Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720950 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6330 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:33 am »

As a point of discussion, I was pondering whether we could see Romney come back again for 2016 if he loses in November. He might end up like McCain or Al Gore and just retreat from that whole scene. Who, among the Republican candidates, will we see? I had a thought that perhaps Ron Paul is calculating that if he keeps doggedly running for the nomination every time, building up his movement, he may eventually win because there's nobody else credible enough to do it.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: October 09, 2012, 08:35:20 am »

At this point I think he's too old. He'd croak if he won.

But could you see a Paul/Paul ticket? That would be funny.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: October 09, 2012, 08:46:29 am »

He's auld, and he'd be 81 years old which would be a point of discussion and hubub, but he's still as energetic as ever right now at 77. If he's got a good vice presidential candidate by his side, you won't get a situation like we had with Sarah Palin and John McCain - she was only a heartbeat away from presidency.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: October 09, 2012, 08:50:27 am »

He's auld, and he'd be 81 years old which would be a point of discussion and hubub, but he's still as energetic as ever right now at 77. If he's got a good vice presidential candidate by his side, you won't get a situation like we had with Sarah Palin and John McCain - she was only a heartbeat away from presidency.
More like a heart attack away from presidency.

get it because McCain is really old
My wooden badge was delicious.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: October 09, 2012, 08:52:29 am »

More like a heart attack away from presidency.

get it because McCain is really old

Actually, that's the whole point of the expression "only a heartbeat away from the presidency" - if that heartbeat wasn't there, she'd be in.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: October 09, 2012, 08:53:05 am »

I would like to point out that McCain is still alive and kicking.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: October 09, 2012, 08:58:10 am »

As a point of discussion, I was pondering whether we could see Romney come back again for 2016 if he loses in November. He might end up like McCain or Al Gore and just retreat from that whole scene. Who, among the Republican candidates, will we see? I had a thought that perhaps Ron Paul is calculating that if he keeps doggedly running for the nomination every time, building up his movement, he may eventually win because there's nobody else credible enough to do it.

You say that like Ron Paul is a credible candidate. I'm confused.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: October 09, 2012, 09:00:06 am »

The only problem is Ron Paul's eventual decline in health will probably be extremely unpredictable.  Energetic elderly like him tend to go strong until they just hit an invisible wall.  Both sides of my family are like this.  Age hardly seems to effect us until one day news breaks that "he's slowing down", which means a couple months left at most.  There's never a trigger, either.  It's like the sand just runs out, then bam.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: October 09, 2012, 09:00:55 am »

Is Romney "credible"?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: October 09, 2012, 09:02:42 am »

If by "credible" you mean "has at least some chance of winning the presidency" then yes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: October 09, 2012, 09:08:16 am »

He's about as credible as Romney in the sense that he could actually run a campaign that would resonate with people. He represents more than he actually is. In some ways, he's a gift to the Republicans because not only does he support a lot of traditional republican values, he also resonates with a lot of young people. Mostly it's an either or.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:11:06 am by Owlbread »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:50 am »

There's a lot of semi-credible GOP candidates who chose to sit this one out. Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Tim Pawlenty, to name a few.

Don't know if it was discussed prior to the climate derail, but Obama's poor debate showing is hurting bigtime in the polls. New Pew poll has Romney at +4 nationally, while the aggregate national average stands at a mere +0.5 for Obama. Of course, the electoral map is not changed that much -- Obama still has a lock on about 251 votes, Romney on 181. Essentially, it's wiped out the gap created by Romney's 47% remark. Both men have a bit higher polling average than they did just before Romney's remark (the last time they were near-tied in the national polls), indicating that the undecided segment is shrinking rapidly. Most importantly though, Virginia, Ohio and Florida are back to being toss-ups. Interestingly though, so is North Carolina and according to some projections, Missouri.

Romney's path to the White House just got a little sunlight thrown on it, but it's still a very narrow road.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: October 09, 2012, 02:08:19 pm »

He's about as credible as Romney in the sense that he could actually run a campaign that would resonate with people. He represents more than he actually is. In some ways, he's a gift to the Republicans because not only does he support a lot of traditional republican values, he also resonates with a lot of young people. Mostly it's an either or.

The problem with Ron Paul so far as electability goes is that, as already said, he's far too old. By 2016, he would be at an age where dropping dead mid campaign would be a risk. Politically speaking, I'd imagine his chances for success go up substantially each time the Republicans lose, but obviously he wouldn't be able to take advantage of that if he died.

My guess is that a younger, Paul-esque candidate will eventually do well in a Republican primary in the future, but that's more like 2020 or so.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: October 09, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »

You mean, like Rand Paul?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: October 09, 2012, 02:14:07 pm »

Or RuPaul.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 714