Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29

Author Topic: Evolution VIII: Ediacaran Power  (Read 54018 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution VIII: The undead cannot be dissuaded.
« Reply #300 on: March 29, 2012, 03:04:36 pm »

It is now Thursday, and there is no update.
For this thread not to die, I (or anyone) should make a pseudo-update each thursday Wimdir DIDN'T make the REAL DEAL.

So I'm just puttin' some Crymitian card game to wait.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:11 pm »

I will GM. Give me the reast of the week to figure out how this works and compile your turns. Sorry if I am a horrid GM. Just want things to move forward.

P.S. This will be my first time doing real GM work.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 29, 2012, 04:08:43 pm »

I will GM. Give me the reast of the week to figure out how this works and compile your turns. Sorry if I am a horrid GM. Just want things to move forward.

P.S. This will be my first time doing real GM work.
what

okay. just don't break continuity. Ask Wimdit first please.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 29, 2012, 04:21:35 pm »

Just awaiting reply.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:31 am »

Says he has been sick, but is feeling better and will try and update really soon. He did give me a time period, but i think its best if I dont mention it to save undue expectation. I am helping with the update, though and hope that my doing so will speed up the process.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2012, 10:38:29 am »

champagne! *pops*
Full Sig

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 31, 2012, 12:00:04 am »

Huzzah! Forthcoming updates!

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 31, 2012, 10:28:07 am »

I must say. Writing these things are a hell of a lot harder than I though.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 31, 2012, 03:52:38 pm »

The mechanics shouldn't be hard, but the fluff can be a royal bother to write if you aren't feeling specially motivated.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 31, 2012, 04:23:35 pm »

The mechanics shouldn't be hard, but the fluff can be a royal bother to write if you aren't feeling specially motivated.
Or if you are trying to mimic someone elses style for the sake of continuity.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 31, 2012, 08:31:46 pm »

I'm fine with whatever style you want to use to update, as long as you update. I'm not picky at this point.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 01, 2012, 03:35:55 am »

I'm fine with whatever style you want to use to update, as long as you update. I'm not picky at this point.
Same there. Style do not really matter. What matter for continuity is what happen, not how you tell what happen :)
Full Sig

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution VIII: Let's keep going.
« Reply #312 on: April 01, 2012, 07:44:29 am »

In honour of the release of DF 0.31, as well as Christ's entry into Jerusalem, I present to you:

Turn 3

Species

Azthor
With the completion of The Judge's campaign of genocide, the Bangellian Devourer became the dominant lifeform on the plains; an observer in Devourer territory would most likely see nothing but whitish blobs from horizon to horizon, silently eating whatever lay beneath them. Quite literally, in fact: the Hivemind, in its singleminded desire to grow larger, had learned to eat rocks and dirt. Consequently, the Devourers no longer needed to seek out living things to eat, and famine was, at least for the present, averted.

While The Judge had certainly been very thorough in his intervention, even he could not destroy every last creature in the ecosystem that was hostile to the Devourers. In particular, the areas only recently settled still contained significant numbers of predators. The Hivemind, however, was no longer defenceless. It had been building up its psychic powers for a thousand years, and it was shortly after the Genocide that the full force of the Hivemind's will was exerted for the first time.

A few years after the plains grew quiet again, a feeling began to permeate the air. At first, the other wildlife noticed nothing beyond a faint pressure at the edge of their thoughts. As time went on, though, the air became heavier, and thinking clearly became harder.

A few animals lucky enough to work out what was happening in time ran as far and as fast as they possibly could, desperately searching for a place free of Devourers. A few even made it: some into the swamp, some far into the mountains, some launching themselves out to sea. Those in the latter category inevitably drowned before they reached land, but they were arguably better off than those who remained.

The pressure around the Devourers built and built until it seemed almost tangible, encapsulating weaker minds and overwhelming them. Some of the plains-dwellers carried on with their lives doggedly, only occasionally falling to their knees and moaning. Some keeled over and did not rise again, eyes and mouths wide open, breathing in slow, laboured gasps. Some stopped moving entirely, standing stock-still even as their bodies began to fail, and some went insane, attacking everything they could see until they died of exhaustion. Most, though, had their willpower pushed cleanly out of their minds, leaving them as puppets for the Hivemind to direct as it pleased.

It was an ignominious end for the once-proud creatures of the plains, and a landmark moment in Devourer history.

Events
All creatures in the vicinity except the Devourers have their minds destroyed.
The Devourers start eating dirt.

New Trait
Chemolithotrophy 6 (12 EP): The Devourers have evolved, influenced by the Hivemind, to be able to obtain sustenance from inorganic substances, foremost among them being mineral substracts.

kaian-a-coel
In the city of Suriloy, heart of the Empire, the venerable Mazza’kaza addressed the High Council. Despite his age, his speech was impassioned, fiery; he spoke and argued with more intensity than any other in the Council, and as a war hero and patriarch of the Kazanag dynasty his skilled oration was backed by more than just words.

Almost to the exclusion of all else, his speeches focused on the Devourer presence to the south. He claimed that their encroachment would not stop at the edges of the Empire; if given the chance, they would overrun and destroy every last Crymit.

He asserted that the Empire had only one recourse: that they teach the blobs a lesson and scare them away, much as they had done with the Zjelldursin. He requested that the Council institute a draft, and grant him an army with which to drive off the Devourer menace.

The fate of millions hung on the Council’s decision.

Events
The Crymitian Empire continues to expand.
Mazza'kaza, backed up by a hawkish faction of Senators, calls for war.

New Trait
Political Organisation 3 (4 EP): Negotiation and debate are so pervasive in Imperial society that all Emperors are proficient in politics to some degree.

New Technology
Animal Husbandry, Advanced: Having domesticated the Adrugerohj, the Crymits have developed and refined the process of taming local wildlife.

Design (Communicator): A gift from Draiotch, these blue crystals allow quick long-distance communication.

Design (Encrypted Record): With Omoloth's help, the Crymits have gained the ability to create orange crystals which can theoretically contain vast amounts of information and can only be read by an Emperor.

Infrastructure (Transportation): Mastery of this science ensures that all roads lead to the Crymitian Empire, as well as all bridges and passages.

Writing: The ability to transcribe a language onto a physical medium. While not especially impressive on the surface, the ability to record data and pass on ideas is vital to a society that wishes to move beyond scratching at the dirt.

Poltifar/kaian-a-coel
The Zjelldursin hiding in the mountains was outnumbered. It was dimly aware of this fact, but it did not and could not comprehend the sheer size of the Crymit nation. Untold millions of them resided in the mountains, and every one was fully aware of it and the threat it posed. With the odds stacked against it so, one would think that it would be found and killed in short order. It was not.

When it wanted to be, the Zjelldursin was completely undetectable. It could sense a Crymit colony through several hundred metres of solid rock, and even the most skilled and experienced crew of Crymit labourers could not hope to match its tunnelling speed. It was fully aware of these facts, and so it was free to indulge its curiosity about Crymit society.

As the centuries came and went, it listened to the Crymits moving through the caverns, on occasion popping up to look around when the opportunity presented itself. On multiple occasions, simple bad luck resulted in it being detected, but when that happened it would simply leave the area.

In time, its explorations revealed that in the city of Odreploy there were vaults containing vast numbers of red and blue crystals, gemstones and precious metals. The Zjelldursin coveted all these things, and could not resist attempting to devour them. Still wary of the Crymits, it took every precaution. For months it listened to the sounds of Odreploy, attempting to ascertain when the vaults would be unattended.

At last, it burst through the cavern floor and devoured the contents of a vault before disappearing completely. A few unlucky commoners happened to be present, and, although they were beneath its attention, they ended up crushed under the monster's weight. By some twist of fate, they managed to survive, and reported hearing a whisper from the Zjelldursin, a clue to its true nature:

"Nightshade is shadows in all honest blinks that sort through the bile of newborn plagues, instant warmth is a mother's milk in dreams before anything was ever evil."

Pleased with the new carapace it had plundered, the Zjelldursin settled down into the bedrock and began to dream.

Grek
'The Living City is born of the deep! Spread, so that It may follow!'

For over a thousand years, the Calx had been a sedentary species, expanding their reef slightly over the course of decades but never expanding in the manner of the Devourers or the Crymits. This stagnation was eventually brought to a very abrupt halt by the influence of Niklas, and in particular the Calx's belief that he resided above the waves.

With the Calx having become able to breathe air and broadcast their thoughts over thousands of kilometres, they collectively decided that by reaching upwards above the waves and singing to the heavens, they could contact their god. Calx'yleth rose above the water, but a single group of spires was not enough; there was no response to their call but an order to build more. And thus, as one, the corals spread outward, building towers as they went.

They spread from coast to coast to sunless precipice, even creeping onto the swamps to sink their reefs into the mud. And if, in the swamps, they noticed heavily-built, brownish-grey creatures moving with more purpose than any beast, they paid them no mind. Their focus was on the skies.

Events
The reef expands rapidly, leaving the Calx thinly-spread but in command of huge tracts of ocean.
Towers of coral reach above the waves, broadcasting prayers to Niklas.
The Calx become true amphibians, able to breathe air and water.
Refining their ability to sing, the Calx gain the ability to transmit information from one side of the kingdom to another in minutes.

New Trait
Amphibiousness (16 EP): The Calx have become near-perfect amphibians, able to breathe both air and water. However, they are far less mobile on dry land.

Poltifar/Grek/Draiotch
As the Reef Titan wandered through the reefs and word spread among the Calx of its presence, a number of juveniles decided on a somewhat unorthodox place to settle down. They entered the sessile stage of their life-cycle on the Titan itself, which was a mutually beneficial arrangement. Calx coral was far more protective than simple rock due to the curse it held, and the Titan gave the Calx mobility and protection from divine interference – though the latter was irrelevant in the deeper ocean, where no gods held sway.

As they travelled the ocean floor, they sang to one another. Neither party had any inkling what the other was saying, of course, but they were each comforted by the other's presence. Moreover, while there could be no proper communication, the Titan's instincts made it vaguely aware of the desires of its riders; it sought clouds of muhwa and avoided moving too far beneath the surface, in consideration for their needs.

Inevitably, the Titan and its companions encountered Draiotch's door, which the Calx were eager to enter. While there was no question of entry being gained legitimately, the Titan's ability to block divine influence made it possible to slowly chew through the door and gain entry to the hallowed halls of the Praeclusium.

They did not remain long. The Calx did not normally fear the unknown, but on a primal level they understood what this place was, and an unknown god was not something to be trifled with; the Titan's thoughts ran along similar lines. While it was not precisely an uncomfortable place to be, the Praeclusium gave them both the feeling that they were being watched intently by something which could attack them at a moment's notice.

They left and resumed their wanderings, the door quickly restoring itself behind them. The two were silent for a time before they began singing again, but they eventually spread the word of the strange door throughout the kingdom.

RulerOfNothing
After having invented agriculture, one might have expected the Retha to settle down and build up their burgeoning civilization for at least a little while. While this was true of some of them, a great many would not stay in the old swamps, instead travelling outward to seek new lands. This tendency would inevitably lead to them reaching the end of the swamps.

They found the sea to the southeast, where the murky waters turned salty, where rocks grew like plants and where the ground eventually terminated at the edge of a seemingly-endless body of water.

And they found the plains to the northwest and southwest, where unpleasant-looking blobs roamed and there was very little water. Luckily for them, they collectively decided not to settle near the blobs, thereby avoiding the monstrous outpouring of psychic power that was sweeping the plains.

Events
Retha reach the edges of the swamp, encountering the Calx.

New Trait
Diplomacy 3 (4 EP): The need for intertribal negotiations has resulted in a general improvement in Retha diplomatic skills.

New Technology
Agriculture, Basic: This technology grants the ability to grow food, resulting in a stable food supply and removing the need to gather plants in the wild. In addition to providing another source of food, the technology of Agriculture frees the Retha hunter-gatherers to focus on other pursuits.

Fishing: Proper use of tools allows exploitation of water-based food resources without the need for great physical prowess.

Fire-making: Mastery of fire is an important step on the path to enlightenment, and has countless applications in the struggle for survival.

Advanced Crafting (Plants): With their bare hands and simple stone tools, the Retha can craft nets, baskets, wooden implements and so on from materials harvested in the swamps. In a pinch, wooden weapons such as clubs and staves and spears can also be made. With effort, large constructions such as canoes are possible.

Herblore, Swamp: Knowledge of plants in the swamp, including which ones are edible, which ones can be used for remedies, and which ones can be used for poisons.

Deities

micelus
You grant the blessing of literacy to the Crymitian Emperors. Despite their vaunted intellect, they are not fully aware of the ramifications this will eventually have, but the seeds of an intellectual revolution have been sown.

Your minor blessing in the swamps strengthens the collective ties the Retha have toward you. Again, while there is little change for now, the new caste system will have far-reaching implications in future.

Sinpwn
Transferring the Praeclusium out of this reality, you create three more entrances across the world, turning it into an interspecies crossroads.

None have entered it legitimately yet but the most enlightened Emperors, but in the far southeast the Reef Titan demonstrates that entry can be forced if the wards on it can be overwhelmed.

freeformschooler
You encourage the your followers to increase their size, gathering biomass into larger and larger blobs. This makes them more difficult to prey on, but also decreases the amount of ground they are able to cover. Expansion slows among your followers, but they can no longer be considered prey.

This doesn't have much of an effect, given that the Hivemind is now able to defend itself and there isn't much hostile life left anyway.

Criptfeind
With the Hivemind now able to hold a proper conversation with you, you negotiate a settlement with it and your schismatic followers rejoin the collective consciousness. Your influence spreads throughout the greater Hivemind, and a tradition of dualistic worship springs up. You and The Judge are now both regarded as icons of worship by the Hivemind.

Further east, you inspire the Retha cultists to spread, and their influence expands to cover much of the western part of the swamps.

mcclay
Your directive to build more temples is followed with such enthusiasm as to be almost frightening. Towers of coral singing your praises now cover most of the southeastern sea, and construction shows no sign of stopping.

As usual, your forays onto dry land meet with somewhat less success. Nonetheless, they are encouraging, as the Crymits include you as a full member of their pantheon and your voice among the Retha and the Devourers grows stronger.

Spoiler: Niklas (mcclay) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Omoloth (micelus) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Draiotch (Sinpwn) (click to show/hide)

Maps

Spoiler: Terrain Mapmode (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hex Number Overlay (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Population Mapmode (click to show/hide)

Notes

We may have fasted for almost fifty days and fifty nights, and at the end been tempted by a black pony the Devil, but we're good now. Everything's fine. We've entered the Jerusalem of this extended analogy, and nothing more can possibly go wrong.

Some more writing needs to be done. This post leaves out proper descriptions of a whole lot of important events, and will be extended soonish. Please hold on.

Now that players are starting to meet with one another, I'll spend the next little while doing some bookkeeping, refining and expanding the rules (particularly those on conflicts), and coming up with descriptions for stuff to flesh out this world a little. Stay tuned for that.

Also, if any of you want to reshape the land itself with your words, now's the time. Come up with some interesting terrain features or events that have happened, and watch as your writing becomes reality! The maps will be updated to reflect what is written during this time.

Achievement Unlocked: Prometheus
Achievement Unlocked: All Roads Lead To [Subject Hometown Here]
Achievement Unlocked: Forty Days and Forty Nights
Achievement Unlocked: Auspicious Occasion
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:47:21 am by Wimdit »

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution VIII: Ride on, ride on in majesty...
« Reply #313 on: April 01, 2012, 07:47:51 am »

. . . . . .  I just killed ten trees thinking I had two more hours.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution VIII: Ride on, ride on in majesty...
« Reply #314 on: April 01, 2012, 07:48:32 am »

Oh. Sorry about that.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29