Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 724844 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10350 on: December 12, 2012, 06:41:52 pm »

It did not directly cause the crisis, but it basically made the whole system more unstable, making the crisis possible in the first place.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: December 12, 2012, 06:51:02 pm »

Repealing a regulation cannot directly cause anything, but it can allow things to happen that would've been impossible otherwise (at least legally).

Potentially important distinction.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:55 pm »

Yeah. Basically, it shifted the balance of everything in a way that made some bad business decisions go from having a small effect to having a very large effect.

Kind of like removing a levee can cause a business to fail. It's not directly responsible, but it allows various events to unfold that wouldn't had the levee been left in place.

To elaborate on this hypothetical example: With the levee gone you get Flooding of the business. This caused repair costs and lost revenue while the building was being restored. Despite the help of Insurance to cover the actual repair costs, the loss of revenue and traffic of customers causes the business to fail. The flooding was perhaps only the straw that broke the camel's back, but if the flood had never happened the business wouldn't have closed.

It's kind of like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: December 12, 2012, 08:07:11 pm »

Even at it's core, though, it's the fact that the government allows the corps to play a sort of "manipulate the system" game, where they don't have to cover their asses because they can externalize all the losses.

I think, economically, the best sort of regulation is the type that internalizes those losses, so people can't game the system by pushing the risk off onto someone else - more regulation (and better, current stuff is often all to easy to avoid) of that sort would have held those who gambled and lost responsible for the loss, and would have gone a long way towards preventing them from making ultimately unsustainable bets to begin with.

The big players here, the ones who were really responsible, almost all knew they were going to lose, and lose big, eventually - they were just absolutely sure they wouldn't have to deal with the fallout, and their immediate profits would more than offset any minor portion of the cost they might have to actually deal with. And if they didn't, hell, it's not like the government could let them fail, right? It would blow up the economy!

A classic "Heads I win, Tails you lose" sort of situation. And regulation could have prevented it. (As always, the difficult part of regulation is preventing THAT while still allowing the bits that are actually productive and good for the economy)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: December 12, 2012, 08:10:52 pm »

Repealing a regulation cannot directly cause anything, but it can allow things to happen that would've been impossible otherwise (at least legally).

Potentially important distinction.

Things like what?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: December 12, 2012, 08:21:31 pm »

Things like... well, if you have a regulation against dumping toxic waste into a river, it is thus prevented from happening (at least legally).

If you want me to explain how repealing Glass Steagal allowed the crisis, I'll have to pass that question on to someone else, as I don't have the expertise or knowledge to do so. You'll note I've made no specific claims about that issue, just made a clarification concerning cause and allowance.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »

Example, I legalize murder. Havign done that, I'm not directly telling anyone "hey, go murder", but The the lack of restrictions is going to massively increase the number of murders.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: December 12, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »

No no, Glass Steagal itself.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: December 12, 2012, 08:34:58 pm »

That's rather uncertain. Nobody can agree on whether the restrictions would have slowed the crash, accelerated it, or had already ceased to exist at the time of repeal.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10359 on: December 12, 2012, 08:38:08 pm »

It prevented the conflict of interest between banking and brokering that caused the system to collapse.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: December 12, 2012, 08:40:50 pm »

In theory. Many pundits have argued for years that it no longer did so.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: December 12, 2012, 08:47:03 pm »

In theory. Many pundits have argued for years that it no longer did so.

pundits with agenda's.

Glass-Steagal was created in response to the lending and securities fraud that was largely responsible for crashing the US economy at the time. While it held, there were no such society shaking economic crisis's stemming from that cause. In the decade after it was repealed, the exact same kinds lending and securities games were played leading up to and the recession. It is extremely clear cut.

Its not impossible for something else to have happened to cause a recession, but this one was a repeat of history.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22:32 pm »

No no, Glass Steagal itself.

Why on earth would someone try to explain something that complex to you?  You would just take potshots at it and then act all smug because you "disproved" it.  It would be like trying to explain the finer points of the Climate Research Unit findings at East Anglia to a climate change skeptic.  You want an explanation?  Tough crap.  Your previous behavior means that nobody is going to waste their time on you.  We are under no obligation to offer you material to flame.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:07 pm »

It prevented the conflict of interest between banking and brokering that caused the system to collapse.

How did it cause the system to collapse?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: December 13, 2012, 01:26:16 am »

How did it cause the system to collapse?

Were you not paying attention while this whole thing was in the news? Go google the damn the thing.

Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 714