Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717435 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9960 on: November 28, 2012, 04:46:44 pm »

I don't have enough hands for this facepalm.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9961 on: November 28, 2012, 04:48:01 pm »

Cut off your roommate's. It's a win-win situation.

So yeah, how did he even qualify to be nominated for this position?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: November 28, 2012, 04:48:22 pm »

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/11/lamar-smith-wins-nomination-for-top-house-science-position.html

Lamar Smith, noted AGW denier is now the chairman of the house Science, Space and Technology committee.

Denying AGW on a science committee? Common.

But do you realize that this is the man who introduced freaking SOPA, serving on a technology committee?! Priorities, man!
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9963 on: November 28, 2012, 04:52:38 pm »

Who better to serve on a science and technology committee than a man who HATES SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. Hates them, we do! They stole our preciousssss....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9964 on: November 28, 2012, 07:12:04 pm »

Barring the Great Depression (in which interventionist methods were used), certainly nothing before 1913 was quite so economically damaging as, say, stagflation.

....you do realize that the Great Depression occurred after 1913, right? Just sayin.

You do realize that I said "Barring the Great Depression", right?
Beyond that, let's see:

1807 - Jefferson embargoes ALL foreign trade, triggers a six-year recession

Pretty dumb move from any perspective, post 1945 or not. For reference, though, this one was three years, not six.
1836 (Panic of 1837) - Jackson insists on use of silver currency, triggers six-year recession, massive unemployment, agricultural price failures, and a decrease in the money supply of 58%

An increase in the monetary supply by around 35% (!!!) prior to the panic, followed by issues stemming directly from the Second Bank of the United States and from various issues with state-chartered banks had quite a bit more to do with it.

Oh, and while this one was pretty bad, it only lasted two years.
1873 - Stock prices collapse in Vienna, economic panic spreads to US, dovetailed into some banking/railway collapses in the US, triggers a six-year recession which marked the start of a 23-year period known as the Long Depression.

There's a pretty good quote on this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So if you even consider it a recession, let alone a depression, it wasn't even close to being as bad as the 70s for people.
Honestly, if you look at most economic failures in US history, they're caused when the Fed (or before the Fed's creation, the US government through the Bank of the United States) shrinks the money supply and raises interest rates. We've never had a period of hyperinflation like Weimar Germany, in part because the wealthy have always exerted considerable pressure in this country to KILL INFLATION WITH FIRE. Why? Because inflation is the enemy of accrued wealth. Deflation is the enemy of a functioning economy, but if you can afford to sit tight on your money, you'll make out like a bandit when the economy recovers.

Yet the wealthy were (and still are) instrumental in supporting the Federal Reserve system. Why is that?

Remember, the very first people to receive new money aren't affected by the price inflation that comes with the inflation of the monetary supply. Hence the concept of "negative interest rates". The very first people who receive the new money, coincidentally enough, are the exceptionally rich, who in turn would rather not have deflation. Money supply decreases wouldn't be as harmful were there not false expectations created by easy lending in the first place. Deflation isn't necessarily a bad thing.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9965 on: November 28, 2012, 07:24:24 pm »

Depends on what you mean by "ended the depression". If you mean in the literal, GDP sense, then that's mostly because GDP is driven by spending. Hence, the government spending a gigantic amount of money on tanks, planes, etc will drive up GDP even if the economy is in a bad shape. The same thing could be done if the Obama administration decided to spend a couple hundred billion/trillion dollars digging ditches in Nebraska, but it certainly wouldn't improve the economy in a meaningful sense.

Okay... let's follow this idea.

You agree that stimulus would return the economy to full employment.  Once the economy is at full employment that would mean more private spending and Fed policy would gain traction.  So we would stay at full employment even once the government starts firing ditch diggers to prevent inflation.  This would mean hundreds of billions of dollars in additional economic output that was not there before.

How is hundreds of billions of dollars in additional economic output not a meaningful improvement?  Or do you disagree with something in my previous paragraph?

Please be succinct, on point and do not reference some historical event to change the subject if at all possible.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:29:37 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9966 on: November 28, 2012, 09:23:53 pm »

There's a pretty good quote on this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So if you even consider it a recession, let alone a depression, it wasn't even close to being as bad as the 70s for people.

They're justifying the recession of 1869-1879 on good shit that happened 20 years later! by that reckoning the 1970's wasn't so bad because of good growth in the late 90's. That kind of quote doesn't really justify the "it should be fixed by now!" rhetoric.

And for their logic "there was no contraction of the money supply!" - the money supply was increasing at a MUCH slower rate than growth; that's a contraction by any sensible economic definition - less money per unit of production.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:30:48 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: November 28, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »

Sorry to double post, but this is really a separate topic and I didn't want to mix it with my other post:

Another interesting thing is fiscal multipliers: economists estimate how much GDP will be affected by government spending or tax cuts - a tax cut is stimulus, as is direct spending: Both attempt to improve the economy by fiscal multiplier flow-on effects on GDP:

In congressional testimony given in July 2008, Mark Zandi, chief economist for Moody's Economy.com, provided estimates of the one-year multiplier effect for several fiscal policy options. The multipliers showed that any form of increased government spending would have more of a multiplier effect than any form of tax cuts. The most effective policy, a temporary increase in food stamps, had an estimated multiplier of 1.73. The lowest multiplier for a spending increase was general aid to state governments, 1.36. Among tax cuts, multipliers ranged from 1.29 for a payroll tax holiday down to 0.27 for accelerated depreciation. Making the Bush tax cuts permanent had the second-lowest multiplier, 0.29. Refundable lump-sum tax rebates, the policy used in the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, had the second-largest multiplier for a tax cut, 1.26.[6]

As can be seen from the modelling, $1 in food stamps increases GDP by $1.73 and $1 to the Bush Tax Cuts increases GDP by $0.29.

It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to see that not extending the bush tax cuts but expanding food subsidies would grow GDP without massively increasing the money supply. There ARE taxes with a large economic stimulus effect, but the Bush Tax Cuts are NOT one of them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:39:25 pm by Reelya »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: November 28, 2012, 09:49:34 pm »

Sorry to double post, but this is really a separate topic and I didn't want to mix it with my other post:

Another interesting thing is fiscal multipliers: economists estimate how much GDP will be affected by government spending or tax cuts - a tax cut is stimulus, as is direct spending: Both attempt to improve the economy by fiscal multiplier flow-on effects on GDP:

In congressional testimony given in July 2008, Mark Zandi, chief economist for Moody's Economy.com, provided estimates of the one-year multiplier effect for several fiscal policy options. The multipliers showed that any form of increased government spending would have more of a multiplier effect than any form of tax cuts. The most effective policy, a temporary increase in food stamps, had an estimated multiplier of 1.73. The lowest multiplier for a spending increase was general aid to state governments, 1.36. Among tax cuts, multipliers ranged from 1.29 for a payroll tax holiday down to 0.27 for accelerated depreciation. Making the Bush tax cuts permanent had the second-lowest multiplier, 0.29. Refundable lump-sum tax rebates, the policy used in the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, had the second-largest multiplier for a tax cut, 1.26.[6]

As can be seen from the modelling, $1 in food stamps increases GDP by $1.73 and $1 to the Bush Tax Cuts increases GDP by $0.29.

It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to see that not extending the bush tax cuts but expanding food subsidies would grow GDP without massively increasing the money supply. There ARE taxes with a large economic stimulus effect, but the Bush Tax Cuts are NOT one of them.
As A totally unbiased party, I would like to say that Food Stamps are incredibly helpful to the Economy, and to poor people in general. I have not, and most likely never will, understand the economic argument against them. It's very simple really. Imagine one person had everything. All the money, all the stuff, all the everything. The Economy, therefore, is dead, because no one is spending anything. Poor people instantly spend any money they recieve, because they are poor, while rich people horde, because they can afford to. Money is only really relevant to a economy if it is being spent. I have money, That doesn't help me at all! Only with the rich does having money become a scoring system of life.

This, AND the moral argument of feeding poor people, means tha food stamps is, in conclusion, the best idea ever.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9969 on: November 28, 2012, 10:10:07 pm »

That's certainly an argument for welfare, but the problem with foodstamps is that it creates a black market commodity for no real benefit (other than "punish those lazy poors").

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: November 28, 2012, 10:25:16 pm »

Some relevant data is from that drug testing for Florida welfare recipients, that didn't turn up more than a couple of percent of recipients using illegal drugs, and almost all of those were marijuana. It actually cost more money to administer the tests than the taxpayer saved in people thrown off welfare xD

The bottom line is that yeah, maybe a few people are swapping the food stamps food for other items, but it's a almost certainly very small minority who are doing that, and the stamps are still being spent in the economy, which is already proven to be the biggest possible GDP positive effect of any government program ever conceived, and not (on the whole) inflationary, since it creates more new GDP than the amount spent.

"feeding the poor" is just a beneficial side-effect. The stamps are justified by the economic modelling alone. Don't forget all that spending creates a lot of jobs, thus decreasing the total # unemployed. Some of the people serving the food stamps people would have been unemployed themselves otherwise.

Anyway, they almost all go to families with kids. That has benefits for the kids - or do we hold children fiscally responsible for their parents being poor? Feeding kids improves their school performance and health, which has benefits for the whole economy years down the track, the short-term fiscal multiplier don't take these benefits into account.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:33:00 pm by Reelya »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9971 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:01 pm »

Anyway, they almost all go to families with kids. That has benefits for the kids - or do we hold children fiscally responsible for their parents being poor? Feeding kids improves their school performance and health, which has benefits for the whole economy years down the track.
I can attest to this.

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9972 on: November 28, 2012, 10:48:58 pm »

That's certainly an argument for welfare, but the problem with foodstamps is that it creates a black market commodity for no real benefit (other than "punish those lazy poors").

I can't help but suspect that just giving people money would be even more effective. Anyone have the multiplier for direct poor-person-cash-infusion?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: November 28, 2012, 10:54:49 pm »

The problem is that cash can be hoarded, spent in the informal market or used directly to buy black market products. They therefore do not have the same dollar for dollar benefit as food stamps on the retail economy.

Food stamps are "use it or lose it", similar to tax credits, which only kick in if you do the taxable activity.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:57:12 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9974 on: November 28, 2012, 11:09:01 pm »

I can't help but suspect that just giving people money would be even more effective. Anyone have the multiplier for direct poor-person-cash-infusion?

Well you are basically talking about unemployment benefits there.  They have a high multiplier but not as high as food stamps: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/06/research_desk_whats_a_dollar_o.html

Of course the specifics of an individual policy might matter so it shouldn't be the case that all cash transfers are worse then all food stamp spending.  But food stamp spending is pretty darn stimulative.  It has to be spent within the month and it goes to those who are most financially constrained.  Those are pretty much exactly the conditions you'd want to fulfill.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:10:53 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 714