Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717428 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4020 on: July 12, 2012, 05:55:44 pm »

Saying Arabs and climate scientists are evil but Israel and oil companies can't be criticized while having your show funded by wealthy jewish business leaders and big oil would seem to speak for itself.

The guy even speaks adverts himself for his sponsors, he's a fraud.

Note: he's on video attacking the "Media Matters" watchdog site which criticizes Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck etc, but no similar critique of any right-wing "watchdog" site like aim.org which label you "biased media" for not agreeing with them that Obama is a Marxist.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:35:33 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: July 12, 2012, 07:02:27 pm »

To be clear, I was calling them "antisemitic", since Arabs are Semites. Just wanted to make sure you didn't misunderstand me.
Love, scriver~

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: July 13, 2012, 11:53:48 am »

I don't have anything against the Jewish people. That said it sounds like wealthy individuals of Jewish descent are using this guy to manipulate people to their own goals. That said they are welcome to try I suppose until the government as a whole pulls it's head out it's ass and passes a law that supports journalistic integrity that it can enforce without undermining free speech. Though that makes me think of Yahoo news stories and the way it always seems to give a counter argument against whatever point the article might have made so they don't get sued or damage the companies reputation with a segment of the population.

Maybe journalists shouldn't be paid to spew forth a political ideology but instead to be journalists.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:00:24 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: July 13, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »

Saying wealthy Jewish businessmen are "donating" to a journalist through money to get him to support them and Israel is, to me, no more weird/racist than saying wealthy French businessmen are "donating" to a journalist through money to get him to support them and France. Just that Jews and Israel are kind of sensitive subjects in that regard.

It's when you get into "Jews are in every level of business and Zionists control Washington! The NWO is coming!" that you get into... weirdness.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: July 13, 2012, 04:02:39 pm »

And if what the French businessmen were supporting heavily pushed a French agenda?

Honestly it doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. It's not some "Jewish conspiracy," but a bunch of rich dudes with reason to have a political agenda supporting someone who supports that agenda.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: July 13, 2012, 04:11:27 pm »

That was my point, Kaijyuu. ;P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #4026 on: July 13, 2012, 04:15:19 pm »

until the government as a whole pulls it's head out it's ass and passes a law that supports journalistic integrity that it can enforce without undermining free speech.
Why on earth would the government destroy its most effective venue of propaganda?

Mass Media is there to create a false sense of legitimacy on whatever it is anonymous government officials in the know want to spread.

Ad it's a perfect system because if you challenge the government, then there's no more exclusives for you, buddy.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: July 13, 2012, 06:31:11 pm »

Why on earth would the government destroy its most effective venue of propaganda?

Because "the government" is made up of a bunch of people elected in something resembling a popular election?  There isn't a man behind the curtain, they do it all in plain sight.  Elected officials seldom lie because they can so often tell the truth without anyone giving a shit.  And "the government" will go on just fine whether the elected officials are doing bad shit or not.  You could make every journalist have the morals of a saint and the character of a buddha and that wouldn't upset "the government" effort at all.  "The government" did just fine when Nixon was impeached and did just fine when Obama escalated the drone strikes.  "The government" doesn't need propaganda, only something with an agenda needs an ideology.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: July 13, 2012, 08:42:50 pm »

Because "the government" is made up of a bunch of people elected in something resembling a popular election?  There isn't a man behind the curtain, they do it all in plain sight.  Elected officials seldom lie because they can so often tell the truth without anyone giving a shit.  And "the government" will go on just fine whether the elected officials are doing bad shit or not.  You could make every journalist have the morals of a saint and the character of a buddha and that wouldn't upset "the government" effort at all.  "The government" did just fine when Nixon was impeached and did just fine when Obama escalated the drone strikes.  "The government" doesn't need propaganda, only something with an agenda needs an ideology.

Are you really trying to say that there isn't a PR machine in action?  I would contest you on that one.

Otherwise, you're right.  They don't lie.  They obfuscate.  For example:  defining any military-age male in a strike zone as a "combatant", even if nothing is known about them.  The media is complicit when they wholeheartedly adopt such language in their reporting without disclaimer as to the nature of their words, and that language has vast effect on public opinion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: July 13, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »

No that would be an example of a lie.  Hence "seldom" not never.  You need to keep in mind that for everything you read about in the papers that the government does there like 100 things you don't read about.  When they get caught on the lies the media think that's somehow more newsworthy then all the important stuff they've been telling the truth about that's bad.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #4030 on: July 14, 2012, 01:12:02 pm »

I can't really write (one hand right now :( ) but I really don't know how either of your posts responds or questions what SG or me said with consistency.

My point still stands.  The government, a body of humans with quite a deal of power, has no incentive to change the way the media works these days.  They already share some sort of symbiosis.

meh, too much effort to write few words.  I'll move back to reading again.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4031 on: July 14, 2012, 02:11:12 pm »

In the meantime, Obama has been attacking Romney's tenure at Bain over, and over, and over.

Romney wants Obama to apologize.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/romney-calls-obama-apologize-bain-attacks/story?id=16775732

Obama's response:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: more: http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/07/obama-wont-apologize-for-staff-on-bain-128788.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:16:27 pm by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: July 14, 2012, 02:14:11 pm »

Wait, seriously?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: July 14, 2012, 02:20:49 pm »

Obama's response:
So Barack remained silent?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: July 14, 2012, 02:37:49 pm »

Obama's response:
So Barack remained silent?
I can see it  ???
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 714