Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721193 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4710 on: August 17, 2012, 03:11:47 pm »

And Romney's engaging in class warfare? Are you nuts? Obama is the one talking about "No more tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires". "Those millionaires and billionaires". Can't hear a speech from him without "millionaires and billionaires" anymore.

Do you even comprehend how obscenely ridiculous and 1984 double speak that sounds?

To be fair, Obama IS stirring up a bit of class warfare, trying to win over the largely conservative middle class.

He's trying to win over the conservative middle class by going with policies that are the opposite of conservative ideology? Either you overestimate the amount of conservatism in the middle class, or you don't understand the ideology. Or both.

It was a federal task force that was blocked from doing it's job by state prosecutors and a single incident of a single agent letting guns walk on his own initiative.

That and it was about factional conflict within the ATF task force, some exercising poor or non-existent judgment, disobeying orders, on top of being stymied by prosecutors unwilling to pursue cases. Yet most conservatives want to lay it at the Presidents feet as some kind of absurd conspiracy to arm Mexican drug lords. Eric Holder and the Obama Administration aren't doing themselves any favors by asserting executive and departmental privilege. Show me one administration that doesn't do that when there's a major scandal that has given them a black eye though.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:14:13 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: August 17, 2012, 03:19:45 pm »

Which is why facts (The Administration has leaked this information, and did Fast and Furious), trump opinions any day of the week.
I kinda adore that your 'facts' are leaks of unknown source and intention and a scandal that isn't what it's being made out to be. Fast and Furious was not a gunwalking exercise and certainly wasn't an administration policy. It was a federal task force that was blocked from doing it's job by state prosecutors and a single incident of a single agent letting guns walk on his own initiative.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-anti-gunrunning-effort-turns-fatally-wrong/2011/07/14/gIQAH5d6YI_story_1.html

Boy, truth sucks, eh?

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/facts-sought-on-d-e-a-informants/?scp=10&sq=operation%20fast%20and%20furious&st=nyt

Then there's also the fact it wasn't a single agent.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: August 17, 2012, 03:21:23 pm »

Yet most conservatives want to lay it at the Presidents feet as some kind of absurd conspiracy to arm Mexican drug lords.

Irrelevant. Actually, the conspiracy was that Obama was attempting to fabricate a case that US guns are making Mexican crime, which was not and still is not true.

Show me one administration that doesn't do that when there's a major scandal that has given them a black eye though.

And that excuses it, how? At least in watergate, nobody died.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: August 17, 2012, 03:24:37 pm »

And Romney's engaging in class warfare? Are you nuts? Obama is the one talking about "No more tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires". "Those millionaires and billionaires". Can't hear a speech from him without "millionaires and billionaires" anymore.
Do you even comprehend how obscenely ridiculous and 1984 double speak that sounds?
To be fair, Obama IS stirring up a bit of class warfare, trying to win over the largely conservative middle class.
Is the middle class largely conservative? I hadn't noticed. Got a source on that? I'd like to read up on such data.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: August 17, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »

Irrelevant. Actually, the conspiracy was that Obama was attempting to fabricate a case that US guns are making Mexican crime, which was not and still is not true.

Wait, so now it's a conspiracy to promote gun control legislation? This is adorable. It's been a while since there's been a conservative of this brand openly posting for a while. For all your harping on facts, you're leaping to conjecture as fast as you can invent it.

And that excuses it, how? At least in watergate, nobody died.

Where did I say it did? And even if I did, you just followed it up with what reads like an excuse for Watergate.

And seriously, if you read only one thing out of this make it: Quit freaking double posting, your input isn't so important it need to be posted the instant it crosses your mind.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: August 17, 2012, 03:25:43 pm »

Is the middle class largely conservative? I hadn't noticed. Got a source on that? I'd like to read up on such data.
Me too.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: August 17, 2012, 03:26:06 pm »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-anti-gunrunning-effort-turns-fatally-wrong/2011/07/14/gIQAH5d6YI_story_1.html

Boy, truth sucks, eh?

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/facts-sought-on-d-e-a-informants/?scp=10&sq=operation%20fast%20and%20furious&st=nyt

I linked you to the results of a six month investigation that followed the 2011 articles you just linked. Please, read the article. It corrects the details that were completely unknown at the time your links were written.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: August 17, 2012, 03:30:37 pm »

Boy, truth sucks, eh?

I linked you to the results of a six month investigation that followed the 2011 articles you just linked. Please, read the article. It corrects the details that were completely unknown at the time your links were written.

Yeah, sorry, it's CNN, and doesn't cite or link any neutral sources. It cites exactly two documents directly and quotes only a handful of others. You may as well quote the Drudge Report for "the truth about Obama"

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4718 on: August 17, 2012, 03:31:57 pm »

Which is why facts (The Administration has leaked this information, and did Fast and Furious), trump opinions any day of the week.
I kinda adore that your 'facts' are leaks of unknown source and intention and a scandal that isn't what it's being made out to be. Fast and Furious was not a gunwalking exercise and certainly wasn't an administration policy. It was a federal task force that was blocked from doing it's job by state prosecutors and a single incident of a single agent letting guns walk on his own initiative.

Boy, truth sucks, eh?

Do you ever actually read the articles you link to? It has become a very apparent pattern that they never fully support the statements you are making and rarely even provide partial support.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:33:30 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: August 17, 2012, 04:02:33 pm »

Wait, so now it's a conspiracy to promote gun control legislation? This is adorable. It's been a while since there's been a conservative of this brand openly posting for a while. For all your harping on facts, you're leaping to conjecture as fast as you can invent it.

He didn't come up with that, it's been a gun-nut talking point for months.

I think I can safely say that I know more about Fast and Furious than ANYONE on this forum.
Without going into anything confidential, I will say that it was NOT some kind of conspiracy to funnel arms to Mexico, for whatever harebrained motivation one cares to imagine.
Nor was it "somebody asleep at the wheel".

What it was was a sting operation that went on too long, because senior officials were afraid to close the trap shut too soon and miss getting the "big fish".

A little background: Starting in 2006, ATF was coming under a lot of pressure from DOJ for only focusing on apprehending and prosecuting the straw purchasers, not the people they were working for (middlemen who through various chains of further middlemen were believed to lead back to the Mexican drug cartels). Because most of the people further up the food chain weren't US nationals, it would be problematic for ATF to bust them.

So the idea was to monitor suspected straw purchases, record the serial numbers of the weapons, and then see where those weapons popped up later (such as Mexican Federal police running gun traces on captured weapons).

Couple of things went horribly wrong:
1. The drug war in Mexico escalated to the point where the Federal police weren't capturing a hell of a lot of anything, or were corrupt and turning the weapons right back over to the cartels.
2. After the initial planned period for the op was up, the guys running the thing didn't want to pull the plug because they felt like if they waited just one more month, they'd be able to tie it to a big-time player in Mexico and make a big bust. That "one more month" eventually ended up something like 18 months, iirc.
3. Because of the amount of time it went on (and the concomitant number of weapons sold during that period), it got to be problematic even keeping track of all the weapons.
4. The Mexican government and law enforcement community was kept in the dark on this. It was a diplomatic risk (they were understandably pissed when they found out), but I'd have done the same. Simply put, the Mexican security apparatus is so compromised that they simply can't be trusted with that kind of information. It's the same reason we didn't tell the Pakistanis we were coming after Osama.

The basic concept wasn't horrible. FBI and Treasury do the same thing with marked bills to try and figure out money-laundering networks. DEA sometimes does the same thing with quantities of illegal drugs. The difference being that cash and drugs don't DIRECTLY kill people.  :-\

Was there poor oversight? Absolutely. FWIW (and this is strictly my personal opinion), I think Ken Melson took way too much of the blame and not enough was given to the regional guys running the show. There was some internal hat-shuffling and some minor demotions as a result, but no real heads rolling, which is a shame. But I also think the baying for blood by the right-wing over this is disingenuous. If the FBI let a million dollars enter a mob's money laundering cycle and then lost track of it, they'd be griping about it but nowhere near to the level they are with F&F. I understand part of that in that a Federal agent died as a result of one of the weapons (although that's it's own story....there's some question as to whether he was being used as bait. But that's for another argument.), but on the whole this was just a tragically mismanaged operation with good intent, not the nefarious conspiracy that certain asshats like to make it out to be.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:06:30 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: August 17, 2012, 04:05:12 pm »

Are you saying that the federal government sometimes takes risks and they don't pan out?

Outrageous!  I demand we have a constitutional amendment saying that the federal government only takes risks that pan out!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: August 17, 2012, 04:25:34 pm »

Are you saying that the federal government sometimes takes risks and they don't pan out?

Outrageous!  I demand we have a constitutional amendment saying that the federal government only takes risks that pan out!
I say sir...  that is not going far enough!  I demand that we only take risks that are 100% guaranteed to pan out before we even pay someone one red cent to analyze the risk!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: August 17, 2012, 04:29:30 pm »

Don't you fools get it? A chance of failure is inherent in the word "risk"! Clearly, the solution is that the government never ever takes a risk ever!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: August 17, 2012, 05:44:10 pm »

Well i'd like to hear from the conservatives what we can do to avoid the gangs getting hold of guns. Do you propose federal tracking of gun purchases? Maybe a database of all buyers?

The gangs will get guns if they want guns. Blocking sales in Arizona would only have caused them to buy guns somewhere else, and not saved a SINGLE life.

If the feds were able to stop guns from getting into the hands of gangs at all, I'd like to hear how this magic works from some conservatives?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:45:45 pm by Reelya »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: August 17, 2012, 06:35:23 pm »

In moderately relevant news, Joe Biden made a ridiculously fist-in-mouth comment about chains. I forget the link to the video and articles, but I'm sure it can be Googled.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 714