Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1283093 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #1035 on: June 15, 2013, 08:53:26 am »

I found lerping desaturatedGreen + darkerSepia to produce a great effect.

Here is a sample of something I made a while ago I should really start again now that I have more time
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ocean is Darkest Blue to Blue
Shallows are Blue to Lighter Azure
Beach is Lighter Amber to Desaturated Green
Land is Desaturated Green to Dark Sepia

Although it really depends on how you want your game to look. Still, use these as a guildline if you like, hope you achieve the effct you are going for! Also, don't sweat things like map scrolling and such, it isn't too hard in a roguelike.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 15, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »

Or use this:

http://www.posemaniacs.com/

Won't give you the same perception of depth and surface an actual mannequin will, but it might help.

It just hit me, I used to play with GI-Joes a lot as a kid (They're not dolls dammit! ;) ). Maybe if you did as well you could dig out one of them and use it for a ghetto/DIY/hack mannequin. As I recall they were fairly articulate-able.
What do you mean "perception of depth and surface"?  Like if you draw the model exactly as you see it on the screen, it won't look quite right? o_o  Could you explain this phenomenon? D:

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 15, 2013, 05:25:45 pm »

What do you mean "perception of depth and surface"? Like if you draw the model exactly as you see it on the screen, it won't look quite right? o_o  Could you explain this phenomenon? D:   

First, I believe a disclaimer is in order: I've never drawn with a mannequin and would consider my own character drawing skills sub par at best.

With that out of the way: I meant that having an actual object in front of you gives you another axis of reference. 
Of course you can use images as reference, a lot of great, great artists do.

But the whole point of drawing from life is that you can pan/tilt/rotate around real objects and get a different feeling for their shape. Hence the 360 degree views commonly found on the commercial reference sites. :)

Edit: @Skyrunner
Don't let them fool you into fiddling with the graphics before you've got the rest implemented! D:

It looks promising though. Naval trade/combat roguelike? Do I need to bring my eye-patch?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:27:18 pm by Svampapa »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 15, 2013, 08:24:49 pm »

Its a full color roguelike! Fiddling with graphics and trying to make ascii beautiful is the most enjoyable part!
Although I'm thinking we could use a "Post screenshots of the game you are making" thread...

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 15, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »

Its a full color roguelike! Fiddling with graphics and trying to make ascii beautiful is the most enjoyable part!
Although I'm thinking we could use a "Post screenshots of the game you are making" thread...
Do it. Make one. And i will watch it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 15, 2013, 11:13:58 pm »

Eh, I don't make successful threads. It isn't a thing I do.

I do, however, make interesting caves.
Ok so not the most interesting caves ever, but a start. I will be able to very easily ensure large creatures and cool loot and other stuff like that only show up in main chambers, so that should be fun.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 16, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »

Those are some good looking caves. How did you make them?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1042 on: June 16, 2013, 06:19:22 pm »

Oh man, are those procedurally generated? Because that's quite nice, actually.

also i made something to frown the fuck out of people with
THE ULTIMATE METAFROWN

I also made three drawings in my sketchbook during the time i was away but i have yet to take photos of them. They all involve fish somehow.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 16, 2013, 07:34:33 pm »

THE ULTIMATE METAFROWN

I also made three drawings in my sketchbook during the time i was away but i have yet to take photos of them. They all involve fish somehow.
>:c
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 17, 2013, 07:03:54 am »

THE ULTIMATE METAFROWN

This needs to be an animated .gif

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 18, 2013, 04:16:03 pm »

Any advice on how to get over a fear of drawing?  I can draw a little, but I always feel incredibly frustrated and even scared of drawing so I can't keep it up for very long.  Perhaps I'm not cut out to draw, although I still want to get good at it.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 18, 2013, 04:20:46 pm »

Any advice on how to get over a fear of drawing?  I can draw a little, but I always feel incredibly frustrated and even scared of drawing so I can't keep it up for very long.  Perhaps I'm not cut out to draw, although I still want to get good at it.
Just remember, an accurate definition of "drawing" is "dicking around with lines until it resembles something". That right there is my entire drawing style. Of course, when I was in middle school, it was dicking around with shapes.

Perhaps master the most basic of things, like cubes and such, and then work your way up? That might build confidence.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1047 on: June 18, 2013, 06:36:02 pm »

@miauw: I might yet do that. ;o

What exactly is scaring you about it? It's actually super chill, just gently work the pencil and let your imagination flow. Screw quality, i'm rather mediocre in the grand scheme of things, it's about having fun. Sometimes, fun is to do a quick and shitty doodle. Other times, it's about making an elaborate piece of art, as good as you possibly can. Point is, drawing is very much a "for teh lulz" thing, at least for me. Case in point:
Speaking of artistic quality alone, this guy has horribly distorted anatomy, a very stiff posture, crude linework and almost non-existing depth. That's all well and good, but he was really fun to draw. That last bit is the most important part, at least to me. Some people will find enjoyment in pursuing constant improvement, which is more of a secondary goal for me.

Also, as an addendum to what Slayerhero said, drawing loads and loads of stickmen can be surprisingly helpful. It helps you get a feel for how the pen(cil)/mouse will move in your hand, allowing you to get the lines you're looking for without erasing a million times. Plus, setting low goals is a good way to improve your confidence! c:
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 18, 2013, 06:44:53 pm »

The other thing regarding that, every time you draw, you fail to accurately represent what you're trying to draw on the paper.  But every time you do, you can reflect on why it is innaccurate, and the next time you sit down to draw you'll be able to try to improve the parts that were problematic.  Eventually you'll find a way to do things that works for you, and will be able to routinely draw hands or feet, or cloth folds, allowing you to move on to other more challenging things.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 18, 2013, 08:02:08 pm »

Just set the personal goal of drawing something every day. You'll eventually get desensitized. It also helps to suddenly get a strange obsession, with, say, as a complete hypothetical, cutebolds, but that might not work for everyone.

I'm not at all cut out to draw, but tried anyway. A year and a half later, and I can draw some nearly decent things.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 845