Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717338 times)

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7605 on: November 01, 2012, 05:42:02 pm »

So, Obama only needed to get a single Republican vote to get a bill passed. Surely he could have compromised enough to get a single vote.

Maybe, just maybe the republicans are obstructionists who would never support Obama no matter what?  Here's a handy way to see if they are.  We look for major legislation proposed by Obama that was based on republican ideas and see how they react to it.  This would be the 100% compromise position, where there was literally no room left for Obama to compromise.

So there was this law proposed by the heritage foundation, introduced by Bob Dole and reintroduced by Barack Obama.  It's called the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.  Seeing as this is a democrat proposing an idea based 100% on conservative principals... what sort of reception did it get?  Oh yeah, they called it fascism.

The reason Obama couldn't get 1 republican Senator on board is because there is not 1 republican Senator with integrity.  Every single one of them put party before country.  Every single one.

But I'm sure it's Obama's fault that republicans care more about their party then their country.

The Democrats are far more concerned about what is best for the Democratic Party than what is best for the country.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: November 01, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »

Would you care to, say, qualify any of your statements?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7607 on: November 01, 2012, 05:44:21 pm »

The problem with that "if" is that the republican congress explicitly stated that any compromise would require 100% acceptance of their proposal and 0% acceptance of democratic proposal.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: November 01, 2012, 05:47:49 pm »

Which one? It is well known that the House has passed budgets every year and the Senate hasn't . Do a little research yourself.

Ok, here is one. You cab find many more:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/09/20/Republican-Senators-Assail-Democrats-For-Planning-To-Adjourn-Without-Passing-Budget-For-Third-Consecutive-Year

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: November 01, 2012, 05:49:42 pm »

That looks like an absolutely fair, unbiased source.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: November 01, 2012, 05:51:39 pm »

That looks like an absolutely fair, unbiased source.

I just did a quick Google search. Do I need to post a 'Let me Google that for you' Link? This isn't something Democrats deny.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: November 01, 2012, 05:53:01 pm »

The deniable part is that it's the Democrats' fault - I suppose it sort of is, for letting the GOP bullies in the playground tell them what to do.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: November 01, 2012, 05:53:56 pm »

The problem with that "if" is that the republican congress explicitly stated that any compromise would require 100% acceptance of their proposal and 0% acceptance of democratic proposal.

Seriously. Saying you're going to compromise and doing such are two completely different things. Anyone who claims the GOP-controlled House hasn't been focused on obstructionist party politics is in dire need of reeducation on how our entire fucking government works.

No, he won't, because he's blowing hot air out of his ass for the sake of spewing more party patriotism out there. I think it gives people a sense of meaning to do such, I can't tell you why.

Which one? It is well known that the House has passed budgets every year and the Senate hasn't . Do a little research yourself.

Ok, here is one. You cab find many more:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/09/20/Republican-Senators-Assail-Democrats-For-Planning-To-Adjourn-Without-Passing-Budget-For-Third-Consecutive-Year

Here's the thing, kiddo.
Passing a budget that you know will fail is masturbatory.

[See: all those 'Budgets' forced out of the house that are ideological scripts, passed (in a masturbatory fashion [aka 'Freedom and Jobs Bill for America']) to bitch and whine that the president won't compromise with their wingnut cutting]

I'd like for you to go through, well, any of the past three years' GOP "budget" bills and tell me why we should adopt it. Go ahead, tell me.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: November 01, 2012, 06:00:50 pm »

The Democrats are far more concerned about what is best for the Democratic Party than what is best for the country.

Then please offer an example of the republicans offering a major piece of legislation that was based on liberal ideas and the democrats rejecting it on a lockstep vote.  Heck, just give me an example of the republicans offering a major piece of legislation that was based on liberal ideas.

See we can actually look at the facts... and the facts have a liberal bias.

This bias is why I never chose to be a liberal.  The republican party decided that I would have to be by declaring war on my kind.  If you are LBGT and love numbers and science then their platform is basically a coordinated attempt to drive you from the party.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:05:04 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: November 01, 2012, 06:06:33 pm »

Political parties are political parties. I dunno how accurate the "party is more important that the country" accusation is for each party, but I do know that such an argument doesn't excuse something. "The Democrats are just like the Republicans with their partisan bullshit" is a potentially fair accusation, but even if it were accurate, it would not in any way shape or form excuse the Republicans. It's just make the Democrats bad too.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: November 01, 2012, 06:09:36 pm »

No, he won't, because he's blowing hot air out of his ass for the sake of spewing more party patriotism out there. I think it gives people a sense of meaning to do such, I can't tell you why.
I'd like for you to go through, well, any of the past three years' GOP "budget" bills and tell me why we should adopt it. Go ahead, tell me.

Which statement would you like me to qualify?

And, at least the House passed budgets. The Senate hasn't for three years even though they could have passed one with 51 votes.

It's not surprising you insulted me. I can often tell when a liberal is losing a debate -- they resort to name calling and personal insults. Why can't you just try to use logic, intelligence, and facts to debate in a mature manner without insulting me? You don't have to answer that, by the way. I already know the answer.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: November 01, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »

Political parties are political parties. I dunno how accurate the "party is more important that the country" accusation is for each party, but I do know that such an argument doesn't excuse something. "The Democrats are just like the Republicans with their partisan bullshit" is a potentially fair accusation, but even if it were accurate, it would not in any way shape or form excuse the Republicans. It's just make the Democrats bad too.

You make a good point. I was just substituting Republican with Democrat and repeating what he said. Was half expecting people to then criticize what I said without criticizing what he said. Unlike most people, I really do think there are a lot of good Democrats as well as a lot of good Republicans in Congress.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:16:35 pm by Kon »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: November 01, 2012, 06:14:12 pm »

Dear god, you're a moron. I'm a conservative. Quantify your previous horseshit and I'll consider you worth arguing with, all you're doing is spewing unverified, ridiculous statements and falling back to 'Oh wah, you're a mean Liberal!' when I don't agree with your hollow ideological rhetoric.

Tell me what was good about the House's 'budget' proposals, once again.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: November 01, 2012, 06:18:20 pm »

I'm a conservative.
Dun dun DUUUUNNNN.

I'm so sorry.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: November 01, 2012, 06:19:07 pm »

While healthy political debate is a good thing, let's stop with the name calling. Last thing we need is people getting riled up enough to cause Toady to waste his time by having to come in and moderate things in here.

Citations, though, are a good thing. Everyone should use them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 714