Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721030 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5100 on: August 29, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

Maybe the paulites should vote libertarian instead of sticking with a party that does not want them? Who am I kidding, that will never happen.

http://news.yahoo.com/gop-oks-platform-barring-abortions-gay-marriage-204947742.html

So much for their earlier claims of "focusing on the economy"

The US is very heavily rigged towards the main two parties so far as election laws go, and the media isn't any better. For example, to make the debates, a candidate has to receive 15% of the vote in 3 consecutive polls (or something similar at least), yet the vast majority of polling companies don't even include third party candidates in head to head match ups. The only time a third party candidate is going to get anywhere is if he's a billionaire who self funds like Ross Perot.
You are unfortunately right. We really need to move towards a form of instant runoff or range voting in order to give more people a voice. In addition, we could also use a proportional or semi-proportional assembly.
EDIT: And in other news...
An attendee at the Republican National Convention in Tampa on Tuesday allegedly threw nuts at a black camerawoman working for CNN and said “This is how we feed animals” before being removed from the convention, a network official confirmed to TPM.

speaking of displays of racism, or at least questionably racially motivated stuff at the RNC...

Forgive me if thes are a bit out there. I got these links from my an relative of mine that can be... lets just  say dogmatic in her lefty ness.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2012/08/hbc-90008805

A puerto rican speaker is overpowered by chanting by the crowd. It isn't so much the U.S.A chanting, but you can also hear and see some other things if you pay attention.

And then there is this.

http://www.politicususa.com/rush-limbaugh-hopes-hurricane-isaac-kills-poor-black-democrats.html

1: I don't agree with this articles conclusion, I can't read any direct racism into this particular bit of crap from Rush.

2: It is still Rush being a jackass and hoping that the hurricane wipes out the democratic voting base of Louisiana.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: August 29, 2012, 01:29:59 pm »

It's unfortunate that the lesson learned by Paulites in this election will not extend to the Republican Party in general: being the minority at the mercy of the majority blows.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5103 on: August 29, 2012, 01:32:51 pm »

I wonder if Ron Paul would have had a better chance running as a Democrat, if someone like Mitt was already on the throne of words.

After all, he never really was a Republican; always a Libertarian.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: August 29, 2012, 01:39:45 pm »

I wonder if Ron Paul would have had a better chance running as a Democrat, if someone like Mitt was already on the throne of words.

He record on minorities and social policy pretty much would make that a non-starter. Kind of how his harping on corporate America killed his chances of being a major Republican contender.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: August 29, 2012, 01:55:03 pm »

Raging Paulites at the Republican National Convention.

Video.

So I've been told several times that the answer to disillusioned voters who feel like they don't have any real choice in elections is to get more involved in the primary process... I suppose the stance now would be that only applies if you're a democrat?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5106 on: August 29, 2012, 02:29:35 pm »

He record on minorities and social policy pretty much would make that a non-starter. Kind of how his harping on corporate America killed his chances of being a major Republican contender.

The Paulites would follow him wherever, so he would still get however many 'votes' (I am unsure of the differences in the DNC/RNC delegate process).  Would he at least have gotten those delegates acknowledged? Sure, he would have had no real chance there either, but would he be able to influence with 'some' of his messages more on the D side than the R?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: August 29, 2012, 02:40:28 pm »

The Paulites would follow him wherever, so he would still get however many 'votes' (I am unsure of the differences in the DNC/RNC delegate process).  Would he at least have gotten those delegates acknowledged? Sure, he would have had no real chance there either, but would he be able to influence with 'some' of his messages more on the D side than the R?

Mebbe. When push comes to shove I don't know if the Dems would really act much different this regard. Neither part likes giving their fringe members speaking time, especially when the nomination is a foregone conclusion.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: August 29, 2012, 02:54:37 pm »

Raging Paulites at the Republican National Convention.

Video.

So I've been told several times that the answer to disillusioned voters who feel like they don't have any real choice in elections is to get more involved in the primary process... I suppose the stance now would be that only applies if you're a democrat?
The conventions are just a rubber stamp for already determined votes. The primary election s in the sprng are where the real effort matters.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: August 29, 2012, 02:57:02 pm »

Paul works better in the Republican party because most of the "objectionable" things he believes in are covered by the ol' "States Rights/Individual Liberty" argument except for foreign policy, which is something he's trying to change in a big way. He believes in a lot of the same things as Democrats, but for entirely different reasons and hence would be promptly tossed out if he switched.

speaking of displays of racism, or at least questionably racially motivated stuff at the RNC...

Forgive me if thes are a bit out there. I got these links from my an relative of mine that can be... lets just  say dogmatic in her lefty ness.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2012/08/hbc-90008805

A puerto rican speaker is overpowered by chanting by the crowd. It isn't so much the U.S.A chanting, but you can also hear and see some other things if you pay attention.

IIRC that was a mixture of the Paulites saying "SEAT THEM NOW" in reference to the Maine delegation and the Romneyites saying "USA" as the standard jingoistic reply to dissent. Since the Paulites were smaller in number and largely located in the nosebleeds, the "USA" chant mostly drowned them out. There might have been some other stuff said too, though.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: August 29, 2012, 03:27:33 pm »

Some guy is doing an AMA on Reddit.

And in case the page is still down;
Hi, I’m Barack Obama, President of the United States. Ask me anything. I’ll be taking your questions for half an hour starting at about 4:30 ET.

Proof it's me: https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/240903767350968320

We're running early and will get started soon.

UPDATE: Hey everybody - this is barack. Just finished a great rally in Charlottesville, and am looking forward to your questions. At the top, I do want to say that our thoughts and prayers are with folks who are dealing with Hurricane Isaac in the Gulf, and to let them know that we are going to be coordinating with state and local officials to make sure that we give families everything they need to recover.

Verification photo: http://i.imgur.com/oz0a7.jpg

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: August 29, 2012, 04:17:53 pm »

Some guy is doing an AMA on Reddit.

And in case the page is still down;
Hi, I’m Barack Obama, President of the United States. Ask me anything. I’ll be taking your questions for half an hour starting at about 4:30 ET.

Proof it's me: https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/240903767350968320

We're running early and will get started soon.

UPDATE: Hey everybody - this is barack. Just finished a great rally in Charlottesville, and am looking forward to your questions. At the top, I do want to say that our thoughts and prayers are with folks who are dealing with Hurricane Isaac in the Gulf, and to let them know that we are going to be coordinating with state and local officials to make sure that we give families everything they need to recover.

Verification photo: http://i.imgur.com/oz0a7.jpg
I predict a dozen questions re: his birth certificate :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: August 29, 2012, 04:44:25 pm »

In other news Obama was just on reddit and I FUCKING MISSED IT!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:12 pm »

1) It was probably some staffer, not him doing the chat.
2) He mostly stated obvious things and said platitude.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 714