Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717532 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4200 on: August 01, 2012, 05:53:11 pm »

It would stop gun shops along the Mexican border from selling forty AR-15s a week to the same customer, which I'd like to think is something we can all get behind even if it requires a bit more finesse than a blanket ban.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: August 01, 2012, 05:57:04 pm »

Yeah there is no valid argument for allowing civilians to purchase automatic assault weapons. Yes you could also focus on the guns used in the majority of crimes, ie. handguns. I would support this and it would make a much more significant difference. I said at least because even to people who go on about constitutional gun rights have trouble arguing that private citizens should have machine guns. Getting handguns banned would be really really hard.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: August 01, 2012, 06:03:07 pm »

see I would figure if one of the main arguments for guns was protection from tyranny that automatic weapons would be far more acceptable than handguns

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: August 01, 2012, 06:06:48 pm »

bullet   Criminals use whatever guns are available; if one type is banned, criminals will switch to whatever they can get
Excellent!  Maybe they'll switch to a gun that can't shoot 70 people in 2 minutes and thus not shoot 70 people in 2 minutes.

see I would figure if one of the main arguments for guns was protection from tyranny that automatic weapons would be far more acceptable than handguns
It's not one of the main arguments because it's a stupid argument.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4204 on: August 01, 2012, 06:25:48 pm »

Yeah there is no valid argument for allowing civilians to purchase automatic assault weapons. Yes you could also focus on the guns used in the majority of crimes, ie. handguns. I would support this and it would make a much more significant difference. I said at least because even to people who go on about constitutional gun rights have trouble arguing that private citizens should have machine guns. Getting handguns banned would be really really hard.

It the states where automatic weapons can be purchased legally, doing so is a very expensive and slow process that involves registration. These guns are almost never used for crime as it is. I don't see any reason to outright ban them.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: August 01, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »

The problem is that no matter what you ban, criminals will always find ways of hurting or killing people.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: August 01, 2012, 06:33:04 pm »

The problem is that no matter what you ban, criminals will always find ways of hurting or killing people.
Clearly we should ban the use of hands. It would be for your own safety *pulls out meat cleaver*  :P

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: August 01, 2012, 06:33:11 pm »

This argument could be used against the illegalization of selling nuclear weapons to people without changing it at all.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: August 01, 2012, 06:34:59 pm »

bullet   Criminals use whatever guns are available; if one type is banned, criminals will switch to whatever they can get
Excellent!  Maybe they'll switch to a gun that can't shoot 70 people in 2 minutes and thus not shoot 70 people in 2 minutes.

It's not one of the main arguments because it's a stupid argument.
To be perfectly fair, it would be far easier to kill people with explosives, A man holding a box is slightly less auspicious than a man carrying a Scary, Black, Cop Killing Rifle. Any idiot can look up how to make a bomb from ammonia nitrate, hell you can make a fully automatic smg out of plumbing parts.

Also, never trust the government, it isn't your friend. It isn't there to help you, just to screw you over.

This argument could be used against the illegalization of selling nuclear weapons to people without changing it at all.

I believe there is a small distinction from a "firearm" to a "nuclear bomb" Don't you?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:49 pm »

His point is that distinction is not made in the argument of "the problem is that no matter what you ban, criminals will always find ways of hurting or killing people." The logic presented justifies nuclear weapons just as much as small arms.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: August 01, 2012, 06:43:00 pm »

His point is that distinction is not made in the argument of "the problem is that no matter what you ban, criminals will always find ways of hurting or killing people." The logic presented justifies nuclear weapons just as much as small arms.

except the average thug isn't going to be able to buy a several million dollar ICBM, In fact I don't believe there has ever been a WMD sold legally on the open market at least to individuals. Nuclear weapons aren't available for purchase so it's a complete red herring.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: August 01, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »

It also justifies getting rid of the justice system altogether.  I mean, no matter how many murderers you send to jail criminals will always find ways of hurting or killing people.

To be perfectly fair, it would be far easier to kill people with explosives, A man holding a box is slightly less auspicious than a man carrying a Scary, Black, Cop Killing Rifle. Any idiot can look up how to make a bomb from ammonia nitrate, hell you can make a fully automatic smg out of plumbing parts.
Yeah, so you take anti-bomb measures too (such as requiring people to have a legitimate reason to have ammonia nitrate - I think this is already covered in the US).  In any case homemade bomb attacks are almost never anywhere near as deadly as automatic assault weapon rampages.  This fully automatic smg out of plumbing parts is not going to shoot 70 people in 2 minutes because it's an inferior homemade weapon.

Also, never trust the government, it isn't your friend. It isn't there to help you, just to screw you over.
Wheras random people with automatic weapons are always my friends, I guess?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: August 01, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »

It also justifies getting rid of the justice system altogether.  I mean, no matter how many murderers you send to jail criminals will always find ways of hurting or killing people.

Yeah, so you take anti-bomb measures too (such as requiring people to have a legitimate reason to have ammonia nitrate - I think this is already covered in the US).  In any case homemade bomb attacks are almost never anywhere near as deadly as automatic assault weapon rampages.  This fully automatic smg out of plumbing parts is not going to shoot 70 people in 2 minutes because it's an inferior homemade weapon.
So you are okay with law abiding citizens having access to bomb making materials, but not allowing them to have automatic weapons? Also "homemade bomb attacks are almost never anywhere near as deadly as automatic assault weapon rampages." But they have the potential to be far lethal, it's also far harder to catch the perpatrator, it took them over 20 years to catch the unibomber. And that "inferior homemade weapon" has a rof of over a 100rds, sure it's a smooth bore smg, but it a crowded mall you don't really need accuracy

Wheras random people with automatic weapons are always my friends, I guess?
[/quote]
Well statistically I'm probably more likely to be killed by a cop kicking down the wrong door, than to be shot by a gun enthusiast.

But hey, what do I know? Maybe I'm just crazy for refusing to give up personal liberties for momentary safety.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:28 pm »

But hey, what do I know? Maybe I'm just crazy for refusing to give up personal liberties for momentary safety.

If only because it was Jason Alexander saying it, I feel this is worth a read, just as something to read.

I'd also appreciate turning down the hyperbole before it gets out of hand.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4214 on: August 01, 2012, 07:12:16 pm »

Nonesense. The govornment is a dear friend. He will totally stab a dude who picks a fight with us, or looks at us funny, or is kinda brownish. Though he is one that will totally forget about the money he keeps borrowing from you, pukes on your couch and occasionally gets a little gropey with the wife.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 714