Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720785 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9435 on: November 13, 2012, 03:55:21 pm »

So the US (which, again, commits far more human rights violations than Texas is likely to ever be capable of) is right to prevent the people of Texas -or whatever state puts it up to a vote- from seceding because it decides that Texas isn't up to standard? Again, racial profiling isn't unique to Texas.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: November 13, 2012, 03:57:29 pm »

If they are allowed to secede, then with the caveat that individual people can migrate back into the States at a later point. Just because a theoretical majority would leave the country doesn't mean that the rest has to be affected too.
Because migrating people out is easy, effective, AND doesn't harm those who are displaced, right?

*cough* trail of tears *cough*
Well yeah, but no worse than living in a place with a new government that is much less inclined to work in their interests. I'd pick the lesser evil.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: November 13, 2012, 04:00:17 pm »

So the US (which, again, commits far more human rights violations than Texas is likely to ever be capable of)
Quick question: You talking abroad, limited to within our borders, or both?

is right to prevent the people of Texas -or whatever state puts it up to a vote- from seceding because it decides that Texas isn't up to standard? Again, racial profiling isn't unique to Texas.
It's the responsibility of the United States to protect the human rights of the people within its borders (and that includes Texas). That's the moral justification. I don't need a legal one, except to say I'm pretty sure secession is illegal according to the US constitution.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:02:03 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9438 on: November 13, 2012, 04:01:02 pm »

So the US (which, again, commits far more human rights violations than Texas is likely to ever be capable of) is right to prevent the people of Texas -or whatever state puts it up to a vote- from seceding because it decides that Texas isn't up to standard? Again, racial profiling isn't unique to Texas.

Texas is a "pioneer" in civil rights violations. They routinely violate civil rights more often than most of the rest of the country. And yes, the US also violates civil rights, in no small part because we have places like texas and arizona leading the way.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: November 13, 2012, 04:12:32 pm »

Texas is a "pioneer" in civil rights violations. They routinely violate civil rights more often than most of the rest of the country. And yes, the US also violates civil rights, in no small part because we have places like texas and arizona leading the way.

Then by that definition, the rest of the US would improve by having Texas leave.

Quick question: You talking abroad, limited to within our borders, or both?

Both. Though in particular, Texas would have a hard time engaging in external aggression compared to the US.
It's the responsibility of the United States to protect the human rights of the people within its borders (and that includes Texas). That's the moral justification. I don't need a legal one, except to say I'm pretty sure secession is illegal according to the US constitution.

Which human rights? Certainly doesn't seem like the US is very good at upholding human rights, what with drone bombing civilians, torture, racial profiling, the PATRIOT act, the NDAA, the NHS, the DHS, etc etc etc. It would be incredibly hypocritical for the US to claim to be preventing Texas from leaving because of "human rights".
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: November 13, 2012, 04:16:58 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

You pointing out other human rights violations just points out that there are more than one front for us to fight on. It doesn't discredit this particular one.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: November 13, 2012, 04:25:20 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

You pointing out other human rights violations just points out that there are more than one front for us to fight on. It doesn't discredit this particular one.

Tu quoque would be correct if I was personally accusing YOU of violating human rights (seeing as how it's basically an extension of an ad hominem). Your argument seems to be that the US can't let Texas leave because it would violate human rights. However, if Texas isn't really capable of being any worse than the US as is, then the US is in no moral position to prevent them from leaving and the argument is invalid. Not to mention, what constitutes "human rights" is, presently, completely up to the people who live in a given area. The overwhelming majority of countries in the UN don't really follow the UN Charter of Rights, and most countries have issues that others could claim constitute "human rights violations".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: November 13, 2012, 04:27:23 pm »

Clearly, Texas should not only secede, but we should institute some sort of federally funded national relocation organization, whose sole purpose is to help US Citizens relocate to the state of their choice. Not just ones from states that want to secede, either, but in general!

Really bring market economics into the matter and make states compete for citizens.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: November 13, 2012, 04:29:39 pm »

I assure you, as a Texan, if Texas left the Union, the number of human rights violations in Texas would go up.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: November 13, 2012, 04:30:18 pm »

The US would be violating human rights less without texas. Texas would also no longer have to US supreme court to act on its citizens behalf, and they would be worse off. Those people are US citizens and abandoning them to Texas would violate their rights.

A torture program began under Bush (Texan).
The patriot act, began under Bush (Texan).
The DHS began under Bush (Texan).
Racial profiling pioneered in Texas (and Arizona and Florida).
Drone bombings began under Bush (Texan).
NDAA codifying the defacto indefinite detainment policy that began under Bush (Texan).

So really, yes a fair bit of the US civil rights violations directly or indirectly came out of Texas.

But that isn't the reason why secession will not happen. "I hold that, in contemplation of universal law and of the Constitution, the Union of these States is perpetual. Perpetuity is implied, if not expressed, in the fundamental law of all national governments. It is safe to assert that no government proper ever had a provision in its organic law for its own termination." Abraham Lincoln.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: November 13, 2012, 04:34:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure secession is illegal according to the US constitution.

Nope. The Constitution says nothing about secession. The result of the Civil War made it de facto illegal, and Texas v. White clarified that. Though Texas v. White cites the "more perfect Union" phrase in the Constitution, the Constitution never explicitly allows or forbids secession.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: November 13, 2012, 04:35:13 pm »

Now to be fair, you can't exactly blame everything that Bush did on Texas.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: November 13, 2012, 04:38:09 pm »

Now to be fair, you can't exactly blame everything that Bush did on Texas.

I'm not actually blaming Texas. Though Bush and his policies are are influenced by the politics of the state and have influenced Texas politics in return.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: November 13, 2012, 04:39:48 pm »

Just saying, that coulda been interpreted that way.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: November 13, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »

Just saying, that coulda been interpreted that way.
So you're saying they engaged in group polarization? Less politely known as circle jerk? I am now imaginaing A giant Bush and the entire Texas legislature engaged in a massive circle-jerk, and it is not pretty.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 714