Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720904 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5715 on: September 25, 2012, 03:06:05 pm »

please tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that require at the very least gutting any other program?

It's not like Romney cares about climate research. We can just let all those satellites fall out of the sky.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: September 25, 2012, 03:06:08 pm »

Argh! I can't find a good link for the Minnesota electoral college nonsense! I got it from Conservapedia, which linked to Conservative News and Views, which linked to World Net Daily. The chap who's a candidate for the Electoral College, one James Grinols, only turns up the WND article on Youtube and some pages listing him as a pediatrician in Minneapolis.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: September 25, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »

Meaning that it's entirely possible WND just made that shit up. Kinda like their scoop about how the Chinese were supposedly arming Uighurs and secretly transporting them into Afghanistan to fight for the Taliban.

Although to be fair, I think they may actually have gotten that one from DEBKAfile, which is perhaps the only site I can think of MORE unreliable than WorldNetDaily.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: September 25, 2012, 03:17:42 pm »

Its a good policy to assume everything and anything even tangentially related to Conservapedia is completely and utterly fake unless proven otherwise, even if it sounds reasonable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: September 25, 2012, 03:19:17 pm »

Yeah I just about spit out my drink when I saw conservopedia actually get mentioned as an info source.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: September 25, 2012, 03:19:46 pm »

The Augustine Committee found the Constellation program to be simultaneously behind schedule, underfunded, and over budget. Back in 2010, there was no way that Constellation would have been successful without budget increases, and that would have been a hard sell.

Was cutting the Constellation program a mistake? I think so. Do I blame Obama for choosing that specific program to cut? Not at all.

Edited for accuracy after further research.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:31:50 pm by Techhead »
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5721 on: September 25, 2012, 03:53:22 pm »

Man, Romney is the gift that keeps on giving:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57520009-503544/romney-teacher-contributions-to-politicians-should-be-limited/
Damn all those rich teachers influencing politics!

Edit: looks like Truean beat me by a few minutes in the progressive rage on the same thing :P
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: September 25, 2012, 04:23:41 pm »

I'm not going to oppose them trying to stir up a social panic about China's space program. That's just what we need to convince the politicians to refund NASA.

This is perhaps the one subject where I find myself in total, disgusted disagreement with Obama.

But why is NASA so necessary? Please, explain.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: September 25, 2012, 04:24:53 pm »

I'm not going to oppose them trying to stir up a social panic about China's space program. That's just what we need to convince the politicians to refund NASA.

This is perhaps the one subject where I find myself in total, disgusted disagreement with Obama.

Space exploration. Getting off this dying planet.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: September 25, 2012, 04:27:46 pm »

I have been very pleasantly surprised by Obama's space policy.  When I heard he was reviewing the space program I assumed he was following the standard political trick of sending something to a committee so that you can delay any real action.  But it seems like an actually sensible space exploration program has emerged for the budget that the US is willing to commit.  The question is just if future presidents will stick to the sensible plan or commit NASA to some new underfunded mission like Bush's plan for Mars by 2020.  The successes so far with space privatization have been an even bigger shock.  It seemed obvious that this would just be compounding the pork barrel problems of current space exploration and waste a lot of money.  Much to my surprise the new space exploration companies seem to be pretty far sighted and have opted for efficient, centralized supply chains unlike Lockheed Martin and the rest.

But Romney is pretty much committed to rolling back every one of Obama's successful reforms.  Student loan reform turned out to be 100% gain with no downside but Romney has promised to roll it back.  Seeing as the taxpayers lost nothing by student loan reform this is nothing but a straight up giveaway to the banks that were previously acting as middlemen.  Obama's Medicare Part D overpayment reforms were attacked as wildly optimistic when they were proposed.  Now that they are working Romney wants to roll them back and go back to letting insurance companies overcharge the government.  Anything that Obama did must be bad so even when we are talking about wildly successful reforms that saved a lot of money and had no downside Romney is committed to rolling them back.  The word reactionary springs to mind.

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5725 on: September 25, 2012, 04:28:19 pm »

And getting to other smug planets so we can teach those celestial busybodies a lesson.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: September 25, 2012, 04:28:48 pm »

And getting to other smug planets so we can teach those celestial busybodies a lesson.
Yeah!

But, yes, satellites as well.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: September 25, 2012, 04:45:40 pm »

See, in Scotland we would say that free tuition fees, free medical prescriptions and free healthcare are more important than exploring space. But I suppose that's because America and the Russians and Chinese do that for us.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: September 25, 2012, 04:49:03 pm »

See, in Scotland we would say that free tuition fees, free medical prescriptions and free healthcare are more important than exploring space. But I suppose that's because America and the Russians and Chinese do that for us.

You could pretty much fit every one of those things combined under one fraction of Americas defense budget.

Also, if putting a man on mars would provide even a bit of the inspiration to learn science as the moon landing once did, I'd say its worth it. Every. Penny.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: September 25, 2012, 04:55:46 pm »

We need to find an alien race of psychic megasquid to fight so all of Earth can finally be united.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 714