Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717339 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2940 on: March 23, 2012, 03:02:14 pm »

It's fascinating that you actually have to have been born in the USA or have an American parent of some description to become President of the US. It sort of goes against the whole American Dream idea, doesn't it? Anyone can "make it" right the way to the top in the USA if they work hard, unless you're an immigrant. Isn't wanting to be American and to serve the country good enough?

I'm also not very clear on American "something-vote" terminology like the Voodoo Vote or the Zombie Vote and so on. I've been reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail though, so is the "freak vote" going to Ron Paul?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »

Well, I certainly understand why the voting population is so low in the US; everybody's so out-tired of all the politicsing so when the actual election comes around nobody has any will left. Obama's going to have an easy win if only because his base isn't completely depleted and demoralized yet.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: March 23, 2012, 03:07:11 pm »

I've been reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail though, so is the "freak vote" going to Ron Paul?

He only wishes.

It sort of goes against the whole American Dream idea, doesn't it? Anyone can "make it" right the way to the top in the USA if they work hard, unless you're an immigrant. Isn't wanting to be American and to serve the country good enough?

The theory is that a Generation Zero immigrant still retains strong emotional and patriotic ties to their homeland, that naturalization doesn't eliminate. Therefore they have the potential for a conflict of interest between what's best for the US vs. what's best for their country of origin.

For example, what would a former Iraqi president's foreign policy be toward their country of origin? They might give it too much aid, not enough aid....for reasons that could be driven by something other than prudent policy.

That's the theory, at any rate.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:10:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: March 23, 2012, 03:07:42 pm »

To what extent are the Republicans starting to realize that their liberal Muslim enemy is probably going to win in November?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: March 23, 2012, 03:09:30 pm »

I'm also not very clear on American "something-vote" terminology like the Voodoo Vote or the Zombie Vote and so on. I've been reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail though, so is the "freak vote" going to Ron Paul?

Well, the "Voodoo Vote" was just me coming up with lame alliterative phrases to describe an election in Louisiana. The "zombie vote" was a tongue-in-cheek reference to Aqizzar's reference to William F. Buckley criticizing Romney (Buckley died in 2008), suggesting that because of that "Zombie-Americans" would be swayed away.

But yeah, you'll see a lot of references to the youth vote, the soccer mom vote, the Hispanic vote, the black vote, etc. as if every demographic voted as monolithic entities.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: March 23, 2012, 03:13:57 pm »

The presidential naturalized citizen rule was basically created for the same reason as the separation of church and state rule - to avoid divided loyalties to foreign powers.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: March 23, 2012, 03:29:29 pm »

Well, the "Voodoo Vote" was just me coming up with lame alliterative phrases to describe an election in Louisiana. The "zombie vote" was a tongue-in-cheek reference to Aqizzar's reference to William F. Buckley criticizing Romney (Buckley died in 2008), suggesting that because of that "Zombie-Americans" would be swayed away.

Dammit, I was talking about William F. Buckley Junior, y'know the guy who took up his father's commentator mantel.  I didn't think it'd be necessary to distinguish him from the dead one.

Waitaminute, the dead one is Junior... Okay, I know goddamn well he has a son who's also political commentator, I didn't just drop in from the twilight zone here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:31:02 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: March 23, 2012, 03:42:41 pm »

Dammit, I was talking about William F. Buckley Junior, y'know the guy who took up his father's commentator mantel.  I didn't think it'd be necessary to distinguish him from the dead one.

Waitaminute, the dead one is Junior... Okay, I know goddamn well he has a son who's also political commentator, I didn't just drop in from the twilight zone here.
It's Buckleys all the way down.  :P

He did have one son, Christopher Buckley, who's an author and satirist, but he infamously penned an op-ed in 2008 stating that he was voting for Obama, and subsequently resigned from the National Review and was more or less excommunicated by the Right.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: March 23, 2012, 11:05:39 pm »

I looked up Christopher Buckley and decided he's a dick. Writes witty satire but he talks out his arse and is a bit ignorant and racist.

Called the Chinese mere brainless copiers because they built a stealth fighter the J-20. He said in the article they copied it from crashed pieces of an F-117 (which i found after some research, was a rumor which was going around). He also claimed no Chinese had ever won a Nobel Prize, which is patently false.

Spoiler: Plane Pictures (click to show/hide)

Just goes to show that old line about how asians can "only copy" the more creative and superior whites won't die any time soon.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:26:29 pm by Reelya »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: March 24, 2012, 02:27:12 am »

I like to think of it as 'improvement'.  Take your idea and make it better for me.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: March 24, 2012, 03:41:19 am »

I looked up Christopher Buckley and decided he's a dick. Writes witty satire but he talks out his arse and is a bit ignorant and racist.

Called the Chinese mere brainless copiers because they built a stealth fighter the J-20. He said in the article they copied it from crashed pieces of an F-117 (which i found after some research, was a rumor which was going around). He also claimed no Chinese had ever won a Nobel Prize, which is patently false.

Spoiler: Plane Pictures (click to show/hide)

Just goes to show that old line about how asians can "only copy" the more creative and superior whites won't die any time soon.
To bad the engines are russian made, because the chinese ones are so shoddy they get about 30-hours of flight time out of them.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: March 24, 2012, 08:35:20 am »

Let me just add a little interprimary levity here with Scumbag Santorum. (Yes, I know that Louisiana is up today, but it's almost a foregone conclusion.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: March 24, 2012, 09:51:10 am »

To bad the engines are russian made, because the chinese ones are so shoddy they get about 30-hours of flight time out of them.

No different to Boeing using Rolls Royce engines. I think racism is similar to sexism in that another race is mocked for doing things that ones own country does already.

And for the "copying" thing. Technology isn't at the "race" level, it's at the "person" level, but people act like they, personally, invented everything their "race" (or country, etc) invented (and usually 99% of that was cultural imports to start with). Let's list things Christopher Buckley has personally invented :-

Yet he mocks aviation engineers in China who are coming up with perfectly servicable supersonic jet fighter designs. I'm sure those engineers are a damn sight smarter than he is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:55:09 am by Reelya »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: March 24, 2012, 11:36:49 am »

Read that as "I'm sure those engines are a damn sight smarter than he is."

Still might work. Not exactly a dig at the guy so much as a joke about how complex modern engineering gets, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2954 on: March 24, 2012, 06:53:12 pm »

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 714