Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717505 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2220 on: February 21, 2012, 01:06:45 am »

1. At least with FAFSA and Washington State Need Grants, if you don't graduate, your interest rate goes quite a bit higher and you have to pay everything. That's incentive for people to actually get degrees.

2. I have not yet met an unemployed Occupier that was not a student. (Except for a homeless guy, but he technically makes a living carving scrimshaw and selling it at the farmer's market.) I may be in a smallish town, but we're not all jobless layabouts, you know!

3. If the people are too educated, they need to put their education to use. Want to be a psychologist? Make your own job, if you can't find one! Or you know, plan properly. I for one am going for a math/physics/compsci degree. (Major/minor/major.) The state is giving me extra funding for this because those are practical, needed degrees. There are no equivalents for history majors. (Not knocking on history majors, I love the topic, but we need math people!)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: February 21, 2012, 01:09:08 am »

I thought that FAFSA was essentially free money, so long as it went towards education. Did that change or something?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: February 21, 2012, 01:09:45 am »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 21, 2012, 01:12:01 am »

Want to be a psychologist? Make your own job, if you can't find one!
Step 1: Make people crazy.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 21, 2012, 01:12:32 am »

That's the job of the masked dude hiding under your chair.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: February 21, 2012, 01:13:05 am »

Unless you goto school for a hard skill like doctor or lawyer, then you will have a hard time finding work that will give you the ability to pay off your debt in a reasonable amount of time.

Actually, even the law grads were struggling with finding a job.

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: February 21, 2012, 01:13:34 am »

@Sirus
I already beat him up and assumed his identity.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: February 21, 2012, 01:14:21 am »

No no, the other masked dude. This one is invisible and intangible.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: February 21, 2012, 01:18:13 am »

Unless you goto school for a hard skill like doctor or lawyer, then you will have a hard time finding work that will give you the ability to pay off your debt in a reasonable amount of time.

Actually, even the law grads were struggling with finding a job.

I wonder what is going to happen to the current crop of students when they have to compete with those who are currently without a job.  It is going to be even worse if the current economic climate in America does not improve.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: February 21, 2012, 01:19:13 am »

I thought that FAFSA was essentially free money, so long as it went towards education.
Exactly. Drop out of school midyear and you have to pay it back.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: February 21, 2012, 01:28:19 am »

I thought that FAFSA was essentially free money, so long as it went towards education.
Exactly. Drop out of school midyear and you have to pay it back.
So why are you talking about interest rates? Stay in school, and you pay nothing back, which is like negative interest.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:18 am »

Ah, I forgot to list Stafford Loans at the beginning of that post. Those are really low-interest loans that only remain low-interest until you leave school. If you earn a degree, the interest rate is a bit below average. If you drop out, it's higher.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: February 21, 2012, 01:32:41 am »

Wait, wait, wait. I appear to have been doing something wrong this whole time. FAFSA is just a form required to quantify your eligibility for actual aid from other sources, is it not? All I ever got out of it was the ability to apply for loans (the Stafford ones being what I wound up with).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: February 21, 2012, 01:33:25 am »

2. I have not yet met an unemployed Occupier that was not a student. (Except for a homeless guy, but he technically makes a living carving scrimshaw and selling it at the farmer's market.) I may be in a smallish town, but we're not all jobless layabouts, you know!

Berserkly students would like to have a word with you.

3. If the people are too educated, they need to put their education to use.

That is easy for you too say, it is harder to understand when there is absolutely no job prospects in the place you live.  It is hard enough to move, but it is even harder when you have loans that need to be paid back, find a job, new place, while surviving and enjoying yourself, if you can. 

If you are saying these people are not trying to find work, then it is either because there is no job prospects or school did a very bad job at preparing them for actual life. 

Want to be a psychologist? Make your own job, if you can't find one!Or you know, plan properly.

If it was so easy then everybody would be self employed, rich and successful.  Plan properly?  Kind of hard to do when you are being pressured be your friends/parents/teachers to goto school and get an education. 

I for one am going for a math/physics/compsci degree. (Major/minor/major.) The state is giving me extra funding for this because those are practical, needed degrees.

If only everybody shared your desire and work ethic, things would be so much easier! 

There are no equivalents for history majors. (Not knocking on history majors, I love the topic, but we need math people!)

Of course not, but do you think those who are teaching those classes are going to enlighten you or possible students to what kind of job prospects they may or may not have in that field (or any other sociology field)?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: February 21, 2012, 01:36:34 am »

Wait, wait, wait. I appear to have been doing something wrong this whole time. FAFSA is just a form required to quantify your eligibility for actual aid from other sources, is it not? All I ever got out of it was the ability to apply for loans (the Stafford ones being what I wound up with).
No, FAFSA can qualify you for genuine scholarship money; the kind you don't have to pay back, direct from the government. Not everyone can qualify however. I'm apparently just middle-class enough to fall outside their guidelines, though my family could certainly use the extra help.

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 714