Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720915 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5415 on: September 15, 2012, 06:09:58 pm »

Err, you guys do know that Her Majesty died fifteen years ago, right?

We have a long-standing tradition of taxidermy in the UK.
You must dabble in animatronics as well :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: September 15, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »

Not to mention ghostwriting.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: September 15, 2012, 10:28:50 pm »

Lowest Congressional approval ratings during an election in history.

Shit, at this rate they're going to end up below Fidel Castro again. They're still below Communism if I'm remembering right.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: September 15, 2012, 11:33:30 pm »

It's a very meaningless statistic however.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: September 15, 2012, 11:36:44 pm »

Something is very wrong with the country when a massive dissatisfaction with the way our leaders do their jobs is meaningless.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: September 15, 2012, 11:40:23 pm »

Something is very wrong with the country when a massive dissatisfaction with the way our leaders do their jobs is meaningless.

That's not what the statistic is measuring though.  The statistic is measuring pretty much nothing.  There's way too many factors that go into it and while many of those factors are quite interesting it doesn't provide information about any of them.  It's an example of a statistic that sounds important because it's related to important statistics but is actually devoid of any appreciable value.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: September 16, 2012, 08:13:57 am »

Actually, I disagree. That statistic is quite important. It demonstrates how disappointed the American electorate is with their elected leadership. Numbers this low would typically express themselves in a general trend towards increasing protests and reformation movements. If those don't work you will start to see increased risk of rioting for unpopular  things. A state of severe hardship actually risks the formation of honest to goodness revolutionary factions. America is a bubbling cauldron. A tinderbox. This number shows it clearly. I'm not saying this is going to happen, it's just increased risk. Except protests and reformation movements. Too late for that.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: September 16, 2012, 08:50:59 am »

The problem with general congressional approval is you don't have control over congress as a whole. You have control over your one congress critter and the two senators for your state. Those three individuals can pander to you directly, pissing off the rest of the country, with impunity. The same goes for every other district's representatives.

In the end each individual in the US could approve of only 1/50th of the Senate and 1/435th of the House and still end up voting every single member back in in a landslide for the status quo.

The idea that congress ever breaks 50% approval stuns me.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: September 16, 2012, 09:24:19 am »

Actually, I disagree. That statistic is quite important. It demonstrates how disappointed the American electorate is with their elected leadership.

http://youtu.be/pWdd6_ZxX8c
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: September 17, 2012, 05:21:21 pm »

Romney says that 47% of Americans are lazy freeloaders who want handouts.

Meanwhile in the real world many of those freeloaders have a higher tax burden then Romney himself because those lazy freeloaders are paying payroll taxes and sales taxes and property taxes (indirectly through higher prices/rents mostly).  Romney claims without proof to pay at least 13% of his income in taxes which going from these quintiles means roughly 60% of Americans paid a higher rate then him just counting the federal burden.  If you look at the state and local burdens (which fall harder on the poor then the rich) then it doesn't seem too unlikely that a clear majority of the freeloader class pays more in taxes then Romney does.

And even that's really understating the sheer willfull blindness of the statement.  Most people with low income tax burdens in America have low burdens for a simple reason: they are retired.  The non-retired mostly consist of those who are disabled or laid off and still seeking work.  These aren't freeloaders, they're people who earned they're way in the past.  They earned what they get with hard work.  But someone who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth thinks that people who actually work for a living have a sense of entitlement.

It isn't said enough: eat the rich.

P.S. The real irony in all this is that the largest group of that the largest group of the 47% Romney is slimming, the retired, are the most likely group to vote for him.  It is a strange, strange universe that Republican voters have concocted for themselves.

P.S.S. graph from here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/09/17/romney-my-job-is-not-to-worry-about-those-people/
lays it out very well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:30:12 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: September 17, 2012, 06:30:03 pm »

If calling 47% of the electorate lazy freeloaders who are beyond help doesn't lose you an election I don't know what would.  I mean, add on his 0% of the black vote and he's lost it right there.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: September 17, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »

Unless you assume that every black person is a lazy freeloader.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: September 17, 2012, 08:39:15 pm »

Unless you assume that every black person is a lazy freeloader.

This is probably his logic. The man is an idiot, and to compound that he doesn't even have the spine to be stupid consistently.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: September 17, 2012, 08:59:02 pm »

See, the thing is that he's not really that far-right but he has to pretend to be. He's just not good at it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: September 17, 2012, 09:07:17 pm »

See, the thing is that he's not really that far-right but he has to pretend to be.

So the conventional wisdom says.  But what evidence exactly do we have that he isn't as right wing as he acts?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 714