Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720726 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #8010 on: November 05, 2012, 01:37:31 pm »

Map of poll closing times for future reference, all times listed as EST.

Map
That isn't a very useful map, since the times are all EST instead of in local times. I could see a fair number of people going "Oh, we can vote till 9PM", but then getting there and having the polling location closed for the past hour instead of open a hour longer.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: November 05, 2012, 01:39:02 pm »

It's useful for knowing when election results will start being reported, which is what it's purpose is.  People should really check their local news and sites for their own state's local times.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: November 05, 2012, 01:41:06 pm »

Trollheiming, let's make a bet. If Romney win, I'll sport a pro-romney avatar for the next year, if Obama win, I4ll choose a pro-Obama avatar for ya. How does it sound?

Kon, the offer is open to you too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: November 05, 2012, 01:42:15 pm »

The one thing you can say about Romney is that he has a plan of action. The Obama administration had to squeeze their "plan" out after the third debate, and this is a guy who's in the hot seat for four years. And he publishes his plan after being hectored about having no plans.

So it's Romney going in for the big win tomorrow! Big win. You heard it here first.

Hitler also had a "plan of action" when he invaded Russia. Look how that worked.

Nobody's debating that he has a plan, but they're arguing his plan sucks. It's just more of the same policies that caused the meltdown. How can you fix the meltdown by doubling down on the same policies?

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: November 05, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »

Really, Reelya?  A Godwin?  You're better than that. :P

And I think it's official, Trollheiming lives in his own little fantasy land.  "Big win"?  Seriously?  Big means over 55%+ either way, and that isn't going to happen in this political environment.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: November 05, 2012, 01:47:00 pm »

Holiday elections have not produced significant results in areas that they have been tested, and mail-in balloting sounds like it would be kind of difficult with that whole thing about your ballot being secret and anonymous.

I know we talked about this before, but I remember no one providing an example of a place that actually had "real" holiday elections being ineffective. They had state holiday elections being ineffective, from the states, but of course those are ineffective - for one thing, they aren't real holidays, and people don't get them off work, which is the whole point of the idea. (Unless you are a state employee, who is already not going to have a problem here. Its almost always floated specifically as a way to help the people who are least effected by state holidays, too, so not a real comparison.)

A federal holiday is something very very different, and you'd probably have to find an example in another country to demonstrate whether it is or is not effective (I honestly don't know) and I think that's where we last left the issue, without anyone being able to find a difference one way or another.

As for mail in ballots, there are states now which do the bulk of their ballots as mail-in, it hasn't been an issue so far as far as being secret and anonymous is concerned.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: November 05, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »

The Russia invasion gag was too good to pass on, I could easily put Napoleon in there instead, if it makes any difference.

Is it still a Godwin if you invoke Stalin / Mao / Napoleon etc?

BTW: I'm mystified why you guys don't just pick the first Saturday in November as the official date. Voting on a workday is just insanity.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:50:06 pm by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: November 05, 2012, 01:48:18 pm »

No, only nazis.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: November 05, 2012, 01:50:20 pm »

Trollheiming, let's make a bet. If Romney win, I'll sport a pro-romney avatar for the next year, if Obama win, I4ll choose a pro-Obama avatar for ya. How does it sound?

Kon, the offer is open to you too.

That's a bet
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: November 05, 2012, 01:52:12 pm »

Really, Reelya?  A Godwin?  You're better than that. :P

And I think it's official, Trollheiming lives in his own little fantasy land.  "Big win"?  Seriously?  Big means over 55%+ either way, and that isn't going to happen in this political environment.

I predict 51% to 47%, Romney
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: November 05, 2012, 01:53:20 pm »

Popular vote or electoral college?

Because a popular vote difference of that amount doesn't actually mean a Romney victory with the current layout.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: November 05, 2012, 01:57:49 pm »

Yeah, why don't you guys just vote on Sunday?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: November 05, 2012, 01:58:03 pm »

That's at least a reasonable popular vote total.  A "big" win is unlikely either way, and since we're doing predictions.

Electoral:
Obama 303, Romney 235 Map
Popular:
Obama 50%, Romney 48%, Other 2%
Senate:
Democrats 54, Republicans 45, Other 1 (Ds pick up MA, NV, IN) (Rs pick up NE) (I pick up ME)
House:
Democrats+10 (Breakdown 230 R, 200 D)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: November 05, 2012, 01:58:25 pm »

Well, Sunday would never work because it's the Lord's day, and half the country would have a cow.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:28 pm »

The Russia invasion gag was too good to pass on, I could easily put Napoleon in there instead, if it makes any difference.

Is it still a Godwin if you invoke Stalin / Mao / Napoleon etc?

BTW: I'm mystified why you guys don't just pick the first Saturday in November as the official date. Voting on a workday is just insanity.
Actually, it's only a Godwin if you invoke it without reason. For example, the previous comment would not be a Godwin if Romney's plans were similair to those of Hitler. (So if Romney's plan for economic revival is attacking Russia, or something else.)

Belgium's not a good example either, with voting being mandatory.  Prevents all that idiotism with states deliberately sabotaging people from voting(early) and such.

Need to apply for extra forms and such, or so I understand. It's apparently a republican ploy to prevent Early voting as much as possible (Because Obama gets his votes from the working class, amongst others.)
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 714