Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Real-Life Cotton Candy  (Read 9995 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Real-Life Cotton Candy
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2011, 06:12:41 pm »

Quote from: Loud Whispers
If something's hitting your spaceship, you're probably already screwed. A peanut in Earth's orbit can hit a space station with the equivalent force of a 50. Bullet  :o

Interestingly, because throughout the history of manned space exploration waste management (human waste that is) has largely consisted of dumping it overboard (or however we are supposed to refer to it on a spaceship), the most common thing you're likely to be hit by in low Earth orbit is shit travel in excess of 30,000 miles an hour. Frozen solid into something much like extremely unhygienic steel. This actually causes damage in the millions each year to satellites.
Somhow this didn't get throguh the forst time I tried to post it, apperently:

When it eventually does impact something, it's guaranteed to be some kind of air conditioning unit. Or maybe just a devote follower of something.

SIR! THEY'RE LAUNCHING SCIENTOLOGISTS AND CTHULHU-CULTISTS AT US!

"Fire the LemoNades."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2011, 06:20:08 pm »

Quote from: Loud Whispers
If something's hitting your spaceship, you're probably already screwed. A peanut in Earth's orbit can hit a space station with the equivalent force of a 50. Bullet  :o

Interestingly, because throughout the history of manned space exploration waste management (human waste that is) has largely consisted of dumping it overboard (or however we are supposed to refer to it on a spaceship), the most common thing you're likely to be hit by in low Earth orbit is shit travel in excess of 30,000 miles an hour. Frozen solid into something much like extremely unhygienic steel. This actually causes damage in the millions each year to satellites.
Somhow this didn't get throguh the forst time I tried to post it, apperently:

When it eventually does impact something, it's guaranteed to be some kind of air conditioning unit. Or maybe just a devote follower of something.

SIR! THEY'RE LAUNCHING SCIENTOLOGISTS AND CTHULHU-CULTISTS AT US!

"Fire the LemoNades."

"What model, sir? Cave or Kinetic?"
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2011, 06:26:41 pm »

Spoiler: Off Topic Sauce lol (click to show/hide)

>Back on topic

Do you think we could literally be fully suited in this stuff? Moar sources required.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2011, 06:28:57 pm »

Feathers are indivilly lighter, larger, and flatter. They generate more air resistance. This means that their acceleration due to gravity is lessened, and so they weigh less.

Given that both masses are being weighed at the same place, and there's no air resistance (duh, they're at rest) then 1kg of feathers weighs exactly the same as 1kg of steel, rocks, blood, milk, or well, just about anything.  Unless you're on the moon, in which case, you're measuring a kg of feathers on the moon to a kg of rocks on earth.

Of course THAT doesn't work out.

Clearly we need space janitors.

This is relevant.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:30:30 pm by Draco18s »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2011, 01:28:52 am »

This whole thread has me laughing. I love when people try to play physicist online.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2011, 01:12:22 pm »

This whole thread has me laughing. I love when people try to play physicist online.

NONSENSE!

WE'RE ARE DOING !!SCIENCE!!

[Just failing]

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2011, 08:23:01 pm »

This thread made me think of two things; first, airships; second, the Foam Metals Corp. from Elite II: Frontier.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2011, 07:19:13 am »

IN THIS THREAD: 1 KILOGRAM OF FEATHERS DOES NOT HAVE EQUAL WEIGHT TO 1 KILOGRAM OF STONES. MORE AT 11.

Anyway, the whole time I was reading this, it really bothered me that they kept saying 'metal'. Surely a scientific news-source would write what sort of metal it could be compared to? That's just bad journalism, there.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2011, 09:36:56 am »

IN THIS THREAD: 1 KILOGRAM OF FEATHERS ON PLUTO DOES NOT HAVE EQUAL WEIGHT TO 1 KILOGRAM OF STONES ON MARS
fixed
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2011, 12:05:39 pm »

IN THIS THREAD: 1 KILOGRAM OF FEATHERS ON PLUTO DOES NOT HAVE EQUAL WEIGHT TO 1 KILOGRAM OF STONES ON MARS
fixed

See, this makes sense.

IN THIS THREAD: 1 KILOGRAM OF FEATHERS DOES NOT HAVE EQUAL WEIGHT TO 1 KILOGRAM OF STONES. MORE AT 11.

And this is just insulting. Any-ways... You do know what mass is right?

Anyway, the whole time I was reading this, it really bothered me that they kept saying 'metal'. Surely a scientific news-source would write what sort of metal it could be compared to? That's just bad journalism, there.

Have you ever found good journalism? :P
I guess it's safe to assume that this awesome nickel-phosphorous compound is pretty strong for something that's 99.9% air, but probably isn't going to be replacing steel, iron, copper or aluminium any time soon:]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2011, 12:42:19 pm »

You know what irony is, right?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2011, 01:10:56 pm »

You know what irony is, right?

This is relevant how?

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2011, 01:24:24 pm »

Wow, nano-chain-mail blocks that weigh almost nothing but are decently strong and springy... Metal-reinforced spider silk...

Its like Christmas.

Speaking of governments, who's gonna bet they don't already have metalized spider silk garrote--ERK! (thud)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2011, 01:30:56 pm »

Wow, nano-chain-mail blocks that weigh almost nothing but are decently strong and springy... Metal-reinforced spider silk...

Its like Christmas.

Speaking of governments, who's gonna bet they don't already have metalized spider silk garrote--ERK! (thud)

I'll bet they've trained the spiders to do it too ._.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9