Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216568 times)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #885 on: November 05, 2011, 08:22:23 pm »

I found this, I died of laughter.
YOU find this, YOU die of laughter.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 05, 2011, 08:30:57 pm »

I found this, I died of laughter.
YOU find this, YOU die of laughter.
Great, congratulations.

Now I know that concentrated appleseed paste contains cyanide. Time to offer punch to the local school cult!

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 05, 2011, 09:58:37 pm »

at first i thought raritys mom was Ms. Cake

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 05, 2011, 10:21:31 pm »

Bleh. Dunno what to think about today's episode, really, even after watching it twice and trying to think about it all day. I don't dislike it.... but I don't really like it either. There's nothing really wrong with it but there's nothing really to love either. It just seems... shallow. Flat. Like I'm watching an extremely good episode of the original series.

There wasn't much comedy and the heartwarming fell kinda flat due to feeling like I'm being bludgeoned with it. It would've worked better with some subtlety (facial expressions in season 2 are really over-expressive so far). The conflict just didn't really grab me, so of course the resolution didn't affect me either. Maybe it's because I wasn't really sympathetic to either of them.

It's weird; I don't know how to place it. All the other episodes in MLP I've had at least some strong opinion on (even if it's hate like for lesson zero or feeling pinkie keen). This one just feels incredibly average.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 05, 2011, 10:28:25 pm »

I cannot think about anything important to the discussion at hand because I have not watched a single episode of any of the second series apart from the first one, which I didn't really like, to be perfectly honest.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 05, 2011, 10:30:09 pm »

While Appleseeds contain Cyanide it's coated in an indigestible shell.

So you could spend an entire day doing nothing but swallowing Appleseeds and you would be fine.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 05, 2011, 10:41:09 pm »

While Appleseeds contain Cyanide it's coated in an indigestible shell.

So you could spend an entire day doing nothing but swallowing Appleseeds and you would be fine.
Exactly as designed.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 05, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »

Even if you broke open the appleseeds, there's not enough cyanide to kill you. Unless you ate enough apples that your stomach burst open.
Nothing important here, move along.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 05, 2011, 10:49:01 pm »

Even if you broke open the appleseeds, there's not enough cyanide to kill you. Unless you ate enough apples that your stomach burst open.

Given that these are My Little Ponies we are talking about. I think that is possible for them to eat apples equal to their bodyweight (in fact havn't they done that before?)

Also I don't think even then there is enough Cyanide to kill you even in that much appleseeds (the issue is health degredation over time). (goodness I remember one series I watched where someone was killed with a sewing needle coated in cyanide. Unfortunately what I found out is that it wouldn't have killed anyone)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 05, 2011, 11:07:29 pm »

A few things have come up. First we laughed

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and then we were impressed by a rather good humanized Celestia.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Given that these are My Little Ponies we are talking about. I think that is possible for them to eat apples equal to their bodyweight (in fact havn't they done that before?)

Also I don't think even then there is enough Cyanide to kill you even in that much appleseeds (the issue is health degredation over time). (goodness I remember one series I watched where someone was killed with a sewing needle coated in cyanide. Unfortunately what I found out is that it wouldn't have killed anyone)

Far from the first time I've posted this, but it fits so very well.

Regarding future episodes: Cautiously optimistic.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 05, 2011, 11:12:03 pm »

Goodness I got to see one of these episodes.

The only my little pony I ever watched was... a really REALLY bad episode of 2nd (or possibly) 3rd generation My Little Pony (as opposed to this which is 4th). Though I only watched it because it was on.

THOUGH this could be one of those fads that are a lot less interesting to anyone who isn't thrown into it... Like Beiber and his generic songs.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:15:02 pm by Neonivek »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 05, 2011, 11:50:55 pm »

Also I don't think even then there is enough Cyanide to kill you even in that much appleseeds

Piecing together information from a couple links: 1 2 3 4 5

Assuming the data is correct, 1.5mg of cyanide per kg of body weight can be lethal, and apple seeds contain 0.6mg hydrogen cyanide per 1000mg of dry seed. A 150lb human is ~68kg, so 108mg cyanide required. 108mg / .6 * 1000 = 180,000mg of seeds for a lethal dose. That's ~.397 pounds of appleseed to kill a 150 pound human.

With the caveat that you would have to chew the seeds because apparently the shells tend to be indigestible. And I imagine if you mouthed a handful of seeds you'd tend to swallow most of them, so you'd have to carefully chew them a couple at a time. I haven't been able to find numbers for the weight of appleseeds, but if I were to venture a guess of general order of magnitude, we're probably talking several tens of thousands of appleseeds, chewed 2-3 at a time, to get a fatal dose.

Apples have typically between 4 and 12 seeds each, with healthier apples tending to have more. Since Applejack is awesome, obviously her apples are healthy and will have lots of seeds. So we'll assume 12.  10,000 / 12 = 833 apples to get 10,000 seeds.

So...a couple thousand apples worth of seeds might be fatal?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 05, 2011, 11:58:37 pm »

Well don't forget that every hour your body expells half the Cyanide it injested.

So if you chewed 2 at a time you could actually reach a state where you can never get to a lethal dose.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 06, 2011, 12:01:46 am »

Also I don't think even then there is enough Cyanide to kill you even in that much appleseeds

Piecing together information from a couple links: 1 2 3 4 5

Assuming the data is correct, 1.5mg of cyanide per kg of body weight can be lethal, and apple seeds contain 0.6mg hydrogen cyanide per 1000mg of dry seed. A 150lb human is ~68kg, so 108mg cyanide required. 108mg / .6 * 1000 = 180,000mg of seeds for a lethal dose. That's ~.397 pounds of appleseed to kill a 150 pound human.

With the caveat that you would have to chew the seeds because apparently the shells tend to be indigestible. And I imagine if you mouthed a handful of seeds you'd tend to swallow most of them, so you'd have to carefully chew them a couple at a time. I haven't been able to find numbers for the weight of appleseeds, but if I were to venture a guess of general order of magnitude, we're probably talking several tens of thousands of appleseeds, chewed 2-3 at a time, to get a fatal dose.

Apples have typically between 4 and 12 seeds each, with healthier apples tending to have more. Since Applejack is awesome, obviously her apples are healthy and will have lots of seeds. So we'll assume 12.  10,000 / 12 = 833 apples to get 10,000 seeds.

So...a couple thousand apples worth of seeds might be fatal?
*sigh*
*chop*
*split*
*pry*
832 more apples to go.

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 06, 2011, 12:34:23 am »

Bleh. Dunno what to think about today's episode, really, even after watching it twice and trying to think about it all day. I don't dislike it.... but I don't really like it either. There's nothing really wrong with it but there's nothing really to love either. It just seems... shallow. Flat. Like I'm watching an extremely good episode of the original series.

There wasn't much comedy and the heartwarming fell kinda flat due to feeling like I'm being bludgeoned with it. It would've worked better with some subtlety (facial expressions in season 2 are really over-expressive so far). The conflict just didn't really grab me, so of course the resolution didn't affect me either. Maybe it's because I wasn't really sympathetic to either of them.

It's weird; I don't know how to place it. All the other episodes in MLP I've had at least some strong opinion on (even if it's hate like for lesson zero or feeling pinkie keen). This one just feels incredibly average.

it was a pretty average episode, but i have to say, that rarity face at the end was a little creepy, and thats awesome. tho perhaps its just in my head and nobody else thought that?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:36:19 am by adecoy95 »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 153