Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 215302 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #1965 on: November 17, 2011, 02:23:24 pm »

I fail to see how that relates to either Twilight in any sense. Care to elaborate?
くコ:彡

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: November 17, 2011, 02:35:33 pm »

i searched MLP dragons and that was number one.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:37 pm »

That doesn't answer my question at all.
I fail to see how that relates to either Twilight in any sense. Care to elaborate?
くコ:彡

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: November 17, 2011, 02:39:43 pm »

On the topic of being a pony, I imagine just about every brony has wondered about it at some point.

On one hand, wanting to be anything other than an earth pony sort of makes me feel like I'm trying to be better than "normal".  The ponies don't get to pick what they are, and just have to accept what genetics gives them, but wanting to be a unicorn because they have magic... I dunno, maybe this would make more sense in context of writing a story.

Anyway, of the choices I'd probably pick a unicorn.  Magic is just too useful to ignore.  Pegasi can fly, but unicorns can probably learn to do something similar with magic (and for all I know have in the show already).  And the ability to perform fine motor actions is too important to me to ignore.

Heck, if the average unicorn can do 1/10th of what Twilight Sparkle can, then being a unicorn is hands down the choice for me.

Pegasus would be the next choice, because flying would be pretty awesome if I couldn't have magic.

Not sure I'd be happy being an earth pony.  Losing hands and fingers is pretty serious without something to compensate for it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: November 17, 2011, 02:40:33 pm »

i searched MLP dragons and that was number one.
Nope, still doesn't relate to Twilight at all.

Anyway, Dsarker, I found this posted by you in the old thread:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was posted completely without context and I haven't seen any reference to it in the subsequent posts in the thread, so did you write that little story? And did you draw that picture?
Edit: Of course, the time in the quote title is completely wrong, but I have no idea how the "date" thing works on this forum and I can't use the "Quote" button in locked threads.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:42:09 pm by MC Dirty »

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: November 17, 2011, 02:43:06 pm »

that thing about fluttershy and that person, what is it?is it a story i wil lread it!

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: November 17, 2011, 02:44:09 pm »

that thing about fluttershy and that person, what is it?is it a story i wil lread it!

The context is right there if you just click the quote title. I said it was just a short story. This is all there is.
Edit: Well, to be quite exact, I don't know if that's all there is. If I google any part of that story, I just find that same thread. So, it stands to reason that that's all there is and that Dsarker wrote it. But, again, we can't be sure.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:48:39 pm by MC Dirty »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: November 17, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »

The thing about becoming a pony... you'd pretty much have to expect to leave everything behind.  You are essentially abandoning your past existence to become one with this new world.

Would you be able to communicate 'back home'?  Go back?  I'd think not...

You would have to adjust to the new culture, you'd have to go without much of the old sorts of entertainment you used to have.  You'd have no internet, no trolls or assholery that you are used to.  You'd mostly meet ponies, who would accept you, but not know what you are on about when you try to make in-jokes or refer to things in your old life.  On average, simple and friendly folk.  Most of them would just be that, friendly ponies, who probably could never understand you.
Another thing, will you end up being that asshole pony in the end?  When you compare yourself to ponykind...

Physically, you'd have to adjust to that too.  Walking on all 4s for stability at first.  Doing without fingers and thumbs.  Getting over the fact that you use your mouth to handle most things.
If you are a Unicorn, you'd basically be a filly/colt when it comes to using that horn magic.
As a Pegasus, are your wings going to be treated as if its never been used, being new?  You'd probably have to start at filly/colt level, unable to fully fly until you train its strength... then learn to not be Rainbow Crash...

As a new pony, will you come into this world as a blank flank?  Or will you come in, your fate/talent already decided for you?
Will you come into this world full grownwhatever human/pony age relation you are now... or as a filly/colt?

Can you adjust to this new world?  Is it truly what you want?  Surrounded by 'friends' but... will it stave off the feeling that you don't truly belong?  That nopony can understand you?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:03:52 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: November 17, 2011, 03:11:31 pm »

What I wan't to be depends stongly on how the conversion process works. Specificaly, how literally the mind is translated and how cutie marks/special talents transfers.

I'm assuming that the races are actually balanced - so what are the advantages of earth ponies? Well, applejack has superhuman contentiousness and downright supernatural skill at a wide veriity of physical tasks. Pinkie can break the fourth wall, and have shown crazy engineering skill. Most of the nobles shown at the gala wee earth ponies.

Seems to me that whatever earth ponies have, it's mental. That is WAY more usefull than any physical trick like flight or telekinessis. But it also means that advantage might not actually be given to someone who transforms into one rather than being born like that.

Meanwhile, the unicorn magic we've seen so far... Well, there are lots of powerful and useful things, but they wouldn't be usefull for any of the things I do seriusly. On the other hand, they are said to adapt to the special talents... And things relating to things I'd conider special tallents of mine would be incredibly usefll, in my hooves even more so precisely because I'm tallented at them. What magic spells would a cognitive science cuti mark, or an artificial intelligence cutie mark, or a decition theory cutie mark, or even a web surfing cutie mark, give? Presumably ones that let you manipulate brains, program and/or train artificial intelligences, help you make better decitions, or download information rapidly into your brain. ANY of those and I'd eventually take over the world.

So; do I get superhuman mental attributes from choosing earth pony? Do I get spells related to MY special talent(s) if I chose unicorn? My answer depends a lot on both of those.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: November 17, 2011, 03:19:12 pm »

I think I'd be a lot happier without the trappings of this life. Yeah, I'd miss my games and my internet (probably more like withdrawal, honestly) but once I got used to it, I'd be very happy. I'd miss my family and friends, but I really don't interact with them much anyway.

I wouldn't mind being the mysterious stranger. I'm already like that in most of my dealings with humanity. I'd just be friendly, work odd jobs for ponies, and be happy with the handful of genuine smiles I get. Maybe after a while I might try to become close with a few ponies I connected to, but otherwise I'd just live my life from one day to the next.

If I were a blank flank, I wouldn't care that much. If I had a cutie mark, I'd probably test its limits. If I were an older blank flank, I'd just mess with the little kids telling them they might end up like me. If I were young again, I'd enjoy my return to youth with reckless abandon. Everything would work out no matter what, lest I somehow met an early demise.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: November 17, 2011, 03:29:57 pm »

I always considered myself to be a highly adaptable person, in addition to highly asocial. No internet or electronic entertainment of any kind would probably cause me to feel lost for a while, not to mention bored, but I would adapt to it. In regards to friendly ponies, however, I would be facing quite the challenge. I don't normally socialize offline because it's hard for me to find people with the same interests as me around. (having so few people around who can even barely understand english is probably part of that) In Equestria, I'd be a fish out of water in every conceivable sense (bar breathing), with absolutely nothing I could relate to with practically anyone. If I retain the same personality I have here, I'd respond to all attempts at befriending me with a firmly defensive stance. It'd take quite a feat to actually make me socialize in those circumstances, but I suspect that if any 'verse could to that to me, Equestria would. So all in all, it wouldn't be worse than the life here by far.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: November 17, 2011, 03:35:12 pm »

Honestly, the world right now is so complicated that I will sit down and wonder if I'm ever going to end up doing anything. Will I ever really get a decent job that I enjoy? Settle down and start a family, or make a difference in the world? In Equestria, I know that I could fit in somewhere, because that's the point of the entire nation.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: November 17, 2011, 03:35:25 pm »

I do have the feeling that I'd probably manage to piss off a couple people before I got my feet straight, but I'm certain that I'd be able to make it up with them. Sometimes, coming from a family of liars and manipulators is actually quite useful.

That still wouldn't save me when I accidentally insulted Princess Celestia in front of a room of her various supporters, however. I'm sure, though, that I'd have the sense to keep my mouth firmly shut until spoken to, and to take my time to make sure I said nothing wrong.

Then, once there was nobody but me and the princess, then I could ask her if I could get a... private audience.
Nothing important here, move along.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: November 17, 2011, 03:41:22 pm »

What I wan't to be depends stongly on how the conversion process works. Specificaly, how literally the mind is translated and how cutie marks/special talents transfers. *snip*
So; do I get superhuman mental attributes from choosing earth pony? Do I get spells related to MY special talent(s) if I chose unicorn? My answer depends a lot on both of those.

The way cutie mark and unicorn magic works...  I believe every spell is learn-able... but... it is much much harder to learn things that don't relate to the special talent.  Probably limited in skill/power the further away it relates to that spell too...  Its like in a skill based RPG... 
But, I guess there are sub-talents that don't have to relate to the cutie mark... but more to the personality of the pony.

Pony: Rarity
Cutie Mark: Gems
Sub-Talent: Multi-Tasking and Fashion Sense
Spell: Finding Gems (Super Proficient)
Spells relating to Fashionable Stuff (Super Proficient)
Spells on Sciency Stuff (Terribad Proficiency in both learning and using, since she is not interested)

Yea, my ideamake stuff up juice has run out on this.

As for Earth Pony super mental attributes... its... unlikely... you are who you are.  Confidence, mannerisms, self-consciousness and whatever else...  I can't really make up an answer for that...  Its just... will you be mentally and emotionally empowered by all this change...? 
For simplicity... its like morale... 
high morale = higher mental stats/willpower
low morale = lower mental stats/willpower
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: November 17, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »

snipped by Celestia
Then, once there was nobody but me and the princess, then I could ask her if I could get a... private audience.

private audience...it allready is isnt it..but nvm.

Rip goat, more loli
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 153