Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717547 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9315 on: November 12, 2012, 02:14:01 pm »

And soldier's take their order from politicians, who are accountable to the will of the people, who are accountable to their own free will.

Do you blame the sword for the hand that wields it, or just want that damn sword to be the most efficient killing machine available?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: November 12, 2012, 02:15:12 pm »

Heh, dont blame the sword for its sharpness. Blame the person who holds it.

Damn, ninja'ed
This is a blank sig.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: November 12, 2012, 02:18:26 pm »

Also academic physics ended WWII

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: November 12, 2012, 02:20:06 pm »

Also academic physics ended WWII

OK, fine, its a deal. I shall make the doomsday device, and Strife can wield it.
This is a blank sig.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: November 12, 2012, 02:21:49 pm »

Must've missed that new rule about only arguing with confused metaphors.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: November 12, 2012, 02:23:52 pm »

And soldier's take their order from politicians, who are accountable to the will of the people, who are accountable to their own free will.

Do you blame the sword for the hand that wields it, or just want that damn sword to be the most efficient killing machine available?

That's irrelevant. By being part of the military, you are complicit in what it does. If everyone refused to join or be drafted, there would be no war.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: November 12, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »

Academic physics doesn't cause millions of deaths.
Don't say that he's hypocritical
 Rather say that he's apolitical
 "Vunce ze rockets are up, who cares vere zey come down
 "Zats not mein department!" says Werner von Braun

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: November 12, 2012, 02:31:10 pm »

It's perfectly relevant, Eagle.

I damn straight complicit in what my country does and tells me to do. The point is that I'd happily drive shooting over a fair number of moral event horizons if that's what I was told to do (now, to be honest, there's obviously limits to what I'd consider a legal order, but for the purposes of this discussion, we can ignore these extreme cases because I'm, without a doubt, going to lean on the side of "shoot it to make sure," and therefore on the wrong end of morality), that's why there's civilians at the top of the chain of command. 

There exists times where naked military force is necessary
It is better for this force to be overwhelming
Overwhelming force requires the best soldiers and doctrine possible
It's impossible to be a truly good soldier without aggression and understanding
--> Effectively, loving war to some extent
Soldier's can *not* have an unbiased view, so we need to take orders from someone

So yeah, I'm complicit, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I swore to follow my lawful orders and to protect my scrap of paper. However, all that I care about is that my orders come from higher up. If I'm dammed, I dammed for it, but that's life. 

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: November 12, 2012, 02:33:52 pm »

That's irrelevant. By being part of the military, you are complicit in what it does. If everyone refused to join or be drafted, there would be no war.
Well, that's the - quite frankly naive - pacifist argument: If nobody did it, there would be no problem. It's the fault that is present in Kant's ethics: Deontological ethics is fine as an approximation, but morality ultimately has to be teleological - in a widened sense, that is; if needed, I can go into more detail. The only limit to a soldier's willingness to carry out orders must be the most basic moral principle: The regard for human dignity that sometimes makes war necessary.
So yeah, we want as sharp as possible swords, we want someone sensible to have control over them, and we do not want to use them - they have to be (and are) a last resort. And, thanks to MAD, academic physics has given us a sword that is near perfect for most of the really dangerous situations.
All that's not to say that one should not care about war and peace; but one should care on the political and not on the military level.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: November 12, 2012, 02:34:14 pm »

Evidence of fraud:
It's not exactly unheard of for Mittens to get 0% in a vote. Remember this poll?

Note that your second link says...

05 = Barack Obama/Joe Biden (DEM)             420,953   68.74
06 = Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan (REP)              184,475   30.12

...for the state. That's not exactly 100%. There were quite a few area where Romney only got a handful of votes (541 to 4 in one such area) but also quite a few areas where they only differed by a hundred votes or so. I don't know about Cleveland, but here's how my college voted, according to student polling:

(D) Barack Obama: 90%
(R) Mitt Romney: 4%
(G) Jill Stein: 4%
Other: 2%

Cleveland probably isn't as liberal in its entirety, but some districts might be.

I'm sure Pundit Press is wholly unbiased anyway.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: November 12, 2012, 02:34:40 pm »

War is not the worst outcome though. In fact, sometimes war is preferable.

To paraphrase RvB
"I don't kill people for fun, it's my job."
"But you like killing people!"
"Well, I think it's important to enjoy what you do."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: November 12, 2012, 02:38:17 pm »

Thing is, what if you are deceived, or believe so much in something, you believe it's worth killing for?

Well, that's a religious question, isn't it? I put my trust in the United States, and until I find reason to change it, that's where it is.

Myself, I'd fully expect to be giving a reckoning for those sins at the pearly gates, assuming that I don't end up in Fiddler's Green.

Well, that's the - quite frankly naive - pacifist argument: If nobody did it, there would be no problem. It's the fault that is present in Kant's ethics: Deontological ethics is fine as an approximation, but morality ultimately has to be teleological - in a widened sense, that is; if needed, I can go into more detail. The only limit to a soldier's willingness to carry out orders must be the most basic moral principle: The regard for human dignity that sometimes makes war necessary.
So yeah, we want as sharp as possible swords, we want someone sensible to have control over them, and we do not want to use them - they have to be (and are) a last resort. And, thanks to MAD, academic physics has given us a sword that is near perfect for most of the really dangerous situations.
All that's not to say that one should not care about war and peace; but one should care on the political and not on the military level.

Yeah, that's putting it pretty elegantly. Of course, I don't really know if I can buy it completely, considering how much fucked up shit happens all over the world by poorly led, poorly trained, generally evil, types being the preeminent military force, but my judgement's certainly flawed.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: November 12, 2012, 02:42:52 pm »

Evidence of fraud:
It's not exactly unheard of for Mittens to get 0% in a vote. Remember this poll?

Note that your second link says...

05 = Barack Obama/Joe Biden (DEM)             420,953   68.74
06 = Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan (REP)              184,475   30.12

...for the state. That's not exactly 100%. There were quite a few area where Romney only got a handful of votes (541 to 4 in one such area) but also quite a few areas where they only differed by a hundred votes or so. I don't know about Cleveland, but here's how my college voted, according to student polling:

(D) Barack Obama: 90%
(R) Mitt Romney: 4%
(G) Jill Stein: 4%
Other: 2%

Cleveland probably isn't as liberal in its entirety, but some districts might be.

I'm sure Pundit Press is wholly unbiased anyway.

I was mocking them actually, for highlighting the "precinct" where Obama got 100% of the votes with 100% turnout, and neglecting to mention that only 2 people voted there. So their bias is pretty clear. One "precinct" had zero voters. I'm guessing it actually is a table of voting places?

Both the cities they're claiming fraud in (Cleveland and Philadelphia) have an exceptionally high black population, so is it that hard to believe? XD
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:46:40 pm by Reelya »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: November 12, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »

Must've missed that new rule about only arguing with confused metaphors.

Well yeah, let's be honest here, I doubt more than one or two of us has done the kind of research necessary to debate anything we've said as an expert party. Everything else is just word games, fun, and philosophy.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9329 on: November 12, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »

* Nadaka Raises hand.

Degree in computer science with a heavy emphasis on chemistry and geology.

Petrochem industry was a backup plan considering how big it is in southern Louisiana/Mississippi.

Right now I write software managing hazmat and hazwaste along with reports, forecasts, and such for the USAF.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I can and have done the basic math on the energy issues we were discussing.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 714