Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717581 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10335 on: December 12, 2012, 03:56:06 pm »

Indeed, a decent description of the Supreme Court's job is "closing loopholes".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: December 12, 2012, 04:01:33 pm »

No argument there. Law in China has pretty much ALWAYS been that way. Power (and money) trumps law.

But then, is it really any different in the US? HSBC got busted for laundering billions for the Mexican cartels. If a individual person were found guilty of laundering as little as $10,000 they'd be in prison. But a big bank does it, and just gets slapped with a fine. Nobody went to jail or was held personally accountable. A relatively small number of greedy fucking assholes in Wall Street hedge funds jointly tanked the US economy. Almost none of them saw prison time or economic damages.

One of my favorite examples is when former Dallas Cowboys football player Nate Newton was busted driving an entire vanload of marijuana. 175 pounds of marijuana. He got 30 months and a $25,000 fine. If that had been you or me, we'd be in prison for life. There are two justice systems in the US: one for the haves, one for the have-nots. Our system is a lot more harsh.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: December 12, 2012, 04:03:54 pm »

In China HSBC wouldn't have gotten caught at all. They'd be running both the cartels and the local government behind the scenes, while also laundering money for them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: December 12, 2012, 04:27:02 pm »

Of course rich people can still immediately get out by paying a grand.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: December 12, 2012, 04:47:37 pm »

In China HSBC wouldn't have gotten caught at all. They'd be running both the cartels and the local government behind the scenes, while also laundering money for them.
No, they wouldn't have gotten caught UNTIL the public found out about it and it became a big embarassment for the government. At which point most of the executives involved would have been executed.

Say what you want about the Chinese legal system (and I make no bones about the fact that horrific injustices occur regularly within it), but when there's a major cock-up, heads DO roll. Literally.

Transpose that here, and there would have been dozens of death sentences handed down out of the AIG and Lehman Brothers scandals.
Bernie Madoff wouldn't be sitting pretty and smirking about how he's a legend over at the prison in Butner.
The guys in charge of the Deepwater Horizon fiasco in the Gulf would be dead.
The top guys at that mining company in West Virginia that basically didn't give a shit about safety procedures? Dead or in prison.
This jackoff that runs that pharmacy responsible for the meningitis outbreak? Yeah, none of this "I invoke my 5th Amendment rights" bullshit. They'd pull out his fingernails until he confessed and THEN shoot him.

Yeah, I know, I know..."that's not the way we do things in America". More's the pity when it comes to the rich and powerful. Corporations in China are NOT people. Which means when they screw up big time, there *is* accountability -- assuming there's enough outcry to bring it to Beijing's attention and enough public anger to make them think twice about trying to sweep it under the rug.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: December 12, 2012, 05:00:01 pm »

Isn't all that stuff caused by too few laws, not too many?  The problem with the financial industry is that essentially there were no laws regulating what they were doing.  Institutions were engaging in practices that were essentially banking but without any of the compliance and disclosure that banks have to obey.  This lead to a rash of abuses of that freedom because they were doing things that weren't regulated but clearly should have been.

I do not see any way for the Chinese system to be reformed without a complete overhaul that starts with completely re-envisioning the legal system and changing the role of the judiciary.  Basically you need to throw the system out and start over.  I do see how the American system can be made to work, just write new laws to correct the abuses.

When a new computer virus comes out we dont all go out and buy macs, we update our anti-virus software.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: December 12, 2012, 05:26:15 pm »

Isn't all that stuff caused by too few laws, not too many?  The problem with the financial industry is that essentially there were no laws regulating what they were doing.  Institutions were engaging in practices that were essentially banking but without any of the compliance and disclosure that banks have to obey.  This lead to a rash of abuses of that freedom because they were doing things that weren't regulated but clearly should have been.

What regulations do you think there should have been?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10342 on: December 12, 2012, 05:27:57 pm »

For starters? Glass-Steagal
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: December 12, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »

Ninja'd a bit, but here is the wikipedia article on the Glass-Steagal act.

Something which should never, ever have been removed.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: December 12, 2012, 05:33:20 pm »

What regulations do you think there should have been?

To put it briefly, it should not be legal to engage in bank type lending and investment unless you follow the regulations and disclosure practices of a bank.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: December 12, 2012, 05:39:58 pm »

yeah, repealing glass-steagal was probably the most destructive thing done by the government since.. vietnam, maybe?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: December 12, 2012, 05:42:27 pm »

Since the Boston Tea Party.

Seriously, that was a damn waste of tea.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: December 12, 2012, 05:43:39 pm »

And ever since then, the Boston harbour has smelt -delicious-.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: December 12, 2012, 06:29:47 pm »

How did the repeal of Glass Steagal cause the crisis?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: December 12, 2012, 06:40:13 pm »

It allowed banks that deal with mortgages and savings accounts and the like to get involved in investment banking, which is far more risky, thus putting far more money at risk.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 714