Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216600 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #1140 on: November 09, 2011, 08:58:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 09, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »

I just wanna see Ponies Vs. Nazis Vs. Mongols Vs. Vietnam Era Americans. :'(

Couple observations:

* It wouldn't take a very clever unicorn to levitate an ursa into an invading army, drop it on its head and simply leave.

* In Boast Busters, the water tower that twilight telekinetically ripped from the ground was outside of town. There's no line of sight limitation on unicorn magic. She was able to pull a fairly massive object containing about 15 tons of liquid (the math was uninteresting, but that was my estimate), perform fine motor control by milking cows to fill it, then float the whole thing into town, and give it to the ursa. And then pick him up too and levitate them both clear out to a cave in the Everfree forest. Even without computing the weight of the ursa (difficult, as it didn't appear to be flesh) that's still an impressive feat of magic. And Twilight is basically a college student. Talented perhaps, but a "college students" in Equestria are telekinetically lifting 15+ ton objects while performing fine motor control with them and quickly moving them across perhaps miles of distance without line of sight. How many much older, more experienced unicorns are there also able to perform feats of similar magnitude?

* We don't have much information on the full extent of Celestia and Luna's power. We know they can move celestial bodies, but does that mean that Celestia is telekinetically accelerating 10^27 tons of mass at 93 million miles distance fast enough for it to be clearly visible as several degrees of motion? If that's the kind of magnitude of force she's able to exert, then it's totally reasonable to suggest that she could levitate an entire army and telekinetically crush it into a super dense ball of goo, possibly without ever bothering to leave her palace. But we have to make all kinds of assumptions, that the mass and distance of Equestria's suns are similar...that they're even stellar phenomenon like we have in our universe, etc.

Since it appears to not take several minutes between Celestia raising the sun and its light being visible, the Equestrian sun is presumably much closer and smaller than ours.  And moving the sun and the moon can be interpreted in ways other than direct telekinetic force. The Equestrian sun might not be a sun like in our universe. Banishing "Luna" to "the moon" might have been a non-physical event. When Celestia appeared over Ponyvile in Lesson Zero she might have flown rather than teleported. Some of her demonstrated feats can be explained away. However...

* In Friendship Is Magic part 2, Celestia does a very interesting thing: she verbally responds to Applejack, and then flies from beyond the horizon as a ball of light to a compete stop inside the room over the course of about 8 seconds.

Couple things:

1) She is very visibly a ball of light, and not in pony form. Presumably that would take care of being liquified by acceleration forces. But if she's able to transform into a non-corporeal light body, then it's reasonable to suggest that she may be able to render herself immune to any kind of mundane weaponry. What effect will swords and artillery shells have on a ball of light? Additionally, since she's able to casually deconstruct and reconstruct her body from physical pony to light, it's plausible to suggest that destroying her physical body might not kill her. She might be able to simply make a new one.

2) She was aware of the conversation in the room and was able to project her voice into even though she herself was not there. This is consistent with Twilight's feat of lifting the water tower from outside of town. Unicorn magic can clearly be used to casually observe out of sight locations from miles away and perform magic remotely at that distance.

3) Since Luna was banished to the moon, it's reasonable to suggest that Celestia might have been banished to the sun. That she appeared as a ball of light from beyond the horizon would tend to support that interpretation. If so...the implication is that she only not only did all this from "a couple miles away" but rather, she may have done all of this from an interplanetary distance. If Celestia is to observe events while not even on the planet, use magic to locally create the sound of her voice at that distance, then engage in planetary reentry and near-instant deceleration, all while not even physically manifest in her body, and from the calmness of her voice, and all of this with minimal effort. Some of these feats might not directly translate well into combat capability. But the general level of magical competence and power she's demonstrated tends to support the interpretation of Celestia as a reality-warping Goddess rather than merely a magic-wielding unicorn.

3a) If she was banished to the sun like Luna was banished the moon, and if you interpret that as a physical event, that implies that she's able to withstand temperatures and gravitational forces present on a star, lack of oxygen, etc. And if you don't interpret it as a physical event, it once again suggests that Celestia's physical body is just a convenient and temporary shell she's wearing. Destroying it is unlikely to harm her.

4) If they do manage to kill her, life on the planet basically ends because the sun won't rise or set anymore.

I don't think human armies, modern of otherwise, stand much of a chance.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 09, 2011, 09:13:55 pm »

Even though I still think Twilight exhibits god-like power far beyond most ponies, I do agree that Celestia could completely wipe the floor with any hostile force that didn't have demonstrably equal or greater superphysical manipulation ability like Discord, and that's considering she currently doesn't have the Elements directly helping her. God knows what her, her presumably equally-powerful sister, and the main 6 could to to a hostile force if they worked together. They could non-lethally neutralize an entire army without even exhibiting the strain that batting an eye would cause for your average human.
Nothing important here, move along.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 09, 2011, 09:26:45 pm »

Maybe Celestia just holds back all the time, but after Luna Eclipsed I'd fathom Luna could be stronger. I'm not sure she's shaping those lightning clouds or putting cracks in the floor consciously.

Besides, if Celestia could overpower her fairly, there wouldn't of been a need to send her to the moon.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 09, 2011, 09:31:13 pm »

Like I said, equally powerful. Luna probably isn't used to her power considering after NMM was defeated she was stuck as a non-godlike for a while, and I doubt that Celestia would have any good reason to demonstrate her absolute power considering the worst incidents she usually deals with personally are rather minor compared to the abilities of a god.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 09, 2011, 09:31:43 pm »

I'd debate their knowing of a human invasion. I'd also debate why Celestia sent the kids to take down the dragon if she is that powerful.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 09, 2011, 09:33:27 pm »

I'd debate their knowing of a human invasion. I'd also debate why Celestia
sent the kids to take down the dragon if she is that powerful.

Because it was just a dragon. It wasn't worthy of her time. Unicorn kids can deal with dragons.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 09, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

Then why does Twilight run from the dragon that almost eats Spike?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 09, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »

Twilight alone could just hurl Ursa Minors at the army. Problem solved. Considering that she can do the whole "pick up a several ton container of water from across town and perform fine manipulation, then pick up a giant bear and travel it many miles", she could easily space some soldiers. If she couldn't do that, she could probably just tear the air away from them, causing instant death from decompression.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 09, 2011, 09:36:46 pm »

Considering that she had to put a lot of effort into that, I'm not sure she could do it multiple times.

Also, modern armies would laugh at an Ursa Major before killing it brutally, let along a mere ursa minor.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 09, 2011, 09:38:16 pm »

She isn't exactly self-aware. She probably has no real concept of just how insanely powerful she is. Besides, as far as she knows and we know, she's still mortal. Doesn't matter how much raw power you have when you could be killed by a hard tap to the wrong area.

Ninjedit: A modern army wouldn't have an issue with a living creature, but I'd imagine having a tree slam through a quarter of a company would probably put the rest of them on the ground long enough for Twi to rest up for a second swing, and by the time she had to do a third the soldiers would either be trying to crawl forward or with their hands held high, depending on how hardass they were.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:42:05 pm by TheBronzePickle »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 09, 2011, 09:42:15 pm »

Considering that she had to put a lot of effort into that, I'm not sure she could do it multiple times.

Also, modern armies would laugh at an Ursa Major before killing it brutally, let along a mere ursa minor.
A bear several times the size of a house would scare the shit out of most of the men. especially considering they do not know what the hell it is.

Ursa Major? About 15 times the size of an Ursa Minor? Rape.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 09, 2011, 09:43:02 pm »

She was there to rescue Spike, not kill the thing. Not in her nature to go looking for a fight.

Also, modern armies would laugh at an Ursa Major
before killing it brutally, let along a mere ursa minor.

Blind assertion. Justify it.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 09, 2011, 09:45:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BACK TO THE FUTURE: PART 4
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 09, 2011, 09:45:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure that, while a modern army wouldn't take a giant translucent bear as some kind of joke, they'd probably just shoot it until it stopped moving anyway. Unless that didn't harm it in the slightest, I don't think an Ursa Minor, or even Major, would be a problem to a well-trained force.

If you had conscripts or other badly-trained soldiers, however, they'd have a much harder time because they'd likely be scared shitless.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 153