Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677363 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1965 on: May 11, 2016, 10:08:35 pm »

So I have been looking through the game files a little and found the achievements.txt file.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wonder if changeing the "is_ironman = yes" to "is_ironman = no" would enable achievements outside of ironman mode or not..
Anyone here tried this yet?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1966 on: May 11, 2016, 10:11:39 pm »

I haven't, but I'd make a solid wager that the game has a checksum for it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: May 11, 2016, 10:59:37 pm »

So do Tributaries and Protectorates even exist? They were talked about in Dev Diary #19 but I see no evidence of them existing ingame.

Tributaries were said to be usually the result of a lost war. I can't find that option in peace negotiations. Protectorates are said to be automatically created of technologically uplifted species. When I did that, I just got a regular vassal.
Am I missing tech/something else or are they just not in the game?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: May 11, 2016, 11:25:46 pm »

Spoiler: We're all gonna die~ (click to show/hide)

(I'm the little blue blob all the way at the bottom of the picture.)

Spoiler: Day 2 Progress Report (click to show/hide)

It appears that the tide of Unbidden has been stalemated by the larger empires they've encountered. As a matter of fact if I'm looking at this correctly they've lost more systems than they've gained. However its going slow enough that I'm continuing on my plan of beating up my neighbors to steal their tech and vassalize them for the sake of making a giant wall of allies, along with a clear path to the Unbidden territory. Also it seems the Unbidden don't really seem to notice construction ships until they enter the portal system. No idea what's up with that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:31:34 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: May 11, 2016, 11:28:59 pm »

So do Tributaries and Protectorates even exist? They were talked about in Dev Diary #19 but I see no evidence of them existing ingame.

Tributaries were said to be usually the result of a lost war. I can't find that option in peace negotiations. Protectorates are said to be automatically created of technologically uplifted species. When I did that, I just got a regular vassal.

The Tributary thing is a mystery to me, but I do know that Protectorates exist. Boost a pre-FTL civilization and they should become one. The only problem is that Protectorates are almost identical to Vassals. The major differences are that the client gets a big boost to research, while their leige gets +1 influence a month (apparently) and not much else. Oh, and Protectorates automatically convert to Vassals when the progress far enough technologically too. Which I believe is a very low cap so... Yeah. Protectorates are a thing. A very silly thing.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: May 12, 2016, 12:06:49 am »

So the Peoples Republic of Haven, a military dictatorship of xenophile (yes, phile) fanatical militarists, has recovered from the "surprise Fallen Empire" I had mentioned a few pages back.
Over the next 30 years we have regained all the territories that we have lost to opportunistic empires. The smaller ones we have conquered and integrated into our society, the largest one we have turned into our vassal.
The PRoH grew large, spreading from almost the exact south of our ring shaped universe, where the powerful Fallen Empire blocked passage, to the exact west where we met with the dogged resistance of 2 allied avian nations. We had over 40 planets under our direct control, with almost 15 more under the control of our vassal.
It came as a shock to us when we noticed the signs that some...thing came our way from another universe. We had almost 10 years to prepare ourselves, then the first scouts arrived almost in the center of our Peoples Republic. The capital system and Gaston, our largest shipyard, were attacked, but Capital Fleet (11k combat power) and 2nd Fleet (10k) repelled the attack. 3rd and 4th Fleet were not as lucky and we lost 4 systems when the invaders managed to build orbital fortresses before the surviving fleets could be repaired and sent in to intervene.

Then the main force arrived. There were dozens of fleets, the smallest one as large as Capital Fleet, 2nd Fleet and the 1st Swarm of our vassal combined. The battle was hopeless. We lost system after system, the capital was one of the first, and won only one battle when the survivors of Capital Fleet drew one of the invader fleets into the combined fire of Gastons fortresses.
Thus the great evacuation begann. Thanks to our inproved wormholes we were able to jump past the Fallen Empire blocking the south and into the unsettled space beyond.
As the invaders consumed more and more of our planets we fled. Soon we had settled over 20 systems behind the barrier that was the xenophobic FE.
The invaders slowly consumed most of our old holdings (only the 5 planets closest to the FE survived), our vassal and several of our member races were driven to extinction and even the avian alliance lost most of its territory before the juggernaut stopped.

We have rebuilt, spreaded further into the west and grown again to almost 70 systems. The new capital, it was our 5th or 6th by now, Pollux had 4 habitable planets. 150 years have passed since the invaders appeared (~300 years since the game started). We now have 4 Fleets of over 40k combat power each plus another 40k of fortresses in each Pollux and the gateway system east of the FE. The first empire we met in the west was a gigantic empire of theocratic fox people that we have vassalized after a long and bloddy war, who have around 30k of ships in their own right.

I think we're finally ready to bring war back to the invaders. Or maybe get ourselves a shiny ringworld and connect the eastern and western part of the Peoples Republic.
Decisions in Ironman games are hard.  :-\

(I think I didn't enjoy a spess 4X so much since Imperium Galactica 2. I'm already at 45 hours...)
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: May 12, 2016, 12:26:01 am »

A xenophile military dictatorship... Wow.

"YOU WILL LUST FOR THE XENO AND YOU WILL FUCKING LIKE IT, FRIENDO"
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: May 12, 2016, 12:41:17 am »

My extragalactic invaders just claimed 6 or 7 unsettled planets on the galactic Rim and then just sat there for the last 40 years doing nothing.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: May 12, 2016, 12:41:49 am »

Everyone knows defeat means friendship, so long bloddy conquest is obviously the best way to bring love to the galaxy.

My extragalactic invaders just claimed 6 or 7 unsettled planets on the galactic Rim and then just sat there for the last 40 years doing nothing.

Mine were Fun and ate 50 or so planets before another AI empire (the avians who had 2 or 3 fleets with 20k+ between them) apparently killed most of their fleets. There are still quite a few invader fleets of 30k combat rating flying around, but a lot less then there used to be.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:51:28 am by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: May 12, 2016, 12:55:01 am »

Ehm, how does evasion exactly work? Do ships evade before getting hit in their shields, or the evasion starts working only after shields are down?

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: May 12, 2016, 12:59:48 am »

The Tributary thing is a mystery to me, but I do know that Protectorates exist. Boost a pre-FTL civilization and they should become one. The only problem is that Protectorates are almost identical to Vassals. The major differences are that the client gets a big boost to research, while their leige gets +1 influence a month (apparently) and not much else. Oh, and Protectorates automatically convert to Vassals when the progress far enough technologically too. Which I believe is a very low cap so... Yeah. Protectorates are a thing. A very silly thing.

In addition if you declare war on pre-ftl people, you can choose to make them protectorates, (you cant make them vassals, have to make them protectorates). In fact.. if you declare war on pre-ftl people who have pre-ftl vassals you can make them both protectorates in the same war (or just conquer them). ..Yes.. this happened to me. Someone got to space-age and thus got borders around their home system, but their was another pre-ftl people in their borders.. and then they went space-age and became their vassal. Boggles the mind.. they couldnt even send ships to each others systems. This may only apply to the semi-rare situations of got to space age but don't have ftl yet... or maybe it applies as long as they don't have all starting tech researched or something... donno.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:20:57 am by Rift »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 12, 2016, 01:20:35 am »

Ehm, how does evasion exactly work? Do ships evade before getting hit in their shields, or the evasion starts working only after shields are down?

AFAIK evasion reduces directly the chance to hit, so it should negate damage before shields are reduced. There are various modifiers to the chance and bigger weapons are easier to evade than smaller ones. (Size meaning mount size - small, medium, large.)

Regarding quality of life things, there is proper patch coming that will fix most of them. This means giving us options regarding message pauses and so forth.

Regarding protectorates, I'm not sure how they work, but they were supposed to be a special type of vassal that doesn't take part in your wars unless directly attacked. They are basically your pets that you are uplifting to become worthy contributors.

The fleet glue thing is due to AI war logic being weird. Basically if you have bigger fleet than they do or if the enemy has big fleets, AI will come and stick to the strongest ally fleet, hoping that the ally fleet goes kick the enemy and your combined strength is enough to overcome them.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 12, 2016, 01:25:42 am »

Aside from UI and graphics the game feels inferior to the one it tries to copy (Distant Worlds), at least in early/mid game. I find myself doing nothing at least 50% of the time. Diplomacy is very civ-like (which is bad, really bad) and there are no real ways to gain influence for 'peaceful' factions, which is pretty annoying and slows down (an already extremely sluggish) expansion. And you NEED to expand, since working/observing and just interacting with most objects/planets requires them to be inside of your borders. That annoys me to no end and in a lot of ways doesn't make much sense.

Some people argue that it was supposed to be about waging wars and such. Welp, why combat and diplomacy suck so much then? In any case I feel like the game is severely overrated, but could be fun in about two years, after Paradox will do what they do best (filling the empty shell of a game with 50+dlcs to make it playable). Good thing is it seems to be pretty easy to mod, so there's that.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: May 12, 2016, 01:27:32 am »

I encountered my first Fallen Empire. A Fanatic Xenophobe one...

They want me to vacate 10 colonies and I only have a measly 3k of firepower to oppose them.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:31:19 am by Wolock »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 12, 2016, 01:31:17 am »

If you are willing to lose your fleet, fighting them might be worth it - if you can destroy at least one of their ships. Scavenging the debris can unlock some really interesting technologies. Of course, you will lose the war anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 632