Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Mountaintongues - A =*Legends of Forlorn Realms*= Succession Fortress  (Read 9782 times)

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile

This is pretty much dead. Sorry to those who wanted to participate who didn't get a chance. The rest of this post is still here just in case someone stumbles across it and wants to read what happened, I suppose.

(( A note before we begin: Legends of Forlorn Realms is a mod by narhiril that we'll be using for this fortress. It adds a lot of features, most notably brutal hostile civilizations, savage cavern denizens and "tech tree"-style progression. You should try it, it's neat. ))

Welcome to Lail Ayam, known in the common tongue as the Planet of Legend. Let's start with a bit of a history lesson, to give us a sense of purpose. Here's a geographical map:

(( click for full size ))

See that red rectangle? That's where our story takes place. A closer look:

That large lake up in the mountains is known as The Cold Blueness, and it feeds a major river called the Smoke of Fording. Two civilizations have been living together along that river, in the valley between the mountain range - known as the Field of Beaks - for over one thousand years. They are the Sanctum of Savants, a dwarven civilization (that's us) and The Ultimate Spit, a bog troll civilization. To put it lightly, we don't like each other very much. To put it accurately...

... they've been fighting their way in to our territory and we've been at war since 93. Fighting has been horrifically bloody for our side:

... but it's been getting better. In the past 10 years, the general Ushrir Certaincrew has been making strategic strikes on their camps and inflicting heavy casualties.

He recently met a rather untimely end at the whip of one of their lashers during a raid, though, and his corpse is currently on display at the top of a bismuth bronze pike. Despite the loss, our queen Lilar Castleromance has demanded that we take the fight to the enemy's capital of Smaspestrusnut ("Gristlenumbers"). A small Nephilim group known as the Trumpet Of Cradles has begun to sweep through the Ultimate Spit's territory from the south-west, so now is the most opportune time to strike and finish them off for good.

That's where we come in.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:12:09 am by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Mountaintongues - A =*Legends of Forlorn Realms*= Succession Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:58:10 pm »

TURN LIST!

1. trees [1] [2] [3]
2. Jilladilla [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
3. Archereon [1]
4. Mitchewawa
5. Pan
6. nukularpower
7. Urist McCatkiller
8. Possibly YOU! Sign up today!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:09:47 am by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: A Currently Unnamed =*Legends of Forlorn Realms*= Succession Fortress
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:00:25 pm »

GRIMFIRE, IT SHALL BE NAMED GRIMFIRE! I don't have time to play, but yeah...
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:35:41 pm »

Are you accepting dwarfings?

If so, dwarf me, something in the military preferably, if not that, a weapon/armorsmith would be nice, if not that, stonecrafter, if not that just put me wherever. :P

I was just wondering a couple of days ago why there were no community forts based around LFR. It's a great mod.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:27:42 am »

The main post is great looking. Might even ask to be part of this if not for exams. Perhaps later, if that's possible?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 05:26:35 am »

Reserved for turn list/whatever else is necessary. I'll post the first turn and other embark details within the week, and if no one signs up I'll just keep going, hehe.

I think you should take the first turn. Seems like this succession fortress will be quite story based. I think you would know about that more than someone else, hmm? Most of the time, the succession fort maker is usually the first player anyway.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:08:19 am »

I think you should take the first turn.

Oh, yeah, that's the plan; I just haven't finished the first year yet and I'm still writing it up.
Oh, and your dwarfing request has been noted, Seriyu. Others are free to ask as well.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 07:43:16 am »

Dwarf Me as RabidAnubis
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:55:54 am »

What are Iluri in the civ screen?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:35 am »

I'm just posting to say I'll definitely follow this. Not participating (at least not yet), as I'm not really familiar with the mod, only tried it out briefly.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
    • My game, a Medieval RPG. Sort of.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:16:33 pm »

can i take a turn? (and a a dwarf)

PD: Name the dwarf Blues. I'd prefer a member of the military or a miner
Dear Urist: I, the overseer, appreciate your point of view about the danger that an unarmed goblin can represent at the other side of a fortification when you try to kill it with a ballista, but, as you know, you're not paid to think. And a mindless worker is a happy worker, so shut up and do your job.

You are a Hero, an fantasy adventure with dragons, mages, ninjas and Norse mythology

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

Dwarf me as Pokeon, son of Pokean the Iron-Bearded. ;D
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 05:43:02 pm »

Spoiler: Responses (click to show/hide)
Anyway, first update!

Expedition Leader's Log

25th Obsidian, 1050
We've been on the road for ages now, but I think we're getting close. I'm sick of being cooped up in this wagon with these guys. Seriyu, a craftsdwarf by trade, has been going on and on about some beast that I've never even heard of before for days now, and the ale is running low.

As we draw closer, I'm getting more and more concerned about what we'll actually do when we arrive - I don't see a single pick in our cargo, it's filled to the brim with all of these heavy, gray lumps of rock.

26th Obsidian, 1050
I'll be damned! I took a step outside today to get away from the maniac, and one of those scaly things is trudging along with us, right behind our wagon. I'm not sure who gambled away what for this thing, but hey, it looks like it could take quite a few more smacks from a bog troll than I could.

1st Granite, 1051
We've arrived, apparently, and just in time for the new year. There's a thick blanket of snow over everything with quite a few frozen ponds hiding underneath it. I sure hope no one is taking a nap on one when they thaw out...

What an abysmal lowland. There's not a single mountain nearby to listen to the earth through. It won't be long before we forget our language and talk to the trees, instead.
In fact, maybe that's what we'll call this place, to try to remember... Mountaintongues...

As soon as we stopped, one of the designated miners thanked our wagon-pullers by turning them in to food. How lovely.

3rd Granite, 1051
No one supported my proposed name, but I had carved it in to the side of our wagon yesterday while no one was looking and today I gestured to it, claiming it to be a message from Armok himself. They all nodded in agreement. How easily these fools are manipulated!

6th Granite, 1051
Turns out that whoever packed wasn't a complete imbecile, who knew? Those rocks were copper ore and they've already been fashioned in to two picks and an axe. We even had enough to make a bronze spear and helmet for Blues, the guard we hired. Seriyu has been put on tree slaughter duty, and he seems happy enough. Elves are the last thing to worry about out here.

17th Slate, 1051
A historic day for our new outpost: we've got booze!

The miners have recently struck something too wet and dangerous for them to dig straight through - I'm not quite sure what they're doing, but it seems to be an attempt to pierce straight through the water. I hope. No proper dwarf sleeps in the sand.

20th Felsite, 1051

What the hell was that?

21th Felsite, 1051

It appears that the thunderous crash I heard yesterday was the miner's idea of getting around the groundwater. No one was injured, surprisingly, but Pokeon swears he counted fewer beard hairs on himself this morning than yesterday. Soon I will be able to touch cold stone again.

28th Hematite, 1051

We had just finished constructing scaffolding to reach the hole created by the miners when they reported something rather distressing... there's another layer of groundwater directly beneath the one they just pierced. It's the only thing left between us and the sweet, sweet slate below. When asked about how they planned to fix this, Blues remarked, "Um." We may be living in the sand for the rest of our days, at this rate.

(( I've actually never dealt with double-layered aquifers before, heh... this could end badly. ))
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:46:34 pm by trees »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »

(( I've actually never dealt with double-layered aquifers before, heh... this could end badly. ))
i would think you would do the same thing you did to bypass the 1st layer, with the dirt you dropped... maybe not... idk...
i know theres a method somewhere on the forums that is pretty compact and can pierce infinite aquifer layers if done propery, its just time consuming...
Oh and i guess i'll take a shot at this

Good luck until then!

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 09:41:38 pm »

Let's try getting under the ground before the bog trolls show up, hmm?

Still, good job so far! My only complaint is a personal one - Staircase shaft fortresses are so... unrealistic. Efficient but unsightly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7