Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717492 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9195 on: November 10, 2012, 05:32:08 pm »

When I was in Kindergarten I voted for Gore in the mock election based off of the criteria that I thought he had better hair than Bush.

But then, when I was older, I went back and looked at the election, and I was right, he did have better hair than Bush!

Oh hey, I remember the last mock election.

I was gonna vote NDP because none of the cool little parties were running, but then a girl I knew tried to make me vote Conservative so I flipped a coin and went Conservative. The NDP won anyway and the Liberals got creamed in my "district". Oh, and the provincial Objectivist party did absurdly well for some reason.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: November 10, 2012, 08:12:32 pm »

@dhokarena:
I loved your avatar, but I suppose Toady made you take it down.
Not that I'm comparing Obama and Hitler, there are countless differences. For example, Hitler was a lot more popular.

Im pretty sure that dhokarena's avatar was tongue-in-cheak, to parody exactly what you just did.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: November 10, 2012, 10:55:24 pm »

It was related to the avatar bet, I do believe, and I also think that is exactly the joke.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: November 11, 2012, 12:32:50 am »

My High School in Solid-Red Tennessee went for Obama in our mock election.

Then again, only about 50% of the students actually voted.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: November 11, 2012, 12:38:06 am »

Huh... do we actually have any good voter turnout numbers/comparisons yet?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9200 on: November 11, 2012, 12:38:32 am »

When I was in Kindergarten I voted for Gore in the mock election based off of the criteria that I thought he had better hair than Bush.

But then, when I was older, I went back and looked at the election, and I was right, he did have better hair than Bush!
I...I was 17 when that election took place. WTF, man? Y U SO YOUNG!?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9201 on: November 11, 2012, 12:42:50 am »

Earliest election I really remember was the 2004 one. Prior to that I didn't really pay attention at all and had no opinion.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: November 11, 2012, 12:55:25 am »

Both on and offline, everyone thinks I'm so much older than I am. I got mistaken for a college graduate the day I graduated high school when I went to get a haircut.

I guess I can see it offline, what with the premature grey, being six feet tall, having permanent 5 o'clock shadow, the extensive and esoteric vocabulary, the super baritone, and my fucking awesome heavy coat, but I don't know why everyone online thinks I'm older.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: November 11, 2012, 01:01:08 am »

Inversely, sometimes the "swing" states have far more ideologically pure candidates despite nominally being moderate. New Hampshire in particular has a legislature filled with alternating right wing and left wing radicals depending on election season. Incumbents are regularly kicked out, and neither party is capable of completely pushing its own agenda.

Have I mentioned New Hampshire is pretty much my favourite state ever?

Both on and offline, everyone thinks I'm so much older than I am. I got mistaken for a college graduate the day I graduated high school when I went to get a haircut.

I guess I can see it offline, what with the premature grey, being six feet tall, having permanent 5 o'clock shadow, the extensive and esoteric vocabulary, the super baritone, and my fucking awesome heavy coat, but I don't know why everyone online thinks I'm older.

I get that too. I mentioned I can't buy booze the other day and someone's jaw almost fell off. They thought I was somewhere in my early-mid 20s, not 18. IIRC they said 23.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: November 11, 2012, 01:03:42 am »

Opposite problem, despite premature grey, perma-5-o-clock shadow, spectacular vernacular (I know that that isn't quite right, but I'm willing to forsake a little bit of meaning for an awesome rhyme,)  nicely deep voice, and obviously expensive eyewear. Thanks a lot, being fucking five feet tall.

The other day, I got asked what High School I attend. I graduated High School 12 years ago. FFFFFFFFFFF...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9205 on: November 11, 2012, 01:10:31 am »

I get that too. I mentioned I can't buy booze the other day and someone's jaw almost fell off. They thought I was somewhere in my early-mid 20s, not 18. IIRC they said 23.
Yeah, I've been accidentally offered alcohol at a sports bar before. What irony that I don't drink and yet have the ability to not set off the carding instincts of other people. I'm pretty sure my roommate would kill for my appearance. I've never seen even five o'clock shadow on him, and while he owns a razor I've never seen him use it. He's 18 going on 16, I'm apparently 18 going on 25.

The effect is even more magnified when its just my audio, I have been told many times over the internet that I sound like a 40 year old smoker. I do inexplicably have a gritty cough for no reason, so I guess I can see why.
Opposite problem, despite premature grey, perma-5-o-clock shadow, spectacular vernacular (I know that that isn't quite right, but I'm willing to forsake a little bit of meaning for an awesome rhyme,)  nicely deep voice, and obviously expensive eyewear. Thanks a lot, being fucking five feet tall.
And so the similarities continue to pile up...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: November 11, 2012, 03:31:13 am »

I was also 17, and taking government class in my senior year of high school.  It fucking horrified me.  The teacher asked people who they were going to vote for and why (most of the class was 18+).  I think about 3/4 of the class responded that they would vote for Bush because "He seems like your average guy that you'd meet at a bar and have a drink with."  Back then, this kind of stupidity was surprising to me.

Speaking properly, even in text, goes a loooong way.  Majority of kids that I encounter these days don't even bother to use complete words, whether speaking or writing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9207 on: November 11, 2012, 05:42:48 am »

This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9208 on: November 11, 2012, 05:47:29 am »

So apparently Romney's voters are mostly old, rich, white males who practice Mormonism? Seems about right.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #9209 on: November 11, 2012, 07:26:50 am »

Yeah, I was kinda wondering who voted Romney, since even tho Obama is a shadow of himself from 4 years ago, he was getting most of the votes from Latin Americans and black people, and overally from most of all social groups.
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 714