Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717560 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9015 on: November 08, 2012, 01:07:58 pm »

Generally going to college opens you up to new ideas, making you question things like church and the firery pits of hell and whatnot.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9016 on: November 08, 2012, 01:09:46 pm »

Well, no. But it's no great leap of logic to think that a proper college education, with exposure to history, art, science, (i.e. the liberal arts) as well as being in close contact and forming friendships with a variety of people from different backgrounds, does have an effect of broadening one's outlook. At least, until they move back home. I've seen a fair number of folks from my high school who got college edumacated, but once they moved back to Podunkville, turned right back into closed-minded bigots. Lot easier to do that when the people around you agree.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: November 08, 2012, 01:10:36 pm »

So do more liberals pursue education, or does education make people more liberal?

The education system makes them more liberal, because the professors are overwhelmingly liberal. You get taught what to think.

I totally get that you're masturbating over the idea that you're smarter than a faceless Other because you belong to a group that's more trendy among educated people. But the reality is that you're probably of average intelligence. Emphasis on group identification is not intellect. It's tribalism.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: November 08, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »

So do more liberals pursue education, or does education make people more liberal?

The education system makes them more liberal, because the professors are overwhelmingly liberal. You get taught what to think.

I totally get that you're masturbating over the idea that you're smarter than a faceless Other because you belong to a group that's more trendy among educated people. But the reality is that you're probably of average intelligence. Emphasis on group identification is not intellect. It's tribalism.

Serves me right for asking an honest question :-\
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: November 08, 2012, 01:15:24 pm »

I don't see what intelligence has to do with this.
the argument was about education. they are 2 different and mostly unrelated things. education may train intelligence, sure. but many things do.
what education does is teaching you stuff.

( just saying this because I am annoyed by people who say " oh, he knows so many things, he is smart!". no, just remembering stuff doesn't mean you are smart. it means, at most, that you have good memory)

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9020 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:04 pm »

Well, no. But it's no great leap of logic to think that a proper college education, with exposure to history, art, science, (i.e. the liberal arts) as well as being in close contact and forming friendships with a variety of people from different backgrounds, does have an effect of broadening one's outlook. At least, until they move back home. I've seen a fair number of folks from my high school who got college edumacated, but once they moved back to Podunkville, turned right back into closed-minded bigots. Lot easier to do that when the people around you agree.

So they abruptly forgot their edumacation when they moved back? Lol. Either it's the education or it's the social environment. And you just said that it wasn't the education. What you mean is that people conform to their peer groups. Roundabout way of confirming that it has nothing to do with education proper and more to do with seeking approval of peer groups, but yeah.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: November 08, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »

what is going on now

if you all voted for the same guy why is there arguments
My wooden badge was delicious.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9022 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »

It is plausible that one option is better than the other, and that education makes you better able to collect data, filter out inaccurate information, and make decisions based off of that.

To clarify here, I voted for Jill Stein, so I'm not exactly Obama-biased, so I say this in the broader defense of liberalism; if you look at at the consequences of what conservatives propose, such as the austerity of Greece or the free-market of Somalia, or the environmental "regulation" of China, or the "respect" for religion of Russia... and compare that to countries and policies of a remarkably liberal outlook, such as Iceland's banking regulations, Britain's health care, Denmark's education system... you see a strong correlation between liberal politics and, to put it in the most generic terms, good things.

So perhaps there is a reason that better-educated people prefer liberalism, beyond a sad-sounding and obvious cry of conspiracy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: November 08, 2012, 01:20:08 pm »

Serves me right for asking an honest question :-\

Sorry, but it's the kind of thing that misguided elitists smugly do ask rhetorically to pleasure themselves. I didn't realize you were actually being earnest.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: November 08, 2012, 01:22:44 pm »

I question why this thread is still open. Post-elections, the arguments are going to be even less meaningful than they were before the elections.

Case in point, above.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9025 on: November 08, 2012, 01:23:35 pm »

So they abruptly forgot their edumacation when they moved back? Lol. Either it's the education or it's the social environment. And you just said that it wasn't the education. What you mean is that people conform to their peer groups. Roundabout way of confirming that it has nothing to do with education proper and more to do with seeking approval of peer groups, but yeah.

Mostly they don't move back, because the Red States are hillbilly hell-holes. Those with potential move out of the backwards places, like Alabama, or India, to the places that offer education, then they get jobs THERE. Few people from Alabama who go to Harvard would move BACK to Alabama. A Harvard degree just wouldn't earn you the same money in Alabama as it would in, I don't know, a place that has money.

But there's a definite peer-pressure effect, even if you might know better, it's easier to go along with what everyone around you is saying. e.g. if you're surrounded by Klan members, are you going to stick up for civil rights? Uneducated peer group. I came from a country town and have a college education, but I wouldn't bother having an in-depth intellectual discussion with anyone from my hometown because frankly most of them are pig-ignorant.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:31:26 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: November 08, 2012, 01:25:28 pm »

A fair point. So then liberal peer groups encourage seeking more education? While conservative peer groups encourage....what, more Biblefication? Or maybe they shun education because they "know with their gut"?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9027 on: November 08, 2012, 01:27:31 pm »

I question why this thread is still open. Post-elections, the arguments are going to be even less meaningful than they were before the elections.

Case in point, above.
Oi, that's it.

Also, a Hyptothetical question. What would have happened if the the economical crisis had never been. Were would we be know. What would the impact of [Insert name here]'s death have been...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: November 08, 2012, 01:29:13 pm »

what is going on now

if you all voted for the same guy why is there arguments

I'm pretty sure most of us voted for different people, actually. I don't think any candidate got a majority of the bay12 election thread vote.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9029 on: November 08, 2012, 01:30:09 pm »

I don't think any candidate got a majority of the bay12 election thread vote.
Even though I keep telling people to vote Cfoofoo. Tututut...
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 714