Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720853 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #870 on: January 13, 2012, 10:54:30 am »

South Carolina accepts write in votes in their primary, don't they?

The thing is, he's CURRENTLY a write in candidate in the polls and he's still at 5% among legitimately likely REPUBLICAN voters. That's higher than Hunstman, who was actually offered as an option to those polled.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #871 on: January 13, 2012, 10:55:48 am »

I would vote for Colbert.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 13, 2012, 10:59:02 am »

As would I.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 13, 2012, 11:34:51 am »

Oh...yeah, I guess write-in is always an option. Wow...that's going to be awesomesad if he actually beats out Huntsman (and at 5%, could beat Rick Perry) as a write-in. It would be the epitome of awesome if he actually got enough to earn a pledged delegate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #874 on: January 13, 2012, 01:35:31 pm »

Sometimes I wonder if our universe isn't an absurd satirical fiction making fun of some other universes political buffoonery.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gingrich-hits-romney-knowing-speak-french-150300235.html

Basically Gingrich is launching attack ads against Romney because he once went to France as a missionary (it was how Romney dodged the draft) and he is just like liberal democrat John Kerry because they both speak french.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:39:30 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 13, 2012, 01:45:18 pm »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we are living in some Tom Tomorrowesque world of insanity.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 13, 2012, 02:17:40 pm »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we are living in some Tom Tomorrowesque world of insanity.

A man with a boot on his head whos main polices are mandatory tooth brushing laws and free ponies for everyone, and a popular comedic entertainer are running in an election of one of the most powerful countries on the planet. And they're probably the most normal candidates all things considered. So yeah, the world is pretty insane.
Blargh.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 13, 2012, 02:18:47 pm »

Sometimes I wonder if our universe isn't an absurd satirical fiction making fun of some other universes political buffoonery.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gingrich-hits-romney-knowing-speak-french-150300235.html

Basically Gingrich is launching attack ads against Romney because he once went to France as a missionary (it was how Romney dodged the draft) and he is just like liberal democrat John Kerry because they both speak french.

I like how the ad, in a complete non sequitur, states at the end that "a Massachusetts moderate cannot beat Barack Obama". It switches straight from "Mitt Romney isn't conservative enough" to "Mitt Romney isn't a viable candidate" completely out of nowhere.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 13, 2012, 02:21:50 pm »

I'm telling you, this is exactly why we should re-legalize dueling among politicians. Andrew Jackson would not be standing for any of this.

Of course, he was also kind of a homicidal lunatic. But he was the homicidal lunatic America needed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 13, 2012, 02:31:26 pm »

Rick Perry will one-up this ad by accusing Romney of speaking English. >_<

Jeez, first the "Manchurian Candidate" thing, now "The French Connection". Way to be proud we're a country full of people too parochial to learn a second language, guys.

I like how the ad, in a complete non sequitur, states at the end that "a Massachusetts moderate cannot beat Barack Obama". It switches straight from "Mitt Romney isn't conservative enough" to "Mitt Romney isn't a viable candidate" completely out of nowhere.
No, that's a logical flow from A to B for the folks making that ad. Romney can't beat Obama BECAUSE he's not conservative enough. Because they think that secretly the REAL American people are just like them. That or they think he won't be conservative to win God's vote, and of course that's all that really counts because God will then make everyone vote for him. Damn vote-rigging Jehovah.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 13, 2012, 02:53:57 pm »

Yeah, you really couldn't write a more hamfisted ad if you tried.  Like, third-grade reading comprehension hamfisted.  But I was wondering how long it would take before someone figured out the glaring similarities between Romney and John Kerry (other than Jon Stewart's writers, four years ago).  Gingrich is definitely pulling out all the stops to destroy Romney any way he can, with clearly either no regard for who is the eventual nominee or a deluded hope that it'll still somehow be himself.

I can't say I'm surprised by the level of puerile, chest-beating worship at the alter of Hank Hill, but I didn't really expect it to start this soon, and to be introduced by the Republican nominees competing against each other.  Let alone that it would spark off a tectonic war between conservative "thinkers" like Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin over the merits of populist economic rhetoric (or at least as a screen for Romney-vs-Anti-Romney factions).
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 13, 2012, 02:55:35 pm »

I feel like Newt is doing this out of pride. Romney went pretty vicious on him with a ton of untraceable ads, and Newt isn't going to stand for that.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 13, 2012, 03:01:48 pm »

The first ~38 seconds of that video actually made him sound better to me >.>
It is somewhat worrying that the political spectrum is so polarized that half of one side's insults are half of the other side's compliments.
Soaplent green is goblins!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 13, 2012, 03:10:11 pm »

You'll know we've passed the point of no return when you hear an ad like "John Jackson doesn't eat the bodies of his slain enemies. John Jackson: too liberal for America."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 13, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »

Rick Perry will one-up this ad by accusing Romney of speaking English. >_<
No, see, he understands that English is the One True Language. He'll accuse him of speaking British.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 714