Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282806 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #2070 on: April 12, 2014, 01:11:23 pm »

Haha that looks cool. :3

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2071 on: April 12, 2014, 02:48:39 pm »

Two colours, eh? That's what i normally do. I also used to use my mouse back when i didn't have a tablet, so we'll see how this turns out. :U
I quite like yours, by the way!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: April 12, 2014, 04:54:20 pm »

So here's something I've been working on and off for the past six months. If you look through some of my posts you can actually see how this project (I call it that because initially I thought it was going to be a videogame, then I thought of it as a suggestion game, perhaps in six months I'll think of it as a puppet show or something) is going, but I digress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm going with an RPGish view for this one, which I am enjoying. This street is a work in progress, but most of it is done. Most of it is from already done sprites, some of which are from different projects, but I am personally really proud of the road texture I did for this. Initially it was a cracked, nasty looking road, which really didn't suit the scene (It's meant to be a rather nice, well-maintained city that is pleasant to look at) so I did a little bit of experimentation and eventually managed to make a really sweet road texture. If you look closely enough you can see it actually is like real tarmac with it's own pattern. I think it adds a bit of depth to the scene, but it may be just me. The road paint was done by using a transparent brush of various colors. I tried making one side brighter then the other but it just looked rubbish and I decided I would be much better served by making it flat.

Anyway, the thing that was bugging me is how I'm going to do the buildings. I want this to be similar to the business district in Dubai, but I wasn't quite sure how to go about making the bottom floors of skyscrapers from an RPG-like perspective without it being silly. This is meant to be a suggestion game so I'd like to make it low-maintance. Any tips on that front? Might be overly specific, but any techniques would be appreciated.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2073 on: April 12, 2014, 05:00:06 pm »

Just make outlines with indents in them to represent doors. Also that woman is an alien isn't she.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: April 12, 2014, 05:02:35 pm »

Little girl, actually. Why are all the kids I draw in pixel art mistaken for aliens?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2075 on: April 12, 2014, 05:16:04 pm »

Little girl, actually. Why are all the kids I draw in pixel art mistaken for aliens?
The eyes make her look like a grey. Plus she looks really tall for a kid.

Hey new avatar! Like it way better than your last one tbh.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: April 12, 2014, 05:28:45 pm »

Humans don't have huge diagonal eyes. At least as far as I know. Also, the legs seem really short, but I'm not very good at anatomy myself.

And maybe my eyes are bad, but I didn't see any texture on the road. Copying into an image editor and zooming in shows that there is one, but my brain reads it as compression artifacts. Staring at the picture for a bit longer does reveal that it keeps it from being a completely dull grey though.

Currently the person is at an angle, but the terrain is completely top-down. The simplest fix would be to simply make the lower grey portion of the grass tiles a bit taller, but it should be something that is used consistently. Maybe do the same for the grey tiles. To make it seem more like a physical tile, rather than just flat grey broken up by grey lines.

And finally pillow shading = bad. Pick a direction that light is coming from, and shade properly. I am referring the walls around the grassy tiles. The person is oddly shaded as well.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2077 on: April 12, 2014, 07:22:33 pm »

I like the tarmac texture, actually, it's quite easy on the eyes and provides just enough detail for it to not be dull. Besides that, everything cerapa says applies. I've been looking at your stuff for a while now, and i can say that you have definitely improved since the first time, so keep on trucking!

I was originally going to make a lengthy post here about straight lines and shit, but on further inspection, it's not nearly as glaring as my mind made it up to be, especially given how small the girl is. Instead, i shall just link to this tutorial that i have linked many times, particularly the last section with that example thing might be of use to you.

and now

for that mouse challenge thing
Spoiler: it's big and mousey (click to show/hide)
i call it

"dinosaur looks at a limegreen buttsun while pterodactyl spots what might be the end of the world as they know it"
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: April 12, 2014, 09:28:20 pm »

So here's something I've been working on and off for the past six months. If you look through some of my posts you can actually see how this project (I call it that because initially I thought it was going to be a videogame, then I thought of it as a suggestion game, perhaps in six months I'll think of it as a puppet show or something) is going, but I digress.
I'm going with an RPGish view for this one, which I am enjoying. This street is a work in progress, but most of it is done. Most of it is from already done sprites, some of which are from different projects, but I am personally really proud of the road texture I did for this. Initially it was a cracked, nasty looking road, which really didn't suit the scene (It's meant to be a rather nice, well-maintained city that is pleasant to look at) so I did a little bit of experimentation and eventually managed to make a really sweet road texture. If you look closely enough you can see it actually is like real tarmac with it's own pattern. I think it adds a bit of depth to the scene, but it may be just me. The road paint was done by using a transparent brush of various colors. I tried making one side brighter then the other but it just looked rubbish and I decided I would be much better served by making it flat.

Anyway, the thing that was bugging me is how I'm going to do the buildings. I want this to be similar to the business district in Dubai, but I wasn't quite sure how to go about making the bottom floors of skyscrapers from an RPG-like perspective without it being silly. This is meant to be a suggestion game so I'd like to make it low-maintance. Any tips on that front? Might be overly specific, but any techniques would be appreciated.

Ever played EarthBound? If you want the bottom floors of skyscrapers to look good, you may want to consider doing them like some of the game's buildings' exteriors but on a straighter perspective (if you didn't know, it was an isometric game). None of the game's buildings has a glass exterior, but the doors don't look half bad and if you mess with the idea, you get a pretty palatable door for pretty much anything. I have no clue what Dubai looks like, for the record; you may be able to use some of the general ideas behind the game's art direction.

If you haven't/for your amusement, I'll post a quick shot of a town in game with the player's party removed, courtesy of a quick Google search. On furtehr inspection it appears to be ever so slightly photoshopped, but if memory serves it resembles the real game well enough.
Spoiler: EarthBound (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Already posted this over on the facepalm thread in the dorf mode section, but this is how I envisioned a bunny who moved into my fort.

Spoiler: BUNNEH (click to show/hide)

Also, I made this after finding out that Twitch Plays Pokemon Fire Red ended up with a girl named A. Again.

Spoiler: END OF THE WORLD AAA (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:33:46 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: April 13, 2014, 01:39:25 am »

So I did what I do best and made another magic circle kerjigger. Not sure what for. I was originally going to replace Necromancy with this but halfway through I realized I couldn't fit it with the theme I'd decided on so I may not ever use it for anything, but it was a good experiment with the background complication geometry stuff. Nice and quick.

Also, I did the version in the spoiler because it technically meets the requirements ("mouse only" = "I used the mouse to click the stroke button >______________>").

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: April 13, 2014, 06:00:18 am »

So I drew this thing like thrice now:
- first time as a bright purple one-pixel-thick sketch in Paint.NET
- second time as a lineart (with the line tool), again in Paint.NET
- and then the final time with the sketch brush in Krita

And at this point I am not sure if I should color and shade it or leave it as-is, since it looks badass in its own right I feel.

It is slightly based on my previous weapon drawing in this thread, yes.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2081 on: April 13, 2014, 09:01:21 am »

I decided to try futzing around today with a really basic landscapey thing. I've learned that I can't into combining textures and perspective, but oh well. At that point I probably would want to look into legitimate 3D rendering programs instead of stubbornly trying to do everything in GIMP. I like the clouds, at least.

There's a pretty decent terrain generator I used to run every once in awhile called Terragen. It's pretty decent with how it works, and it allows for plugins to be used while at it. With enough time and processing power, I've made a few interesting scenes, and even rendered some DF terrain maps into the system, and got a better visual idea of the land.

Here's an example:
There are other angles I could approach it, but I was rendering the map top-down like in DF. Not taking pictures from different places in it.

EDIT:
I don't recall if I posted on here (this thread, specifically) with it or not, but I did this about a month ago, and I still think it's pretty neat. What happens when you combine the Electric Sheep screensaver with the Rainmeter desktop interface?

Spoiler: Something awesome (click to show/hide)

And yes, the background animates the entire time. How I got it to work is actually quite simple. Download Electric Sheep, and make a BAT file like this
Code: [Select]
@echo off
start es.scr /p65552
exit
Execute it, and then presto! You have an animating desktop. Toss in Rainmeter for an interface to go on top of it, and you have what I made. Life Imitates Art; you now have a Hollywood-esque "hacker" desktop.

PRO-TIP:
You can always ALT-F4 out of the Electric Sheep screensaver background. The Windows-Key also works if you need the toolbar (seeing as Electric Sheep even goes over it when it's in front; but if other programs or windows are in use, the toolbar will stick around otherwise; until Electric Sheep is selected again as the primary window (in front)), or want to open a program, or highlight Electric Sheep to close it (right-clicking to close it doesn't work, but you can still ALT-F4 out of it by clicking on it, and hitting that).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:44:37 am by Itnetlolor »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: April 13, 2014, 04:11:10 pm »

I assumed that splitting the background like this is allowed.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: April 13, 2014, 04:35:08 pm »

So I was doing some master studies and I got bored after two, so I went on to play some AoE 3, as the Japs, because they fuck shit up. Then I wanted to paint again, so I fired up the old wiki search engine and found a nice little picture of some samurai armour. And here I am some two or so hours later :
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2084 on: April 13, 2014, 04:39:50 pm »

AWWWW YES HE'S A FUCKIN GHOST SAMURAI WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAA----!!!!!!111!!!!!!~```~~~
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 845