Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720705 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9180 on: November 10, 2012, 04:53:59 pm »

But yeah, the Republicans really need to rebrand, or they'll collapse. Personally I hope they collapse. It'd be interesting to watch the political landscape realign.

As much as I dislike both parties, I suspect that the wholesale collapse of one of the parties would be a disaster in the present political landscape. For all their problems, at least they are sufficiently evenly balanced to keep their opposite number from going too far in pushing it's agenda ahead. If either collapsed and the electoral system remained as it stands right now, it would be trivial for the remaining "big party" to ram through whatever it felt like ramming through.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: November 10, 2012, 04:56:06 pm »

The Democrats are capable of some stupidity, but nothing like what the Republicans try to do constantly, even when they're out of power. I would accept a Democrat supermajority for an election cycle or two if it meant being rid of our current breed of Republican.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: November 10, 2012, 05:03:52 pm »

Besides which, the Democrats are a coalition. Even if the GOP collapsed, it would be very difficult for the Dems to push any one agenda, as their support base is widely divided on almost all issues.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9183 on: November 10, 2012, 05:05:34 pm »

**Though as far as I'm aware Rock and Roll is totally legal everywhere.

Not on broadcast/non-satellite radio. Not the good heavy metal songs at any rate; the ones with the swearing and the disturbing imagery.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9184 on: November 10, 2012, 05:05:57 pm »

Besides which, if the republicans collapse, the democrats will probably follow suit as the various factions within start peeling off and looking for better alliances.

ninja-d! I totally wrote this post before Lord Shonus, if that means anything.

damnit, stop that.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9185 on: November 10, 2012, 05:06:09 pm »

Finally, someone is getting ppunished for the republicans ridiculously high pre-election polls.

I mean, they were predicting Romney would win 325 electoral votes. Think about how wrong that is. It is the exact opposite of reality.

Besides which, the Democrats are a coalition. Even if the GOP collapsed, it would be very difficult for the Dems to push any one agenda, as their support base is widely divided on almost all issues.
My favorite Political Joke: "Democrats are the party of no ideas, and republicans are the party of bad ideas."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:12:52 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: November 10, 2012, 05:07:16 pm »

You parsed the quote tree wrong!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: November 10, 2012, 05:09:44 pm »

ninja-d! I totally wrote this post before Lord Shonus, if that means anything.
damnit, stop that.

I think that's worth a signature.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: November 10, 2012, 05:12:43 pm »

You parsed the quote tree wrong!
Alright fixed.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: November 10, 2012, 05:17:44 pm »

That would probably be the ideal result, but partisanship is quite high these days, and I can't help but think of examples where the modestly Democratic district votes straight party Democrat even when the candidate is clearly a gigantic crook/sellout/etc.

Actually, that's a huge problem in states overwhelmingly controlled by one party or the other. Take Texas, for instance. It's pretty well owned by the Republicans right now, and voters almost always vote on party lines, not ideology. So what keeps happening there is that the Democratic districts vote in Democrats and then a lot of the safely Republican districts vote in oddly moderate Republicans solely because they're incumbents running as Republicans. The opposite is the case in states like, say, Oregon or even Vermont.

Inversely, sometimes the "swing" states have far more ideologically pure candidates despite nominally being moderate. New Hampshire in particular has a legislature filled with alternating right wing and left wing radicals depending on election season. Incumbents are regularly kicked out, and neither party is capable of completely pushing its own agenda.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: November 10, 2012, 05:21:07 pm »

I have to say, it seems that the majority of my schoolmates in our mock election who voted for Mitt Romney, simply on the basis that he was planning on Legalizing Marijuana.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: November 10, 2012, 05:22:38 pm »

It's disappointing how many people would vote somebody on the basis of agreeing on a single issue regardless of their other policies.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: November 10, 2012, 05:22:45 pm »

My favorite Political Joke: "Democrats are the party of no ideas, and republicans are the party of bad ideas."

This is one of my favorite quotes too.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: November 10, 2012, 05:23:56 pm »

When I was in Kindergarten I voted for Gore in the mock election based off of the criteria that I thought he had better hair than Bush.

But then, when I was older, I went back and looked at the election, and I was right, he did have better hair than Bush!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9194 on: November 10, 2012, 05:25:29 pm »

The reason I added that was because our posts were very similar, even featuring the same language.

as for quotes, I gotta go with "I am not a member of an organized political party. I am a Democrat."

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 714