Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720109 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2040 on: February 16, 2012, 03:27:34 pm »

The wind is very rinsing today.

I for one think we need to clear the air, get rid of all the old luggage.

Maybe we should take the time to go pick a flower or two?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: February 16, 2012, 05:12:41 pm »

And lastly, big donor behind Santorum's SuperPAC comments,
“You know, back in my days, they used bare aspirin for contraception. The gals put it between their knees, and it wasn’t that costly.”

That's not the Onion. That's an honest-to-gods quote.

Even more astounding was that he said that on live television straight to Andrea Mitchell, one of the most important female figures in modern journalism.  Really, the whole thing was absolutely stupefying to watch.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: February 16, 2012, 05:24:29 pm »

Being associated with NC State, I'm familiar with the type -- rich good ol' boys who think it's still 1952, and they can get away with telling seriously off-color jokes, because all their fellow good ol' boy buddies still laugh at them.

State has way too many of that type as alumni and donors.  :-\

Doubt it'll hurt Santorum all that much directly. He can easily sidestep the quote and just blow it off as "Oh, that's just Foster being Foster..."

Although I did like one of the Facebook comments attached to the story:
Wow. An aspirin between the knees. I think one of my kids was conceived while my wife's knees were together. There's more in life than the missionary position, old dude.
  :P  :P  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: February 16, 2012, 08:13:56 pm »

Isn't it ironic that a religion that makes people uncomfortable about discussing sex results in far more public discussion of specific sexual practices then in other countries?  When was the last time that you heard about a secular discussion of say, the mechanics of sodomy in a countries parliment?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: February 17, 2012, 05:41:07 am »

Isn't it ironic that a religion that makes people uncomfortable about discussing sex results in far more public discussion of specific sexual practices then in other countries?  When was the last time that you heard about a secular discussion of say, the mechanics of sodomy in a countries parliment?

I dunno, I imagine they still do have secular discussions on it in European parliaments to determine if such things might be too much for day time broadcast television and TV news programs or street art festivals and the sort. I doubt it's quite the public policy crisis it degenerates into in American politics, though.

But yeah, it occurred to me today that the same religion that believes modern medicine is unethically cheating death believes the Earth can support an unlimited number of human beings. So, yeah, let's ban contraceptives and medicine and we can all have 45 year long life spans and 12 children per family. That'd save Social Sociey and medicare.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: February 17, 2012, 05:11:23 pm »

Wow, it's been all day and no posts in this thread. So have some poll numbers! They're free, and they're a part of your daily balanced diet!

National:
Gallup has Santorum at +4 over Romney, well below Rasmussen's +12 hard-on for Slick Rick, but still a troubling sign for Team Romney.

Arizona:
Rasmussen has Romney at a mere +8 over Santorum, two weeks after they had Romney at +24. I'm not sure if Rasmussen has an inherent pro-Santorum bias, or just a pro-frontrunner bias. I'd love to see Nate Silver take that one apart.

General Election:
Rasmussen's most recent Obama vs. X polls show that it probably doesn't really matter. Against Romney or Santorum, Big O wins by 6 points. Stick Gingrich in there, and he wins by double digits. The GOP are derping themselves into the political graveyard in this election.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: February 17, 2012, 05:16:37 pm »

My prediction: Santorum wins primaries, Romney is his VP, and all hell breaks loose.

Note, none of this is at all possible, plausible, or in the realm of reality. In fact, Gingrich becomes his Secretary of State just because.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE. I GUESS.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: February 17, 2012, 09:46:30 pm »

One of my favorite comments on that article about [EXPLETIVE DELETED]'s trip to Tacoma.

Quote from: schallup
Rick Santorum was here to give a speech? I thought he was just here to protest the Powell boys' funeral.

So... Newt Gingrich is basically dead everywhere, right? I can't see a comeback anytime soon, but he could throw a wrench into things with another South Carolina.

* Barbarossa TSG crosses his fingers.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: February 18, 2012, 12:20:09 am »

One of my favorite comments on that article about [EXPLETIVE DELETED]'s trip to Tacoma.

Quote from: schallup
Rick Santorum was here to give a speech? I thought he was just here to protest the Powell boys' funeral.

So... Newt Gingrich is basically dead everywhere, right? I can't see a comeback anytime soon, but he could throw a wrench into things with another South Carolina.

* Barbarossa TSG crosses his fingers.

He still has a decent shot to win Georgia. Was still leading in the polls down there at last check, but they're a bit dated. Santorum was surging up on him though.

The next big thing will be 2/28, when Arizona and Michigan go. Michigan's slightly leaning Santorum at this point. Romney still has a lead in Arizona, but that lead appears to slip by the day. If Santorum takes both states, then goes on to take Ohio and Georgia a few days later, I think he becomes a goddamn freight train, and the GOP establishment's collective shit hits the fan. Super Tuesday could be an absolute bloodbath, even though Romney might still be leading in delegates going into it. People aren't necessarily keying into the whole "lots of proportional primaries this cycle", and if they just see "Santorum wins", then they're liable to think he got the whole bag of marbles.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: February 18, 2012, 12:23:58 am »

It's really a waste of time now. The major GOP candidates seem to be trying to do their best to alienate everyone who isn't a die-hard far-right conservative, and that doesn't get you anywhere in US politics. You have to play to the middle to win anything.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: February 18, 2012, 12:47:53 am »

From what I've been reading here, it seems we are witnessing the implosion of the GOP.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, but I somehow doubt it.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: February 18, 2012, 12:48:26 am »

He still has a decent shot to win Georgia. Was still leading in the polls down there at last check, but they're a bit dated. Santorum was surging up on him though.
Well, hope he brings deodorant or something. That'll get messy.

I really want to see Ron Paul suddenly smack Santorum down and win a couple states. Just a couple, though. May as well give every single Republican candidate a chance to lead for a little bit and share in the wealth. (Or rather, get ad-blitzed by it.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: February 18, 2012, 02:59:50 am »

From what I've been reading here, it seems we are witnessing the implosion of the GOP.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, but I somehow doubt it.

The GOP imploded during Bush's second term. 

Doesn't matter who wins the election, America is screwed because the majority of career politicians who are in place to actually put a stop to this thing would rather play politics and vote pander to an ever increasing class of "poor" people. 

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: February 18, 2012, 11:40:59 am »

How does the GOP platform of tax hikes on the poor and middle class and tax cuts on the wealthy pander to the poor?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: February 18, 2012, 11:44:25 am »

How does the GOP platform of tax hikes on the poor and middle class and tax cuts on the wealthy pander to the poor?

It panders to the poor in the sense that they inexplicably get the poor to believe it's good for them.

The fact that NinjaBoot used "poor", with scare quotes, is a little concerning.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 714