Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677346 times)

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2160 on: May 15, 2016, 06:28:58 am »

they can't keep this 'dlc train' business plan going forever (people will get fed up eventually)
Eh. The DLC train has worked so far with their other big games. Stellaris is more underwhelming than other launches but people won't get fed up with it as long as there's plenty of stuff in the free patches and the DLC is of good quality more often than not.
I think people are happy with Paradox's model because of the sheer amount of time you can sink into the games. I've spent 30 hours in Stellaris so far, but if I'd spent that $50 on movie tickets instead I'd be looking at maybe 10-12 hours of entertainment, tops.

Sure, but that's not really fair because that's true for most videogames- movies just aren't that cheap per hour of entertainment in general.  A better comparison would be stellaris versus other games, or specifically other 4x games.  Anyway, maybe I'll buy once the ultimate edition is on sale and the great mods have come out.
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: May 15, 2016, 06:36:55 am »

they can't keep this 'dlc train' business plan going forever (people will get fed up eventually)
Eh. The DLC train has worked so far with their other big games. Stellaris is more underwhelming than other launches but people won't get fed up with it as long as there's plenty of stuff in the free patches and the DLC is of good quality more often than not.
I think people are happy with Paradox's model because of the sheer amount of time you can sink into the games. I've spent 30 hours in Stellaris so far, but if I'd spent that $50 on movie tickets instead I'd be looking at maybe 10-12 hours of entertainment, tops.

Sure, but that's not really fair because that's true for most videogames- movies just aren't that cheap per hour of entertainment in general.  A better comparison would be stellaris versus other games, or specifically other 4x games.  Anyway, maybe I'll buy once the ultimate edition is on sale and the great mods have come out.

eh I wish I could rip off stellaris skin and graft it on the DW:U engine :P

edit
also, some ship design are silly
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:56:27 am by LoSboccacc »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: May 15, 2016, 06:45:36 am »

How do I/can I change my overall empire's ethos during play?  As my pops' ethics gradually diverge from my original ones, I kind of like the idea of the empire itself changing to match.  Yes, fine, we started off as peaceful xenophiles, but as time has gone on and we've met more and more of the horrifying inhuman bastards the shine has worn off, and now we're rampantly xenophobic and militaristic.  Can I get that to happen without it being part of a wholesale rebellion (which I guess I then won't control anyway)?

Similarly, I really like to have slaves but for some reason I can't and game won't tell if it's government or ethos. Can one change government btw?

I just messed around with ethos until it let me make my species with the Decadent trait.

My current empire is Xenophobic Militaristic Materialistic (which allows xenos slavery) and so far I have my home planet and two slave planets. Fun fact, my arm of a fairly populated huge galaxy is almost completely devoid of life. My science ships found two planets in the early space age that we subverted and subsequently enslaved, and that was it for a long, long time. I've got a metric balls-ton of room to expand into. It's great.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: May 15, 2016, 07:32:19 am »

How do I/can I change my overall empire's ethos during play?  As my pops' ethics gradually diverge from my original ones, I kind of like the idea of the empire itself changing to match.  Yes, fine, we started off as peaceful xenophiles, but as time has gone on and we've met more and more of the horrifying inhuman bastards the shine has worn off, and now we're rampantly xenophobic and militaristic.  Can I get that to happen without it being part of a wholesale rebellion (which I guess I then won't control anyway)?

Similarly, I really like to have slaves but for some reason I can't and game won't tell if it's government or ethos. Can one change government btw?

I think you have to Collectivist or Religious to have slaves, but as mentioned take the Decadent trait in the builder and you can't make a race without having Slavery enabled. Also, check that it's not just a Government tab policy that needs to be toggled.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: May 15, 2016, 08:11:27 am »

I could enable slavery despite only ethics being fanatic materialists. However xenos only option was locked :c

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: May 15, 2016, 08:14:14 am »

Apparently if you gene-mod your species, they count as aliens. Which is a problem if your empire is xenophobic. I tried to add a trait to my entire species to make them live longer, and now they're all unhappy because as xenos they are second class citiziens. Even if there literally are no original humans, except for the ruler. There really should be a way to change your primary species.
So, don't mod your entire empire.
I could enable slavery despite only ethics being fanatic materialists. However xenos only option was locked :c
Only xenophobes can do that, I think.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: May 15, 2016, 09:43:30 am »

Been trying this whole game to create some kind of multi race melting pot.  I forgot to take xenophile but I didn't take xenophobe and most of my neiboring races are xenophile so I imagine that makes up for it.

I have mutual migration access with everyone in my alliance, which I actually managed to start myself thanks to neighboring another race with almost exactly my ethics giving them gifts constantly, and then building up a massive battle fleet until they said 'Yannow, we've been calling them glorious sphinxes for a few decades now, maybe we should actually join them' before throwing that battle fleet against a 1.5k bunch of energy clouds guarding a black hole.

And I still have yet to see a single xeno show up on one of my planets.  I managed to vassilize and am integrating a species that started out as steam age, despite their opposing ethics out of desperation.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there an easier way to make a melting pot empire?

P.S. Also I think I found another bug to add to y'all's buglists.  Naturally by having an alliance and attempting to integrate a vassal I am downright hemorrhaging influence.   My influence just hit 0 and the integration of the vassal is still progressing at the normal rate.  Not being slowed at all by the fact that I only have half the influence income per month that they say they need per month to be integrated.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:08:24 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: May 15, 2016, 11:05:20 am »

Pops migrate if they'd be happier elsewhere.

If all your planets are arid and they prefer ocean then it's not really going to happen.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: May 15, 2016, 12:28:47 pm »

Apparently if you gene-mod your species, they count as aliens. Which is a problem if your empire is xenophobic. I tried to add a trait to my entire species to make them live longer, and now they're all unhappy because as xenos they are second class citiziens. Even if there literally are no original humans, except for the ruler. There really should be a way to change your primary species.

Can Xenophiles gene-mod? Would this actually result in them loving themselves more for being aliens?  :D

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 15, 2016, 12:42:44 pm »

Can Xenophiles gene-mod? Would this actually result in them loving themselves more for being aliens?  :D

They can gene mod, but aliens are never xenos to themselves. I assume it would make them love members of the original species

Now I wonder if gene-modding a charismatic species would cause modded and non-modded pops to give happiness bonuses to each other. This needs some science, too bad I only played space fascists so far :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: May 15, 2016, 01:06:04 pm »

I created a new game on a huge map with only one other AI empire. It's been great so far. No need to deal with AI when I don't see it.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: May 15, 2016, 01:50:57 pm »

This game has reawakened my "One More Turn" syndrome, so I downloaded all my space 4X games once more. Gal Civ 2 and 3, Sword of the Stars 1 and 2, Endless Space, Star Ruler 2, Space Empires 5 (its good with mods! Dont judge me!), Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion, and I'll go ahead and throw the X games in here, X3 TC and AP and Rebirth.

Welp, goodbye free time, hello SPACEEEEEEEEEE.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: May 15, 2016, 01:51:52 pm »

Genemodded rapid breeding for unhappyness creating xenophobe avian pop from primitive planet, then filled some useless planet with them, arranged visa for those little asshole rapid breeding owls genetically modified to be even more assholes, and let them populate hostile empires, now they riot everywhere and create their own asshole little states.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: May 15, 2016, 01:54:59 pm »

They can gene mod, but aliens are never xenos to themselves. I assume it would make them love members of the original species

Now I wonder if gene-modding a charismatic species would cause modded and non-modded pops to give happiness bonuses to each other. This needs some science, too bad I only played space fascists so far :P
My Plump-helmets are charismatic so I'm testing this out as soon as I get Gene modding.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: May 15, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »

So apparently ever since launch there's been a big bug that they're aware of that causes pops to mostly lose ethical positions rather than gain them when divergence occurs, and this has lead to a mostly static internal political diversification. They're fixing this.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 632