Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720721 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4050 on: July 18, 2012, 09:23:02 am »

Are you unaware that there are like 20 organizations that publish exactly what you are talking about?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: July 18, 2012, 09:26:11 am »

Arguing over word choice (of a very well made arguement otherwise) while the other candidate still tiptoes around his fraudulent finances and near-zero taxes?

I guess there's a bit of a gap in priority for some voters.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: July 18, 2012, 09:28:38 am »

Are you unaware that there are like 20 organizations that publish exactly what you are talking about?
For/from the major candidates?

Tangentally aware about stuff like that from other sources, though I haven't actually gotten around to looking for them. There's not enough give room for discourse in the area I'm in for me to be particularly vigorous regarding politics, bleh.

Still... suggestions? Resource like that sounds like something that might fit in the OP.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: July 18, 2012, 09:53:19 am »

Arguing over word choice (of a very well made arguement otherwise) while the other candidate still tiptoes around his fraudulent finances and near-zero taxes?

I guess there's a bit of a gap in priority for some voters.

I believe that to be a personal issue rather than a political one. Obama smoked pot when he was younger, but you don't seem to care about that. *shrugs*

I have a plethora of issues with both Obama and Romney, but I think both of them have some good ideas as well. Unfortunately, mixing ideas and making compromises seems to be impossible.

I guess the best way to put my current election view is this: I dislike both candidates, but I dislike Romney less. That's just how I feel about it.
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: July 18, 2012, 10:16:18 am »

There's a bit of a difference between smoking pot in the past, and currently having fraudulent finances, almost-no taxes, and refusing to publish your tax record, while you're trying to become the president of a nation that is in financial straits!

:I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: July 18, 2012, 10:18:03 am »

And frankly I say smoking the pot is a mark in Obama's favor.  More then half of 20-25 year olds will admit to having tried pot.  I'd much rather want someone like Obama in control of the justice department then someone who's been rich their whole life and has never feared the law.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: July 18, 2012, 10:35:23 am »

There's a bit of a difference between smoking pot in the past, and currently having fraudulent finances, almost-no taxes, and refusing to publish your tax record, while you're trying to become the president of a nation that is in financial straits!

This is true. But if he hasn't released his tax records, how do you know he pays almost no taxes? I would certainly like him to release his records but what he pays in taxes is not going to make or break the vote for me. The other issues will.

Oh and as far as tax rates goes, while I don't think it's fair that some of the wealthy do not pay as much in taxes, it isn't fair for them to pay more, either. I honestly never understand why a flat tax rate across all classes is considered a bad idea.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:39:25 am by The Mechanical Man »
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: July 18, 2012, 10:40:39 am »

This is true. But if he hasn't released his tax records, how do you know he pays almost no taxes? I would certainly like him to release his records but what he pays in taxes is not going to make or break the vote for me. The other issues will.

Are you talking about Romney? Because I think he has published some of his tax returns. Little to no tax? Not exactly, but I think Descan's meaning there is that he pay very little tax compared with the rest of the population which to some people his tax rate seems to support that.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: July 18, 2012, 10:47:33 am »

Oh and as far as tax rates goes, while I don't think it's fair that some of the wealthy do not pay as much in taxes, it isn't fair for them to pay more, either. I honestly never understand why a flat tax rate across all classes is considered a bad idea.

Because it would be a humanitarian nightmare.  This isn't some philosophy class where we debate in abstract whether those with more have a greater responsibility on them.  This is the real world where the huge gains the rich have had over the past three decades have come at the cost of stagnating income for the middle and increasing poverty for the poor.

But the rich apparently aren't mere mortals like you and me.  That's why Romney needs to disclose less about his income history to run for president of the US then my girlfriend disclosed when she started renting an apartment.  Rules are for the little people.

Are you talking about Romney? Because I think he has published some of his tax returns. Little to no tax? Not exactly, but I think Descan's meaning there is that he pay very little tax compared with the rest of the population which to some people his tax rate seems to support that.

He published two years.  As his father put it "One year could be a fluke, perhaps for show."  Two years is hardly better considering that the carryover from previous years (the ones he refuses to release) show things like large tax credit carryovers and a 401k storing amounts of tax free income that have experts scratching their head about the legality of.  He should release 12 years like his father did at least to show what his taxes looked like before he wanted to be president.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: July 18, 2012, 10:52:15 am »

Because 10 percent to a poor person is having to choose between electricity and food, and 10 percent to a rich person is having to choose between a yacht or caviar.

A bit of an exaggeration, yes, but the principle is sound.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: July 18, 2012, 10:54:32 am »

Imagine two people:

One spends 95% of their income on necessities. Food, etc.
One spends 10% of their income on necessities.

A 5% tax on both inconveniences one, and completely removes any fungible income for the other. No entertainment, no investing to improve their situation, nothing. Just day-to-day necessities.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: July 18, 2012, 10:58:01 am »

He has but not for the most recent year, I believe, which many people are still demanding as well as many years before.

And it was a low rate. And that is unfair. But this issue is not a priority for me. If he's breaking the law, then by all means get him out of the election. But otherwise it isn't important to me.

Because it would be a humanitarian nightmare.  This isn't some philosophy class where we debate in abstract whether those with more have a greater responsibility on them.  This is the real world where the huge gains the rich have had over the past three decades have come at the cost of stagnating income for the middle and increasing poverty for the poor.

But taxing the rich is not the best way to solve the problem. We should be fixing current problems and loopholes in the system rather than just raising taxes. And no matter what you do, there will always be a "1%". It's the result of a capitalistic system- there are going to be winners and there are going to be losers. Unfortunately it happens to be the best system we have right now. The focus should be on making the game fair to play and getting rid of the cheating.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:01:57 am by The Mechanical Man »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: July 18, 2012, 11:01:57 am »

That's impossible simply because it IS a capitalistic system. There's no "fair" in capitalism. At all. A basic tenet of it is needing capital to make capital; in order to invest, you need money. So those with money already are going to make more money, and those without... aren't.

You wanna level the playing field? Support redistribution of wealth. Support things that burden the wealthy for the benefit of all. With great power comes great responsibility... so don't let those in power shirk it because they think they can ignore the little poor people below them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:17 am »

That's impossible simply because it IS a capitalistic system. There's no "fair" in capitalism. At all. A basic tenet of it is needing capital to make capital; in order to invest, you need money. So those with money already are going to make more money, and those without... aren't.

You wanna level the playing field? Support redistribution of wealth. Support things that burden the wealthy for the benefit of all. With great power comes great responsibility... so don't let those in power shirk it because they think they can ignore the little poor people below them.

If I don't have enough money to make money, I take out a loan. Then when I start making a profit, I can pay off the loan. Or I get a loan and invest in another business, and if that business does well then I have enough money to pay off my loan plus plenty extra. Fundamentally and philosophically this is the answer, but of course in real life it is another thing entirely. But this is because the current lending system is broken.

We have many broken systems. If they were fixed, redistribution of the wealth wouldn't be necessary.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: July 18, 2012, 11:27:45 am »

We have many broken systems. If they were fixed, redistribution of the wealth wouldn't be necessary.

Because the systems, when working, redistribute the wealth by their very own selves.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 714