Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677346 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2580 on: May 24, 2016, 03:19:12 pm »

Edit: Also, apparently I can make Android Xenomorphs. Science works in mysterious ways. Maybe they are cyberdemon type things.

You can make robotic gene warriors so... Yeah. It's a thing. An extremely silly thing.
You can clone army your droids too I believe! And make robotic versions of titanic life from that one planetary special

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: May 24, 2016, 03:29:02 pm »

Edit: Also, apparently I can make Android Xenomorphs. Science works in mysterious ways. Maybe they are cyberdemon type things.

You can make robotic gene warriors so... Yeah. It's a thing. An extremely silly thing.
You can clone army your droids too I believe! And make robotic versions of titanic life from that one planetary special

At least robotic titanic monsters kinda make sense. Maybe that's how the AT-AT was born.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2582 on: May 24, 2016, 03:40:42 pm »

At least robotic titanic monsters kinda make sense. Maybe that's how the AT-AT was born.
But it begs the question why I needed to find dinosaurs before I could build dinosaur robots. Why not just make the big robots to start?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:01 pm »

So I've been working on a personal balance modification to some of the mods I use (Beautiful Battles and Rangefinder). The net result is:

Decreased damage on S weapons (except the alien salvage ones, since those were shit already, and also excluding PD weapons)
Increased damage on L weapons
Dramatically increased range on missiles
Increased range on lances, kinetic artillery, arc emitters, energy torpedoes
Decreased range on torpedoes
Mass Drivers given 50% extra shield damage (to match their lying fucking flavor text)
Kinetic artillery given 100% extra shield damage

--

I intend to change the Rangefinder computers such that all of them have the "orbit and fire" behavior rather than the "run away" behavior, have one at the longest range have the "run away" behavior (for carriers), and add more so that missile and heavy L weapon boats can snipe from farther out. No idea if any of that's possible since I haven't dug into the files yet.

If anyone's using those mods and is interested in the changes, I can toss a link your way once I'm finished and have them tested. The general intent of my changes is to make long-range combat not only possible but viable, to give missiles a real advantage to make them stand out against torpedoes and compensate for them having a hard counter, to make non-autocannon kinetics not suck, and to make large ships carrying large weapons feel legitimately awesome. It also gives purpose back to Corvettes as something beyond ablative armor, since their speed might be necessary to chase down carriers and missile boats.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: May 24, 2016, 05:22:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Android xenomorphs are not as silly as they might seem.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: May 24, 2016, 05:34:43 pm »

So... can i get a rough comparison between this and Distant Worlds?
Scale? quite small, game has plenty limiters (energy, navy size, planet count maluses)
Battles? boring and prone to one winning true strategy
Interactivity? that's quite good actually. anomalies are more interesting and nuanced for as long as you read them. otherwise expect an unending list of "trinkets of +100 research". even relicts are lame, compared to capitals found in distant worlds which really are game changing (where is not uncommon to find caps with 3x the shield and 10x the firepower)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2586 on: May 24, 2016, 05:37:35 pm »

Possibly more fun, you can attach xeno cavalry to your robot armies. Robots riding aliens.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: May 24, 2016, 06:12:55 pm »

Android xenomorphs are not as silly as they might seem.

I am talking about using robot pops for gene warrior armies. According to the game these are, "Genetically enhanced super soldiers. Recruits are typically chosen from the elite of the conventional military forces. These then undergo extensive gene therapy, and are made larger, stronger, and faster than their peers." So these aren't android xenomorphs. These are robots genetically enhanced to be super soldiers. Genetically enhanced robots. Probably riding xeno calvary. :v

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: May 24, 2016, 06:34:54 pm »

Started a roleplay-based game for my second video LP of this (wanted a bit of a change from peaceful explorer/scientists trying to create machine life) with a simple restriction; every year, the ancient deity at the heart of our homeworld demands one billion souls for sacrifice - conveniently about the same amount as the Purge button supplies in six months.  If the Maw is satisfied, she continues to sleep soundly for another six months.

If not, she stirs in her sleep and the resulting destruction will kill (read: I purge) two thirds of the homeworld population.

As I have swiftly discovered, the Zolmac reproduce at about half the rate of the purges.  Suddenly my exploration strategy has radically changed.  We don't have time to survey every system, planet by planet.  Instead the expeditionary fleet goes out, does a visual scan of each system (i.e. looking out the window) to see if any planets look like they might bear life, then sends the scientist in to survey that planet and only that planet before zipping on to the next world.

We really, really need to find some primitives to sacrifice, or we won't last the decade.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: May 24, 2016, 06:38:28 pm »

Genetically enhanced robots. Probably riding xeno calvary. :v
Well a good explanation would be your soldiers being basically brains in jars locked inside a mechanical body. The gene therapy enhances the brain and the body is basically a robot.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: May 24, 2016, 06:43:16 pm »

Oh hey, another reason to use Rangefinders. People have been complaining about overkill wasting DPS? There's a line in the rangefinder target-prioritization stuff that drops a pretty substantial penalty on targeting calculations in which a ship is considering targeting an enemy ship smaller than itself. And the behavioral stuff looks pretty easy to modify all around.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2591 on: May 24, 2016, 06:55:04 pm »

Heads up guys, there's a manufactured controversy being put forth by games journalism over PI shutting down the European Phenotype mod. Basically the mod changed the portrait to European names and portraits, and PI didn't really mind, there were already Chinese versions for example - when the mod author started making Sweden YES jokes the PI devs thought nah m8s SHUT IT DOWN, because it was one thing to have a graphic mod and it was another to be putting political messages in it that the grubby dorito press were noticing. To protect their brand image they had to do this small thing - but then the dorito press begin spinning this as either Sweden YES or Sweden NO, with one side being triggered and the other side being all "you wouldn't do this for the African mod" e.t.c.
Then Paradox Interactive people are in the crossfire all: "Please relax your mammaries everyone, we pulled it down to avoid political shitfest, y u do dis now? Please stop arguing and buy more DLC"

But the arguing will never stop, because we have not finished researching the Ministry of Benevolence

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: May 24, 2016, 07:01:49 pm »

So, I have 59.99 dollars on my Steam wallet thanks to a good friend of mine.

Think Stellaris is worth buying in its current state? It give me 20 dollars leftover to spend on something else. Or should I wait for some DLC?

Looks really fun thus far, and my favorite youtuber (kottabos) is playing it. And been looking forward to it for a while. But I know when I bought EU4 at release, it was pretty barebones...but I still really enjoyed it and was fun when first DLC came out how much better it became from just that one DLC. So I got to see EU4 progress to an awesome game that I got more hours on than any other game lol
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: May 24, 2016, 07:03:21 pm »

words

Ah well, there was going to be a blowout no matter what they did. Not that it matters, as someone will probably reupload the mod at a later date.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:56 pm »

words

Ah well, there was going to be a blowout no matter what they did. Not that it matters, as someone will probably reupload the mod at a later date.
It already had a mirror in moddb before being taken down. Yet this mirror doesn't have the multiculturalism bit.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 632