Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1801488 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2i - New Poll - Embassy, Orcs and AdvFort.
« Reply #11130 on: April 27, 2013, 09:55:27 pm »

Ok. I kind of know what siri is, the wanna-be glados by apple, but I never heard of wolframalpha.
One could argue that GLaDOS was a Siri wannabe, since GLaDOS never installed herself on a good portion of the world's pocket computation devices.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:36 pm »

>> Smake, are you using tile 10 for anything?

nope! 

But does it flash with tile 9 when a millstone is powered? (i have no particular reason to think this, other than, why else does it exist :P )
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:04:54 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11132 on: April 27, 2013, 10:15:07 pm »

I dont care. Its a sign now. lol. On the other hand, I have never seen a powered millstone, so I dont know. ^^

But the decorative buildings now include a rug (takes on the color of the material, needs 1 block), a sign (always brown with grey floor under it) and the brazier (takes on the color of the material, but grey/white/black is recommendet)

EDIT: Oh, yes, Important decision... creature spawning. I hate how the current system is broken, so I probably port it to the "transform a pet". I would make new pets, maybe changelings/morphlings for the colosseum, and a "toolkit" pet for the constructs. Or "soulgem" or "phylactery" or something akin. So you take your turret case, your toolkit, and transform the toolkit into a turret. Of course you would have to buy these toolkits from the caravans first, for 1 dwarf buck. Or bring them on embark. And I will remove golem pets from migrants. ^^

ADVANTAGE:
100% success rate.
Exactly one creature for each reaction.
Creature counts as pet, can be controlled, moved or butchered.

DISADVANTAGE:
Limits the amount of creature. If you want 100 landmines, you need 100 of these pets first.

Anyway, thats my project for tomorrow. I finished the guilds today, did some GUI work on the settings, and made the decorations... and these minor balancing things:
- Added simple training reaction for medical skills to the apothecary.
 - Removed soap making from apothecary.
 - Added soap making to chemist.
 - The soap makers workshop still exists and can also make soap, but is disabled by default.
 - Renamed "militia commander" to "military commander"
 - Renamed "militia captain" to "sergeant", just think it fits better for the new military groups.
 - Ironbone and bloodsteel cant be used for anvils.
 - Raised value of leather, scale, chitin and shell.
 - Raised value of dwarven pets.
 - Animated armors have been moved to cavern 3.
 - Weapon runes no longer work on other dwarves. (it caused accidents while sparring with your insta-kill hammer for example)
 - Added leather leggings back in. Civilian dwarves were claiming all the leather trousers that were made for the military.

EDIT: Mh... last idea for now: Morphlings/Changelings could also get a reaction to transform into any creature... so you buy a changeling, run a reaction "transform changeling into creature X"... setting that up wouldnt be too hard. Think of the colosseum, just for friendly pets instead of monsters.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:34:51 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: April 28, 2013, 12:34:03 am »

Not sure if he was kidding, but once I saw someone claiming he was changing the raws so chickens lay live bees.  Is something similar possible with a larger creature?  Or you could just make them lay eggs once in a long while and have them hatch almost immediately...that would limit the numbers issue.  If only I had ANY idea what I was talking about, heh.  If the person is still active I believe I found it on the What's going on in your fort? thread, so you can search for "live bees" and bug him.  Though I assume you already know how to do that if you were the one who made the genie...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: April 28, 2013, 12:40:37 am »

Not sure if he was kidding, but once I saw someone claiming he was changing the raws so chickens lay live bees.  Is something similar possible with a larger creature?  Or you could just make them lay eggs once in a long while and have them hatch almost immediately...that would limit the numbers issue.  If only I had ANY idea what I was talking about, heh.  If the person is still active I believe I found it on the What's going on in your fort? thread, so you can search for "live bees" and bug him.  Though I assume you already know how to do that if you were the one who made the genie...

You can make any creature lay "live" bees.

I say live because they're kinda voodoo zombie bees, not really doing anything at all.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: April 28, 2013, 01:21:16 am »

@meph - very interesting on the creature spawning system! is the only way to get soulgems via trade?

i think the new mithril system is awesome.

the braziers/flags/banners/carpets are also nifty =D the top left carpet looks the most... carpety!

and why wouldn't legionairs get a boost to shield and armor user? they need that! what's the point of having separate defensive guards and offensive but vulnerable melee legionaries?

also, with respect to ranks, what exactly is the progression you're using? i would suggest sergeant, lieutenant, captain, commander... you only need four levels, right?

great work man =)
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: April 28, 2013, 01:36:36 am »

How about this: Guard and Legionaire dwaves get different weapon bonuses. Guards could have things like spears and swords(defensive weaponry) while legionaires get things like hammer and axe (more offensive weapons).

fire1666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: April 28, 2013, 03:25:13 am »

I really like your ideas gamer, i think those will be good aditions also i have layed out my plan for production, monday - friday i work sat / sunday play other stuff else ill get bored and quit work on the mod. anways i think the ideas you have posted are very good.
i think we'll beusing the ironbone and bloodsteel for teir 2-3, i has plans for teir 4 >:-3
lets say its going to make steel look like paper, but its going to make you rage just to aquire it.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: April 28, 2013, 04:35:23 am »

Heh, cool. But what did you think of the 'combine shades and undead' thing?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11139 on: April 28, 2013, 07:16:01 am »

Gamerlord/Fire1666: Guys, I am saying now for the fourth time: If you want to discuss a mod you are writing, please open your own thread for it. Everyone will benefit from it.

Firehwark: Nope. See text below.

Sayke: Because it finally makes a difference in who you assign to which squad. Thats the point. Every other class based system in any other RPG or RTS works like that. Do I build a stalker, that I need to micro away, or do I make zealots? Should I rather make a group of fast, unarmed (and therefore cheap) wrestlers (zerglings) or do I rather wait till I can produce good armor and weapons? I mean its not that they dont learn the other skills, its just that they have 100% in those, not 200%. You will see ingame. The first few fights the classes have next to no difference, but once you start gathering exp. the squads will show a difference. Legionnaires are high-risk/high-reward, killing things quickly, but might get injured, while guards can fight a lot longer, but also need longer to kill things. And the wrestlers with their high agility and less weight can chase down fleeing enemies.

b_knight: Yes, I know about the bees... Oh god, not the bees... the bees... aaahhh... anyway, no that wont work.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: April 28, 2013, 11:12:17 am »

I know this is a horribly dumb question, but I am new to mods. I am actually pretty new to DF, despite my reg date. I have given it up in frustration a few times.

I downloaded MW and extracted the filed to a folder on my desktop. How do I use it? I don't see an .exe or anything. do I need to extract it to a directory in my DF folder somewhere?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11142 on: April 28, 2013, 11:23:01 am »

@the dregs: You just extract it. It comes pre-installed. You will have a "Masterwork Dwarf Fortress V.2i" folder on your desktop, correct? Inside you will find a manual.html, a settings.exe for configuration if so desired, and a folder called "Dwarf Fortress". You can just run the .exe in there like usual. I advise having a look at the manual first.

@ALL: The spawning system rewrite turned out to be easier then expected. I am already done.

New spawning system
 - Three new creature. Sprites, Changelings and Toolkits.
 - These creatures can be bought at embark and from caravans for 1 urist.
 - Pasture those creatures on a workshop to transform them into a new construct.
 - Sprites animate objects, and are needed for scarecrows, gargoyle statues, decoys and guardians.
 - Changelings transform into monsters, and are needed for the colosseum.
 - Toolkits transform into constructs, and are needed for turrets and landmines in the machine factory.
 - Scarecrows are now directly spawned in the thatchery.
 - Gargoyle statues are now directly spawned in the dark church.
 - Decoys are now directly spawned in the Rockforge.
 - Guardians of Armok are now directly spawned in the temple.
 - Turrets and Landmines are now directly spawned in the machine factory.
 - Sprites and Changelings do breed, so you can make more of them.
 - Toolkits do not breed. It would nice to create more of them, but I really couldnt find an explanation for multiplying tools.
 - You no longer need a "caged monster" tool for the colosseum. Just the changeling, thats it.

- Golem from the caravans are now delivered "inactive" They will not move, but they will defend themselves if threatened.
 - Bring an inactive golem to the golem forge to activate it.
 - Migrants will no longer bring golem pets.
 - This has been done for balancing reasons. You can still buy golem and build a static defense, but no longer get free golems from migrants.

Why was this done? The spawning interactions in the previous versions were very bugged. They also only created "friendly" creatures that you could not control. They also lead to horrible accidents if a graveyard was near. Dont ask.

The new way has following advantages:
 - Works 100% of the time.
 - Easier to control.
 - Spawns directly in the workshop, one step less.
 - New creatures count as pets, can be moved at will.
 - Or even destroyed at will, by butchering them.

But wont this kill the FPS? some might ask. Usually the more creatures you have, the slower your fortress is running. This is because every creature has a pathfinding algorithm attached, and they calculate where to go. This is not the

case with these 3 new pets, because they have the immobile tag. I embarked with 100 each (300 total) and ran at constant 150FPS. Of course they do affect FPS in some way, but way less then normal pets.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:27:48 am by Meph »

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: April 28, 2013, 11:29:05 am »

Dang! It extracted to 2 different folders on separate parts of my desktop. That's what through me off. Thanks!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11144 on: April 28, 2013, 01:23:57 pm »

Dregs: Good to hear. Guess you had the manuals and settings just lying on the desktop as well.

@ALL: Made new profession sprites, to fit with the new labors I added. Most of them already existed, in the not-so-much used Phoebus dwarven nobles.

Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 749