Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720839 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10485 on: December 29, 2012, 01:52:05 am »

It's worth mentioning that Texas has a clause that lets it split into several different states if it wants. So if the Republicans want some extra senate seats, all they'd need to do would be to chop up Texas and voila, magic control of the Senate! Mind, as far as I know none of them have thought it up, but it would be rather abusive of the present senate system.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: December 29, 2012, 01:56:43 am »

That would not work as advertized. The new states would not all be Republican, or at least not fully so, and the State of Austin would definitely be Democratic. The gamble is too high.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: December 29, 2012, 02:04:30 am »

Don't forget that Dallas has a huge population of African American folks, Hispanic folks, and LGBT folks.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10488 on: December 29, 2012, 02:39:40 am »

Dallas? That is not the city that has "keep Austin weird" as its motto.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: December 29, 2012, 03:46:53 am »

That would not work as advertized. The new states would not all be Republican, or at least not fully so, and the State of Austin would definitely be Democratic. The gamble is too high.

The proposed maps for a split Texas, from what I've seen, put Austin alongside broader swathes of central Texas, making it practically a "swing state". South Texas would be safely Democratic unless the largely Mexican Hispanics there started to transform politically into Tejanos, Northern Texas would be exceptionally Republican, and the Gulf Coast and the Dallas area, would be somewhere between "Lean R" and "Solid R". At least from the Senate, it would very much favour the Republicans so long as they ran half decent Senate candidates in the two "swingish" and one "swing" state. They'd hurt in the electoral college, mind, and in a bad year could get totally crushed in maybe three of the five new states.

That is, of course, assuming the Texas legislature made a generally fair and reasonable map. If they decided to gerrymander it, they could probably make a big strip of Southern Texas for the Hispanic immigrants and split the remaining four through dilution of northwestern Texas. Doing that, they'd make one state that votes like DC and four that vote like Nebraska, with the added bonus of basically nullifying whatever demographic disadvantages they have in the future.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: December 29, 2012, 07:45:28 am »

This would just be a massive gerrymander in favor of the republicans.  The geographically concentrated democrats get packed into high democrat urban districts while republicans win the still uncompetative but not by as large margins rural districts.  It wouldn't be surprising to see results like Democrats winning the popular vote 60%-40% but not controlling the house under this system.  You'd be taking a map like they have in Pennsylvania and extending it to the entire country across state boundaries.

See, I'm not entirely sure about this. A lot of those splits cut cities in half and lump them in with rural voters, whose votes are then nullified or at least face stiff competition. Look at Minnesota, for example, dominated by Minneapolis voters, or St. Louis or Kansas City, who together will take most of Missouri.

The thing is I'm not really sure it's possible to create a system where neither rural voters nor city voters are overwhelmingly favored.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: December 29, 2012, 11:00:49 am »

Minneapolis happens to get split in favor of democrats but most other liberal cities aren't.  Democrats don't want liberal cities like Detroit, Chicago, Boston, etc. in densely packed districts.  Democrats will win there with 80% of the vote but that's a lot of surplus democratic votes.  On the other hand it's very difficult to draw many districts that have 80%+ republican votes simply because the parts of the country that republican aren't all that populated compared to NYC the Bay Area, DC, etc.  So simple math identities tell us that's not good for democrats though maybe not to quite the extent I was saying.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: December 29, 2012, 02:39:19 pm »

I don't get why you don't just tally up the votes for which party in an area and split it between the candidates. Like, 10 Dem candidates, and 10 Repub candidates, and 7 mill vote for dem, 3 for repub, give 7 of the dems the seats and 3 of the repubs the seats.

I mean, you'd probably want to get a tally of who the voters want most from each party, most to least, in order. And if the candidacy is to represent a specific area, and not just the state as a whole (I don't know how the House works in that regard) then you WOULD want districting.

But otherwise, whyyyy? @_@

does any of this make sense
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10493 on: December 29, 2012, 02:46:51 pm »

What you are describing is one variant of party proportional by state, something I myself advocate. The only effect of district by district representation comes from people selling votes to get corporate investments in their district and by adding porkbarrel riders to other legislation that gives random government grants and boons to corporations in their districts.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: December 29, 2012, 03:10:54 pm »

Party proportional representation is problematic when our legal system doesn't even officially recognize political parties in any way. We'd immediately lose all of our voting power to the whims of party bosses.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:05 pm »

So, two and a half days until the economy blows up!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: December 29, 2012, 03:29:13 pm »

I don't get why you don't just tally up the votes for which party in an area and split it between the candidates. Like, 10 Dem candidates, and 10 Repub candidates, and 7 mill vote for dem, 3 for repub, give 7 of the dems the seats and 3 of the repubs the seats.

I mean, you'd probably want to get a tally of who the voters want most from each party, most to least, in order. And if the candidacy is to represent a specific area, and not just the state as a whole (I don't know how the House works in that regard) then you WOULD want districting.

Because the US is a strictly representative democracy. That is, you vote for someone, and only that person. That person is the person who holds power, and for better or worse, there is no shadow government, there is no man behind the curtain, what you see is what you get. Speaking from experience, among other things it makes it incredibly hard to launch a coup on the government, since it is impossible to seperate the symbolic government from the functional government.

Ironically, it's more representative then other countries in that manner, in that we choose the specific person who has power, as opposed to the party and general ideals of which.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: December 29, 2012, 03:59:21 pm »

Le Fiscal Cliff.

A series of masive tax hikes and spending cuts. Super austerity. Will tank economy. To stop it, we have to walk line between stopping the debt and aiding the economy.

And we failing bro, we failing.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: December 29, 2012, 04:48:07 pm »

It would require a constitutional amendment which would require the parties to agree and we don't have high hopes for that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: December 29, 2012, 07:32:47 pm »

On the upside, recent polls suggest the GOP will take the heat (rightfully) for this, far more than the Dems will.

Seriously though, this shit is bloody annoying. I live in another country entirely, on the other side of the world, but our share market is still gonna tank a few points because Boehner is a git and Norquist is a fanatic.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 714