Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Self-induced starvation  (Read 7838 times)

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
Self-induced starvation
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:21:11 pm »

My dwarves are punishing me, but I know not what for. My punishment is par for the course: confused frustration. I have over 1600 prepared meals available, none of them out of reach or forbidden, and yet my dorfs apparently refuse to eat any of them. Instead, they have starved themselves to the point that they are now hunting vermin for sustenance. A spiral is imminent. Why has this happened?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Self-induced starvation
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »

Do you have a burrow set up and the idiots dwarves assigned to it?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:26:19 pm »

Maybe they just wanted to look thin like the dwarves in all those fashion engravings?  So they fast to the point that even a wild rat looks tasty. Of course, they'll probably just end up purging later when they feel ashamed of themselves for eating the whole thing. It's sad, really...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:28:26 pm by King DZA »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:09 pm »

Maybe they just wanted to look thin like the dwarves in all those fashion engravings?  So they fast to the point that even a wild rat looks tasty. Of course, they'll probably just end up purging later when they feel ashamed of themselves for eating the whole thing. it's sad, really...
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
UltraValican cancels post:Interupted by Elven Supermodel Wife
Ummmm...GTG :D
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:17 pm »

Maybe they just wanted to look thin like the dwarves in all those fashion engravings?  So they fast to the point that even a wild rat looks tasty. Of course, they'll probably just end up purging later when they feel ashamed of themselves for eating the whole thing. it's sad, really...
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
UltraValican cancels post:Interupted by Elven Supermodel Wife
Ummmm...GTG :D

Amazing.

You should have more food than just prepared meals. They don't need cooked food to eat.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:50:27 pm »

Are you you didn't screw up a ramp somewhere severing their access to the food?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:00:33 am »

Did your military dwarfs claim them all?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:09:46 am »

if thats the case, im gonna laugh my ass off.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:14:52 am »

This.

Never, ever let your military dwarves take food or drink with them. They'll claim your entire stockpiles within the year.
If this is the case, your best bet is to arrange an unfortunate accident for all of your military personnel and guards. Undwarfly, dishonorable treatment for your honored servicedwarves but it might just save the fort. Better figure it out quick too.

Of course, checking for accidental burrow restrictions or broken ramps are both very good suggestions. However, your ramps are screwed up there's likely nothing to be done about it, because the dwarves will be too busy hunting vermin to save themselves.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 03:33:25 am »

If you dont allow them to have food with them, wont they starve to death while on the training routine? 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 07:12:02 am »

If you dont allow them to have food with them, wont they starve to death while on the training routine?
No. Just allow them to be off duty to eat / drink.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 11:29:24 am »

I don't use ramps, I use stairs. I currently have no burrows, anywhere. If it were the military issue, would forbidding then reclaiming all food fix the problem?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 11:40:26 am »

First, inspect your food and see if any of the pieces of food are listed as being owned by any dwarf.

Second, check your stairs carefully to see if you've accidentally turned any up/down stairs into down-only or up-only stairs, or otherwise broken pathing through the fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 12:01:59 pm »

All stairways are perfectly functional. How can I tell if food is claimed?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 12:21:39 pm »

One way would be to go to the Z-stocks, list, <tab> to expand to individual items (bookkeeper skills allowing) and then examine each item in the appropriate category, which I think should reveal (for each one you go into, which you can then back out of and scroll down one to check the next) ownership.  And if you've wandered down all 1600+ (or, to be honest, quite a few less of them if you want to leave a proportional bit of doubt) and found them all owned (or forbidden/to-be-dumped, or rotting) then you've found a problem that needs sorting.

And I don't think you can reclaim property from (living?) dwarves, if it's as described and the military is hogging the supplies.  But you can reconfigure all your units to not take meals (they can continue to take whatever liquid you've allowed) and if you can get any more edible stuff produced at least these ones won't get claimed (by anyone but the much more appreciative ravenous hordes, at least, who will eat and live, as opposed to nibble on something then wander off to get a different taste sensation).

Or so I think.  Corrections to the usual postal address. :)
Pages: [1] 2