Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720746 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5010 on: August 23, 2012, 04:47:42 pm »

All signs except the data point to Romney winning.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: August 23, 2012, 05:00:48 pm »

Michigan's average on RCP (Obama +3.8) seems to be skewed by Baydoun/Foster (D) reporting Romney +4, while every other polling company says Obama +5/6.  They did seem to have the biggest sample, but as it links to Fox News I'm not trusting it.

So if you add Michigan's 16 places back on that gives Obama 237.  Which would leave him in the position of win Florida plus any other swing state to win.
If that's the same Baydoun/Foster that Nate talks about here then there have been noted irregularities in their polls already. Their Florida poll had the demographics all over the place.
But once in a great while, a poll comes along with methodology that is so implausible that it deserves some further comment. The Foster McCollum White Baydoun poll of Florida is one such survey.

The poll was weighted to a demographic estimate that predicts that just 2 percent of Florida voters will be 30 or younger. It’s a decent bet that turnout will be down some among younger voters this year, but that isn’t a realistic estimate. In 2008, according to exit polls, 15 percent of voters in Florida were between 18 and 30.

The poll also assumed that 10 percent of voters will be between the ages of 31 and 50. In 2008, the actual percentage was 36 percent, according to the exit survey.

The poll projected Latinos to be 7 percent of the turnout in Florida, against 14 percent in 2008. And it has African-American turnout at 10 percent, down from 13 percent.

If the turnout numbers look something like that in November, then Mr. Obama will lose Florida badly. He’ll also lose almost every other state; his electoral map might look a lot like Walter Mondale’s.
The Michigan poll shows up in Nate's numbers. His average is +3.1 (47.1/44.0), but his adjusted average is +5.0 (48.0/43.0). Given his straight average is usually more mathematically reliable than RCP (whose polling averages are utterly shit for multiple reasons) I'd say the RCP average is actually generously biased towards Obama even with the strange poll. On the other hand, Nate's adjusted averages have earned my trust for their predictive powers. I'd say the polling does show the lead fairly narrow but that realistically it's still a 5 point race and expected to inflate out to 7% by the election.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: August 23, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »

I wouldn't count on Florida going to Obama.  There's a much more reliable route to 270 if he just nabs Ohio and Virginia:  http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=tgf
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: August 23, 2012, 06:00:44 pm »

Exactly. Obama doesn't need Florida. But if he carries Florida, he's virtually guaranteed to win. That said, Ohio might be the harder of the two states for him to carry, depending on who believes the latest coal hysteria.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: August 23, 2012, 06:10:49 pm »

I'd think Virginia would be more Coalish than Ohio. Ohio's got some large cities that aren't all owned by coal. Virginia? Not so easy I'd say.

On  a totally unrelated note, Mayor Stubbs has never to my knowledge claimed that Forcable rape that leads to pregnancy is consentual. He's only a mayor and already more tactful than a senator hopeful. It's time to pick the right cat for the job.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: August 23, 2012, 06:12:11 pm »

Ohio also has the auto industry, which should make it more friendly to Obama.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: August 23, 2012, 06:17:17 pm »

I'd be very surprised if coal make much of an impact on this race in any of the swing states.  If you look at the polls though, Obama has consistantly lead in Ohio while Florida has been pretty mixed.  Seeing as there hasn't been any evidence yet of the Ryan VP pick hurting Romney with older voters that demographic gives Romney a good shot in Florida.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/oh/ohio_romney_vs_obama-1860.html#polls
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/fl/florida_romney_vs_obama-1883.html#polls
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: August 23, 2012, 06:35:54 pm »

The latest coal scare isn't just about mining. According to Romney, new "Typical Obama" regulations on coal will cause electricity prices to skyrocket. According to independent analysis, the new regulations will have negligible financial impact, and date back to Bush-era legislation.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: August 23, 2012, 06:43:00 pm »

Okay but I still don't see how that will have a big impact.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: August 24, 2012, 09:38:45 am »

Akin calls for this charade to end:

St. Louis, MO: The following statement was released by Perry Akin, Campaign Manager for Todd Akin for Senate, in response to the Rasmussen poll released this morning:

“The fact that Claire McCaskill is only polling at 48% after 72 hours of constant negative attacks on Todd Akin shows just how weak she is. If she can’t break fifty percent after a week like this, Democrats should ask Claire to step down. Todd is in this race to win; we will close this gap and win in November with the support of the grassroots in Missouri and across America.”
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: August 24, 2012, 09:46:10 am »

Akin calls for this charade to end:

St. Louis, MO: The following statement was released by Perry Akin, Campaign Manager for Todd Akin for Senate, in response to the Rasmussen poll released this morning:

“The fact that Claire McCaskill is only polling at 48% after 72 hours of constant negative attacks on Todd Akin shows just how weak she is. If she can’t break fifty percent after a week like this, Democrats should ask Claire to step down. Todd is in this race to win; we will close this gap and win in November with the support of the grassroots in Missouri and across America.”

That's pretty ballsy. In effect, they said, "Wow! Because I'm such a dickbag, the fact you're only beating me by TEN percentage points means you're bad and you should feel bad!" Talk about spin.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: August 24, 2012, 09:51:37 am »

Sadly the fact that you rejected it shows this probably wasn't a legitimate silver lining.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: August 24, 2012, 10:00:19 am »

Notice something about his campaign manager's name? That's Todd's son. And Todd Akin's wife serves as his other top advisor.

This is fairly common in local politics up to around the State House level. Once you get to the national stage it's pretty much a terrible idea. Most House races involve professional campaign teams. For a Senate race to be run by family members is a sure sign of absurdity.

At least one of the Republican calls for him to resign used this point, saying he operates in, "an insular environment," and, "lives in a parallel universe."

As for McCaskill's polling, I'd be shocked if she got more than that 48% given that only a few days ago she had a 53% disapproval rate. If both those numbers are accurate then she is already getting supporters who previously actively disliked the job she is doing. It does look like Akin's remarks have galvanised Democratic support behind her while shaking his Republican supporters. Given that there is a Libertarian candidate running there is a strong chance he will lose some of those supporters for good.

And looking back at Nate Silver, this is a good reminder of why us polling geeks love him.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:20:08 am by palsch »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: August 24, 2012, 10:15:02 am »

Notice something about his campaign manager's name? That's Todd's son. And Todd Akin's wife serves as his other top advisor.

This is fairly common in local politics up to around the State House level. Once you get to the national stage it's pretty much a terrible idea. Most House races involve professional campaign teams. For a Senate race to be run by family members is a sure sign of absurdity.
"How am I doing in the polls? Should I bow out?"
"Well...."
"Let me remind you that I haven't given you your allowance yet this week."
"You're doing great, Dad!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: August 24, 2012, 01:08:38 pm »

I have about 20 pages to catch up on.  It's going to take me a while.  So in the meantime, I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but it's worth mention if not.

About 40% of the investments that launched Bain Capital came from families who were prominent in the organization of death squads in El Salvador in the 80s.

So Romney seems to go beyond exemplifying your generally sleazy politician.  He's also fat on blood money.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 714