Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721021 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6810 on: October 16, 2012, 09:58:14 pm »

Someone remind me how you guys got stuck with this simpering douchebag as a legitimate candidate?
Pretty much every other major contender was worse?

I woulda campaigned for Huntsman/Colbert, honestly.

Dunno if that'd qualify as major, though.

huntsman would have made a better second choice than romney at the very least.

and I cant really say more than that because most of his platform never really made it through to the public in the primary.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:23 pm »

I think we here in Ontario pretty much have this power thing figured out (for now, we need to build more reactors sooner or later though); we generate 50% of our power through nuclear, something like 20% through various renewable options and the rest through coal/gas. We are however in the process of adding more reactors (we bloody well better, or my degree will be pretty useless) and we always seem to have some new green energy plan in the works.

Sorry for the lack of sources, everything I found seemed outdated.

Oh and Ron Paul.

You mean RON PAUL 2012 LITERALLY SO BRAVE?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00:00 pm »

Someone remind me how you guys got stuck with this simpering douchebag as a legitimate candidate?

The only other "viable" candidates were the Pokemon and Simcity-obsessed pizza guy, the philanderer name after an amphibian with a messianic complex, the guy named after anal secretions, and the chick who is apparently channeling the spirit of a gay serial killer. Oh and Ron Paul.

I'm really hoping all those theories about the legitimate Republican politicians waiting until 2016 to run are true. I need some of my faith in the American political process to be restored after this past year and a half.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: October 16, 2012, 10:03:22 pm »

The only other "viable" candidates were the Pokemon and Simcity-obsessed pizza guy, the philanderer name after an amphibian with a messianic complex, the guy named after anal secretions, and the chick who is apparently channeling the spirit of a gay serial killer. Oh and Ron Paul.
You forgot Poland Perry. Who was viable up until the moment he opened his mouth on stage, and everyone realized, "Holy shit, that dude's lit up like a Christmas tree."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: October 16, 2012, 10:05:16 pm »

Crowley just could not control those two, though she was really giving it her best shot.  I think R. Lee Ermey should moderate debates like these from now on. 

"GOVERNOR!  YOU WILL SIT DOWN OR I WILL RIP YOUR EYEBALLS OUT AND..." well you can imagine.
Kind of unfair, though. Obama is Commander-in-Chief, so Ermey wouldn't yell at him or give him orders at all.

Romney, on the other hand, would be verbally eviscerated in such a manner that historians would compare the results to that of the French Revolution in significance.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: October 16, 2012, 10:05:49 pm »

Dude, I would have quit my job and gone on tour as a roadie for Huntsman/Colbert.

Redking, become an politics.  DO IT NOW!  America needs you!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: October 16, 2012, 10:09:04 pm »

I liked the parts where they sputtered at eachother. We're getting back to our roots here, With Parliamentary politics! Emphasis on the hilariously pathetic attempts at order by the big man around 1:25

Honestly, I think Obama won because this time he actually forced his point out around the Romney rhetoric's Hot-air balloon. They won't be able to quote mine this one for nearly as many Uhhs, Umms, and Huhs, whereas Obama can pull out that nifty little bit about Libya.

I would go into politics but America wouldn't react well to my Cultural Revolution.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: October 16, 2012, 10:13:03 pm »

I'm glad someone finally called Romney on at least SOME of his BS as well... even if it was, of all things, the moderator.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: October 16, 2012, 10:14:24 pm »

I'm glad someone finally called Romney on at least SOME of his BS as well... even if it was, of all things, the moderator.
Best thing I've ever seen in an election ever.

Even better than the wacko going "HHHHHHRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: October 16, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »

Romney bald faced lies - obama never tried to push any immigration legislation? What was the DREAM Act then? I'm surprised Obama didn't nail that point as an outright lie, but I guess there could have been some strategy there too.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: October 16, 2012, 10:39:46 pm »

Numbers say Obama led 7% overall and a whopping 22% among undecideds. Considering the larger Republican turn out for these things, that's a pretty strong win, I think.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: October 16, 2012, 10:40:55 pm »

My father says it was a tie. Note he's a diehard republican, and he really likes Romney, so that's pretty much the best he'd ever give Obama. I'd call that a win.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: October 16, 2012, 10:41:52 pm »

Anyone have a full recording up yet? Internets didn't really agree with me streaming it live.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: October 16, 2012, 10:52:32 pm »

They need the sound that plays on Jeopardy when your time runs out for these debates.

I'm watching it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEpCrcMF5Ps&hd=1
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:09 pm »

OK, I was playing the DJ tonight and deliberately stayed afterwards to get drunk instead of watching the tail end of the debate*. But I've glanced at a couple of liveblogs and these suggest Romney actually tried to claim credit for his time as a Mormon missionary and minister. I've been keeping track and he hasn't really played these up on the national stage before this. The missionary part... well, he played missionary during Vietnam by going to France. The minister... I actually have sympathy for this, and can't imagine having such real human contact making anyone less suited to the presidency, but such a position within the Mormon church is bound to hurt with evangelical and even mainline American Christians.

*Years of drunk typing experience, many of them for credit, have taught me to do it without the usual giveaway typos.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 714