Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721107 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4680 on: August 16, 2012, 03:44:57 pm »

I really doubt that the VP race will matter this time around. In '08 it was a big deal because McCain was so old, him dying in office was a far statistical possibility, while a lot of conspirators expected Obama's election to be received violently. This time around, Romney's not that old, and Obama's settled in enough that fears of his removal are no longer a factor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: August 16, 2012, 04:07:16 pm »

Romney Says ‘I’ve Paid at Least 13%’ in Taxes in Past Decade

... he called the continued focus on his personal tax returns “small-minded” in the face of the nation’s problems.

In an interview during his trip abroad last month, Mr. Romney was asked whether he had ever paid a tax rate lower than the 13.9 percent he paid in 2010.

“I haven’t calculated that,” Mr. Romney told David Muir of ABC News. “I’m happy to go back and look, but my view is I’ve paid all the taxes required by law.”

No need to comment, he's just digging himself a trench.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:08:52 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:42 pm »

Congress's approval rating is roughly the same as Encino Man's rating on Rotten Tomatoes: 16%. Hell, Brendan Fraser and Pauly Shore might make better Representatives than most of the folks in there now. Well...Fraser might.
At least they're more popular than Fidel Castro again. Marginally.
Worth noting: FOX News actually has the highest margin for Obama, which is surprising.
Not that surprising. FOX said Obama had a massive advantage last election too. They want people to think he's a serious threat and come out to vote in response. It's more sneaky than maintaining that you're winning regardless of reality, but not very different in intent.
North Carolina: Romney +1
Now there's an oddity. I wasn't expecting a dead heat from NC after the conservative swing these last few years.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: August 16, 2012, 04:28:40 pm »

North Carolina: Romney +1
Now there's an oddity. I wasn't expecting a dead heat from NC after the conservative swing these last few years.
Yeah, me either. PPP actually has Obama with a tiny lead in their latest poll, but they tend to lean left so I'm not putting much weight on that.

The state has swung to the right, but there's also a lot of people fed up with the swing to the right and some of the pants-on-head-retarded things that have come of it, such as our "lalalalala can't hear you the sea level isn't rising" policy. My Republican father-in-law detests the NC Republican Party for all this stupid shit, and while he was an ardent McCain/Palin supporter in 2008, he pretty quickly came around and griped that people were piling on Obama before he even had a chance to do anything. Dunno how he'll vote this time around...hasn't come up in discussion.

You have to remember that a fair number of the GOP in the cities are Yankee transplants, not good ol' boys. They're a different kind of Republican, and whlie they might actually be more pro-Romney than the good ol' boys, they're less inherently anti-Obama.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:38:02 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: August 16, 2012, 09:04:30 pm »

Anybody even vaguely considering voting for Romney should watch this first.  What he says now isn't what he used to say, or what he'll likely say later on.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4685 on: August 16, 2012, 09:25:17 pm »

Romney: gets elected, retroactively changes his campaign promises.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:41 am »

Romney: gets elected, retroactively changes his campaign promises.
Mitt Romney has ALWAYS been at war with Eastasia.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: August 17, 2012, 09:30:16 am »

The DHS is not "local authority".
Which was my point. The DHS and administration were not behind the crackdowns. Local authorities were. However, eyes and blame went to the DHS and White House because they are seen as the default oppressors. That idea that Federal power is more dangerous than local power is what is wrong here.

Well, your article is at least partially incorrect. The decision (at least in Portland) was made by FPS/DHS agents "on the ground" alongside local police, not by the city or the state. Unless you literally mean "local power" as in "the federal agents in YOUR town" or something.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: August 17, 2012, 09:51:43 am »

The DHS is not "local authority".
Which was my point. The DHS and administration were not behind the crackdowns. Local authorities were. However, eyes and blame went to the DHS and White House because they are seen as the default oppressors. That idea that Federal power is more dangerous than local power is what is wrong here.

Well, your article is at least partially incorrect. The decision (at least in Portland) was made by FPS/DHS agents "on the ground" alongside local police, not by the city or the state. Unless you literally mean "local power" as in "the federal agents in YOUR town" or something.
In this case, yes. The local FPS is responsible for the protection of Federal employees and property. FPS is part of DHS, but it looks like the local branches were given discretion to handle the situation. The issue is that at the top levels, there was a directive to make no systematic policy of interfering with the Occupy protests. Obviously, you're not going to say "Let them do whatever the hell they want, even if threatens Federal employees" so FPS still had discretion to invite the local cops in if they deemed it necessary.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: August 17, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »

Anybody even vaguely considering voting for Romney should watch this first.  What he says now isn't what he used to say, or what he'll likely say later on.

I prefer a flip-flopper who does what the people want, rather than someone who gets people killed, captured, or their identities exposed, like these brave men. The same man who invalidates intelligence that could save lives, by announcing the death of Osama and rendering all this information from the hideout invalid. The same man who kills people because he doesn't want the fallout of having to detain the terrorists. Because why should he care how many bodies he has to climb over, if he gets to sit in the oval office another 4 years. Don't believe me? Ask Brian Terry's family.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:27:04 pm by Urist_McDrowner »

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: August 17, 2012, 02:29:25 pm »

Don't forget Stuxnet.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: August 17, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »

Don't forget Stuxnet.

You are holding this out against Obama?

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: August 17, 2012, 02:41:43 pm »

Don't forget Stuxnet.

You are holding this out against Obama?

Well, it's not like virtually every piece of intelligence leaked has made Obama look like a champ, and the fact these leaks have some very high officials names attached.

Owait.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4693 on: August 17, 2012, 02:47:41 pm »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-morello-paul-ryan-is-the-embodiment-of-the-machine-our-music-rages-against-20120816#ixzz23oXpFTYc

Oh, and I think the pile of bodies Obama will have to crawl over because he has gone to far will be smaller than the pile of bodies Romney will gleefully stroll over while cracking jokes because he has not gone to far enough.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: August 17, 2012, 02:49:33 pm »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-morello-paul-ryan-is-the-embodiment-of-the-machine-our-music-rages-against-20120816#ixzz23oXpFTYc

Oh, and I think the pile of bodies Obama will have to crawl over because he has gone to far will be smaller than the pile of bodies Romney will gleefully stroll over while cracking jokes because he has not gone to far enough.

Prove it.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 714