

Except for the bit about how male lions tend to kill
male cubs to prevent them from becoming competition.

And yet, humans nevertheless return lions to the wild.

Ponies don't. They keep them as servants.

Owls Well That Ends Well has the equivalent of someone breaking into your home and eating a bowl full of breath mints when you've got a stocked kitchen, tons of electronics, and a basement full of weapons and tools. Not exactly something to be more than annoyed at. I was plainly not talking about situations in which nothing of import was stolen

See: Every story to ever use the "dragon in a cave with treasure" plot point.

Yes, see every story to ever use dragon treasure as a plot point, and I think you'll see that equating stealing a belly fell of gems from a dragon's hoard is not analagous to stealing a bowl full of breath mints.

I already addressed this in my post.

You nevertheless asked the question and I answered it. I find your arguments suggesting that the messaging is of no particular value unconvincing. Here they are:

A pegasus can fly from Canterlot to Ponyville in less than a day

And a dragon can relay a message in seconds. Clearly dragon messaging is superior.

The second is hardly necessary, given the relatively peaceful nature of Equestria.

They, nevertheless, do it. I don't understand how you can insist that it's not necessary when the observeable fact remains that they do this. Ponies use dragons to facilitate messages, and obviously they perceive it to be worthwhile to do so.

If you want to assert on your own that you personally think the value they get from it isn't worth the moral tradeoff of using the dragons in such a way...go ahead and make that assertion. But it won't change the fact that they nevertheless use dragons to send messages.

You also edited my statement to act as a strawman for your own argument, such that it is.

Are you serious? Do you even know what that means?

A Strawman argument is:

"to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position"

I created no proposition to dismantle. You asked a question, and I answered it. I simply edited out the rest of the paragraph that wasn't part of the question I was answering.

Here's your complete quote:

And the point I was making was that an isolated incident involving three individuals involved in a rather poorly designed attempt at enslaving a fourth with a fairly rare special talent which was very useful to them, which was rapidly thwarted, is substantially different from an organized program of enslavement on the part of a benevolent goddess/dictator who has no practical reason for doing so. Why would they possibly need dragon child-slaves? This is the biggest flaw in your argument: there is no economic or social reason for ponies to enslave dragon children. Why?

And here's my response:

Isn't that obvious? They're the communications medium between Celestia and the students of her school. This is shown in every single episode. Why are you even asking this?

My answer stands just as well, I simply removed the portions of the paragraph that I wasn't responding to. There's no strawman here, and there's no conspiracy to twist your words. Read what you said, then read what I said. You asked why, I told you why.

You also edited my statement to act as a strawman
for your own argument, such that it is.

Don't try to impress people with formal debate terms when you don't know what they mean.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 26, 2011, 09:44:21 pm »

Disturbing rumor I found on a tvtropes page. Scroll down to Friendship is Magic.

YMMV on this, but My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is supposed to change styles in Season 3 (in the works, to quote fansites), according to fan sites. From what the rumors say, it's believed to be influenced by Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo (or possibly) The Pink Panther. And this is all done in Adobe Flash! Whether this will make it better, well, Your Mileage May Vary. And it will.
Since ED hasn't said anything on this (and they even report rumors most the time), and google turns up nothing, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say someone made it up. Still, it inspires pure terror in me, especially after hating Lesson Zero's... experimental animation changes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:20 pm »

Disturbing rumor I found on a tvtropes page. Scroll down to Friendship is Magic.

YMMV on this, but My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is supposed to change styles in Season 3 (in the works, to quote fansites), according to fan sites. From what the rumors say, it's believed to be influenced by Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo (or possibly) The Pink Panther. And this is all done in Adobe Flash! Whether this will make it better, well, Your Mileage May Vary. And it will.
Since ED hasn't said anything on this (and they even report rumors most the time), and google turns up nothing, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say someone made it up. Still, it inspires pure terror in me, especially after hating Lesson Zero's... experimental animation changes.

Isn't it already being made in Flash?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 26, 2011, 10:15:13 pm »

I don't really understand how you can ask this question seriously. Spike obviously had time to eat his fill. How long does it take a dragon to hunt, eat and return home? Twenty minutes? An hour? How long does it take for a magic weilding, teleporting unicorn to rush in, grab an egg and leave?

It would be very easy, and magic and/or flight could be used to cover tracks and hide scent. You've suggested that a dragon would go after the egg. But how does she do that when the eggnaper leaves no scent? How does she do that if the egg is passed off to a pegasus? We've no indication of how fast dragons can fly, but we've every indication that pegasi can fly very fast, and bring in rain and clouds to hide in and remove their scent from the air if they want to. Where does your rampaging dragon go to find her egg? Which village does she destroy? Surely she knows where they all are, but with no indication of which one is harboring her egg, or even if it's in a village at all, does she risk the wrath of ponies and goddesses tearing up towns to find it?

Hold it RIGHT there.

Even you should know that animals, ESPECIALLY large carnivores (which Dragons most definitely ARE) have a much poorer survival chance when released back into the wild than when they have been there since birth.
Might want to see Griffith et al 1989, Fischer & Lindenmayer 2000, Jule et al 2008.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 26, 2011, 10:23:58 pm »

Not only that, but they don't release lion cubs to the wild, but adult lions. Spike is a baby dragon, so releasing him to the wild would be quite careless.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 26, 2011, 10:30:59 pm »

Hold it RIGHT there.

Even you should know that animals, ESPECIALLY large carnivores (which Dragons most definitely ARE) have a much poorer survival chance when released back into the wild than when they have been there since birth.
Might want to see Griffith et al 1989, Fischer & Lindenmayer 2000, Jule et al 2008.

I would be more inclined to continue this if LordBucket didn't ignore half of the points I raised, particularly in regards to how enslaving dragonets isn't efficient or practical on any level. He seems to think that because ponies have the (tenuous) ability to steal eggs, they automatically are going to start kidnapping and enslaving baby dragons, despite lacking any sort of moral, ethical, economic, social, cultural, religious, or political motivation to do so. Either way, this is probably going to turn into an endless feedback loop after much longer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 26, 2011, 10:35:01 pm »

Indeed.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 26, 2011, 10:35:48 pm »

When I woke up for breakfast, I saw you guys discussing various MLP stuff, like child slavery and dragons. Now, after I ate lunch, you guys are still discussing that?

/srsbzns
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 26, 2011, 10:36:06 pm »

Yeah, we might as well start quoting our own comments from 3 pages back, it would have the same effect.
Oh wait, we're already doing that!
Well, crap.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 26, 2011, 10:37:06 pm »

When I woke up for breakfast, I saw you guys discussing various MLP stuff, like child slavery and dragons. Now, after I ate lunch, you guys are still discussing that?

/srsbzns

Trying to end it now that it is clear that it isn't going anywhere, so that we can get back to talking about torture and things that will get this thread locked. Actually, we should stick to the torture.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 26, 2011, 10:39:27 pm »

this is probably going to turn into an endless feedback loop after much longer.

yeah, I'm ready to be done at any time. It's frustrating that I can quote out nine separate parts of a post, and spend forty fucking minutes typing out responses, but you complain that I'm not being thorough enough, while some of you are quoting half a dozen paragraphs and giving one line answers.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 26, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »

So.

Torture.

If you knew that the ponies were sapient beings, but also knew that they could regrow every one of their organs, and that these organs were perfect fits for human replacements...

Would you do it?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:25 pm »

Set up the organ equivalent of a blood drive.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 26, 2011, 10:43:25 pm »

Set up the organ equivalent of a blood drive.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 153