Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721143 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9360 on: November 12, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »

Uniting to fight "that other guy" is pretty much never a good thing, at least when it comes to stuff like this. That sort of unity is fragile and based upon hatred.
No, No. Did I mention it was that nationalism that united Italy from fragmented city-states? Because it was. And germany, in that same time period, went from 36 various kingdoms to 1.

Nationalism can be good too. Started the American revolutionary war, united Germany, Italy, freed various contries from empires. It's people who take it too far who are the problem.

Minor difference between nationalism and patriotism.

Nationalism is my country right or wrong.

Patriotism is my country because it is right.
No. No. No. Those are the same things. I could easily use either to start a war, or a revolution. the american revolution was nationalistic, despite what they say. In fact, I find it a piece of unbeilevable hypocrasy that the US has no "nationalism", that scary word, only patriotism. Nationalism, ended the empires which oppresed most of europe. It was Nationalistic sentiment that helped end communist Rule is various parts of the Former Soviet union. Nationalism is not all evil.

The american revolution was a rich person's tax revolt that got carried away. Nationalism didn't end imperialism in Europe, it strengthened it. You're right in that nationalism united germany. This is the same Germany that had a temper tantrum every 20 years or so until the end of WWII. Italy after unification was a near-absolute monarchy as well.  Nationalism prolonged the existence of the British Empire by providing a constant influx of fresh recruits for occupation. The end of "communist"(Thinly veiled fascism) rule in eastern europe was not nationalist in origin. The people behind Solidarity and the reunification of germany weren't motivated by hatred of russians, but by dislike of the oppressive soviet government.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: November 12, 2012, 09:05:51 pm »

None of you have ever met a real nationalist have you? Only heard what you remember of Hitler's rise to power. He corrupted alot of pre-exising things. Like the swastika. Thousands of years old, no you can never use it. Hell, I have long-dead ancestors with Swastikas on their headstones.

Nationalism is not hating someone else. No. it is not. That is a different breed altogether. Nationalism is your country for your people. That is all. It's homogeny. It's the basic idea that a government should reflect it's people. It's the foundation of Democracy. Can you disagree with that? Can you disagree that a seperate group of people should have their own nation apart from you? Free to choose for themselves how to rule?Does it lead to unecessary conflict? Yes, it has. Does it often lead to countires factionalizing? Yes, it does. Is there something inheritly wrong in it? No more so then democracy gives power to morons, or that aristocracy leads to stagnation. It's a very large piece of human nature.

Also, I must wonder how you people have wrangled me onto the same sides as nationalism. I don't even support it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: November 12, 2012, 09:09:52 pm »

Also, I must wonder how you people have wrangled me onto the same sides as nationalism. I don't even support it.

Probably something to do with you talking about all of the wonderful things that nationalism has done, like the unifications of Germany/Italy and the defeat of the Soviet Union.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: November 12, 2012, 09:31:06 pm »

I know that in a argument it's illegal to bring facts but
Merriam Webster
Nationalism
: loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

Patriotism
love for or devotion to one's country

The problem with nationalism is bold underlined.

Given the definitions
All nationalists are patriots.  Not all patriots are nationalists.

Now would you stop arguing against facts?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: November 12, 2012, 09:31:56 pm »

None of you have ever met a real nationalist have you? Only heard what you remember of Hitler's rise to power. He corrupted alot of pre-exising things. Like the swastika. Thousands of years old, no you can never use it. Hell, I have long-dead ancestors with Swastikas on their headstones.

"The swastika was a thousand-year-old symbol of peace and prosperity that the Nazis ruined forever"

-Earth: The Book
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: November 12, 2012, 10:01:24 pm »

They also ruined that cool salute, black boots, trenchcoats, and the whole notion of eugenics. Seriously, what was their problem?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: November 12, 2012, 10:05:21 pm »

And no, the American revolution was not nationalistic. They still considered themselves British back then.
The American Revolution was not nationalistic at the start. After the empire rejected the Olive Branch Treaty and it became clear there was no reunification, the revolution turned nationalist and created the American identity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: November 12, 2012, 10:10:30 pm »

I think some of the "Germans" of the 1800s might disagree with you, considering the fact that the unification of Germany by the Prussians led to the squashing of liberal ideals and the imposition of a fairly brutal and aggressive state in the middle of Europe.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: November 12, 2012, 10:29:56 pm »

They also ruined that cool salute, black boots, trenchcoats, and the whole notion of eugenics. Seriously, what was their problem?

Actually, the '70s ruined trenchcoats. The Nazis just gave them "badass antihero" connotations.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: November 12, 2012, 10:39:27 pm »

Yeah, living under the Prussian Kingdom/early German Empire actually wasn't that awesome, by most accounts, if you chanced to have any issues with living in what was essentially a stratocratic kingdom. In practice, the military was the state, and even though the first world war was triggered by serbian nationalists, the German Empire quite gleefully jumped in and started breaking all sorts of unwritten laws about warfare, such as not using smaller, neutral countries as battlefields and not conducting terror bombings of civilian populations (the German empire pioneered the terror bombings that became commonplace in the second world war. They used awesome Zeppelins! Which unfortunately helped ruin their image aswell...)
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: November 12, 2012, 10:50:59 pm »

They can keep that moustache though.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: November 12, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »

They can keep that moustache though.
I know you ain't dissin' the Chaplin.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: November 12, 2012, 10:53:38 pm »

So then, since this is now derailed, it is my duty to re-rail it:
"A mathematical analysis of demographic trends and voting results by the Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News finds that Texas Democrats will reach parity with Republicans at the presidential election level by 2024 if current population and electoral participation trends continue."

Wow. The republicans have really got to get on this. If they move to the right on immigration, they will cease to exist. Hell, I might even see a 3rd party candidate who the media care about in my lifetime. :o

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: November 12, 2012, 11:01:37 pm »

Yeah, we touched on that a little earlier. The GOP has thus far not indicated that they understand the reality of the situation. Their reaction to Romney's loss is that he should have been more right-wing.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: November 12, 2012, 11:05:26 pm »

Yeah, we touched on that a little earlier. The GOP has thus far not indicated that they understand the reality of the situation. Their reaction to Romney's loss is that he should have been more right-wing.
I know, but it is so very, jarring, to see straight numbers.

Well, As things move to the left, we are likely to see more factionalism. There are many forms of liberalism, but they are pressed by the party system into a cohesive body. When democrats begin to gain consisten control of both houses, such issues will come to a head.

I wonder along what lines they will break?
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 714